X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

Focus ???

I'm putting this out there as a overall question. What do you focus on while Speed Bagging? What does your eyes focus on, the bag, the swivel, your hands? What does your hearing focus on, the rhythm of the bag the beat of the music your listening to? how does it feel, Do you notice how the bag comes your hands/elbows, your muscle fatigue, or different body mechanics? Do you like to chew gum while bagging? Does chewing gum help you focus? I seem to be battling with inconsistency, and mishits. i think mainly i need to focus my eyes more, I'm not going to say where my eyes are at now cause I don't want to sway anyones answer. I want to get more consistent, which comes from time I'm sure. Things I was automatic with are alluding me. So I'm looking for any advice on how to focus, or how you focus. I'm going to make a vid soon for everyone to critique. Thanks! Speed Bag Sparrky
  • Brother Cavefish
    • Jan 2011

just to chime in , i am new on the board, and learning new techniques myself , personaly , i watch the center of the bag and where my fists go, and rely on the sound , sound relates to speed and that helps for hand placement , for me anyway
    i dont use music nor do i feel i am headed that way, i like the Sound of my mind and the bag working together in peace and quiet--------my goal is concentration ,calmness and the discipline of my spirit

these are some good bag rhythms, in my book--novaspeed bagger on his "Practicing a Combo" - TES TES , had a great beat
    msdevilles "2 minute workout" the second vid had a nice bag rhythm
    metaldad had a cool rhythm on "After work bag session"

yea i lean towards the rhythm and sound of the bag, its a good stress relief too
    Last edited by Brother Cavefish; 02-25-2011, 02:38 PM.
    Choose You this day , Whom You shall Serve

Comment

• Allentown
      • Oct 2010

From a boxing standpoint, you should focus on the center and the biggest part of the bag. It is all timing. You can watch a video of Freddie Roach teaching a student on You Tube. I will look for it and get back to you.

Comment

• Avadia
        • Nov 2010

As Allentown said, it is all timing (and, I will add, accuracy). Focusing your eyes and ears on anything is a distraction. Instead, I think you should kind of defocus your eyes and ears. Instead, try to concentrate on the flow of your punches (that's the timing part) and the accuracy of your strikes. Obviously, if you mis-strike the bag, you will be thrown off. So every strike must be absolutely accurate. Timing is one of those things that just kind of happens. If you try to watch the bag and think about each strike, you will never have it. Rather, the punching should happen at a natural rhythm, which just comes with practice.

. . .

I just went down to hit the bag for a few minutes to see what my tendencies are. I found that I tend to either stare at the bottom of the swivel or the center of the bag. I noticed a lot less mis-hits when I stare at the center of the bag, so I am going to make an effort to do that from now on. I also noticed that my eyes are slightly unfocused. They are focused on a point a foot or so in front of the bag. So I am not consciously watching the movement of the bag or focusing on the bag, I am just staring at a point beyond the bag, looking right through the middle of the belly of the bag. I am also not thinking about when to strike with my fist. I am just doing it naturally in rhythm with the speed of the bag. Hope this helps.
        Last edited by Avadia; 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Inkspill
          • Dec 2010

I begin by focusing on the belly of the bag where I am striking, sometimes my attention wanders up to the swivel or the 'stem'? of the bag, or I focus on the sound of the bag, and focus on the striking surface I'm hitting with, making sure I hit consistently.. I then work towards using black dot focus (an American Kenpo focus) by 'unfocusing' on any one particular thing, and become aware of all things, I feel the hits, hear the beat pick up the movement of the bag, hear the music playing on the speakers behind me, feel the cold air blowing in from the window, feel the foam mats I'm standing on, etc.

in black dot focus and white dot focus, black represents unawareness, and white represents awareness.

example, hold your finger up in front of your face, about 6 inches away from your brow ridge. now make your finger in focus, look at the details of your finger. you'll notice that everything else around your finger is blurry. this is white dote focus, the awareness area is small

now change your focus so the finger is not in focus, open your awareness to everything around you, except that finger, this is black dot focus, the black dot/unawareness is the finger, everything else you are aware of.

picture example:

white dot focus

look at everything you can see in the first picture, right down the details or just remember what you see. then check out the second pic

black dot focus

what did you see that you didn't notice before? a whole lot! now, instead of focusing on a particular item in the background or foreground, unfocus and observe the whole picture. you should recognize the shapes of various things without having to focus on them, and you are aware of where they are in the picture.
          Last edited by Inkspill; 02-25-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I just ran out to the garage to give this a try too. If anything, I focus on where I am making the bag hit on the back of the board. In doing that, it kinda makes my body sway into its natural rhythm. I can tell how square a hit was based on whether it went to the spot on the board I wanted or not. My eyes wander the whole time...the bag, the swivel, the wall, the dog, the board... I'm not much help, but I'd be interested in what others focus on.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

I usually find myself looking at the swivel and neck of the bag. Possibly what you find yourself naturally doing may be best. When I try to change it feels uncomfortable. I've heard that in football watching the waist of your opponent will tell which way they will move, it may be helpful in bagging to do similar by watching the swivel. I find that I can do some things better with my eyes closed so looking may actually hinder or fatigue you. As the lens in you eyes get older and harden they loose the ability to focus. Watching the bag may be stressful as it moves in bigger arcs than the swivel. It would be interesting to hear from more accomplished baggers as to what they have learned along the way. I assume boxers would keep a wider field of view to look out for punches and openings to punch. Whatever is most relaxing will make for better bagging.

Comment

• Inkspill
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                I usually find myself looking at the swivel and neck of the bag. Possibly what you find yourself naturally doing may be best. When I try to change it feels uncomfortable. I've heard that in football watching the waist of your opponent will tell which way they will move, it may be helpful in bagging to do similar by watching the swivel. I find that I can do some things better with my eyes closed so looking may actually hinder or fatigue you. As the lens in you eyes get older and harden they loose the ability to focus. Watching the bag may be stressful as it moves in bigger arcs than the swivel. It would be interesting to hear from more accomplished baggers as to what they have learned along the way. I assume boxers would keep a wider field of view to look out for punches and openings to punch. Whatever is most relaxing will make for better bagging.

My eyes are just going to keep getting worse? Damn it.

Comment

• sparrky37
                  • Jan 2010

This has been helpful! I've let my eyes wander from swivel to hands to all over, it's like reading a book for me I'm reading, but I'm thinking of other things not focusing on what I'm reading. So I've done the Dot techniques, and it works really well! I can feel myself getting more focused, and more precise with my Bagging! Thanks everyone!

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Allentown View Post
                    From a boxing standpoint, you should focus on the center and the biggest part of the bag. It is all timing. You can watch a video of Freddie Roach teaching a student on You Tube. I will look for it and get back to you.
                    Is this the video?

Great tips here for all three bags!! I was watching this Yesterday for some DE bag advice. Good video!
                    Last edited by metaldad; 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                      I'm putting this out there as a overall question. What do you focus on while Speed Bagging? What does your eyes focus on, the bag, the swivel, your hands?
                      Kinda like playing ping pong, I scan the general hitting area. I can focus on the swivel (and do if it's a chain link or U-Bolt to see the angle or bag attachment during the rebound) or the bag belly if the bag looks a little weak or I detect a mis-hit.

... What does your hearing focus on, the rhythm of the bag the beat of the music your listening to?
                      YES. The rhythm of the bag if I'm hitting freestyle solo, and the bag beat in my head to the music if I'm Punch Drumming. The speed bag is largely about SOUND. I hear the bag beat to music all the time, with a bag or without.

how does it feel, Do you notice how the bag comes your hands/elbows, your muscle fatigue, or different body mechanics?
                      There is a rhythmic flow to your body movements, arms, feet etc. I "feel the flow" of it all, unless I'm working on something specific. I'm starting to concentrate on new movements that still feel unnatural to me. That means Slow down and work on mechanics.

Do you like to chew gum while bagging? Does chewing gum help you focus?
                      Nope. Just the opposite. Chewing gum doesn't sync for me. If I have it in my mouth I stop chewing while hitting.

I seem to be battling with inconsistency, and mishits. i think mainly i need to focus my eyes more, I'm not going to say where my eyes are at now cause I don't want to sway anyones answer. I want to get more consistent, which comes from time I'm sure. Things I was automatic with are alluding me. So I'm looking for any advice on how to focus, or how you focus. I'm going to make a vid soon for everyone to critique. Thanks! Speed Bag Sparrky
                      Sounds to me like your stale and need to change your workout a bit. Hit larger bags for slower speed or pound it basically for power. Or get a small, fast bag and make yourself hit it as slow as possible. that takes massive control... to do very slow Double and Triple Elbow Strikes joined with single or double fist pass throughs. Very slow fist rolling.

Maybe work on some new areas you've never done. New techniques or new combinations. Start Slow and concentrate on body / arm position and movement.

Or - Maybe you're overdoing a bit an just need to take a break. It happens. Don't hit it, actually avoid it, until you really miss it.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• 08speed3
                        • Dec 2010

This is a cool topic! I tried to see what i look at. For me its the swivel & the belly of the bag. If i make my eyes wander anywhere else i mishit! lol! Very intresting comments everybody!

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                          My eyes are just going to keep getting worse? Damn it.
                          Sorry Inkspill. At 53, I've been wearing progressive trifocals for a while. Takes some getting used to. They're made for reading, 19" for computer and distant going from bottom to top. So you have to tip your head to get the zone for focusing. I do require adjustments from pair to pair over time. I've worn since the 7th grade, it's interesting to see how many are supposed to but choose not. I'll take being able to see over vanity any day.

Comment

• Allentown
                            • Oct 2010

Yes, Metaldad

That is the exact Freddie Roach video. It is very useful. He is my favorite trainer.

Comment

• sparrky37
                              • Jan 2010

Those are great trainig videos by Roach!

Yes, Alan I need to purchase a slightly larger bag, and start slowing down, and refine old moves, and learn some new ones!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...