Clear All
  • stompy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2011

Speed Bag on a Heavy Stand

Hi All,

I recently purchased a speed bag (this one):

and the everlast heavy stand:

I found that the speed bag mount on the heavy stand is very lose and the whole contraption shakes when I'm hitting the speed bag. This messes up the whole flow of everything a bit and is somewhat annoying. I was wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this problem or could offer any suggestions on how to improve the stability of my speed bag.

Thanks
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

The only way I have found to make a free standing floor frame with a single vertical pole more stable is to use some type of board stabilization system like straps. At the bottom of this page is a sample of what I used years ago when I was using one quite a bit. The board still shook a bit but not nearly as bad without the straps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by stompy View Post
      Hi All,

I found that the speed bag mount on the heavy stand is very lose and the whole contraption shakes when I'm hitting the speed bag. This messes up the whole flow of everything a bit and is somewhat annoying. I was wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this problem or could offer any suggestions on how to improve the stability of my speed bag.

Thanks
      I had that exact model... yes it will shake a lot. What I did was added wood to the top of the drum, with longer screws bolts, then put a 50lb bag of sand wrapped in trash bag and tape. The extra weight helps a bit ... HOWEVER ... that type of platform is ALWAYS going to shake and move.

My suggestion would be to use it for now, and if you really get into the art of speed bagging, get a wall mount or ceiling mount or other high quality platform.

This is from back when that model had a split, two piece drum. You can see the wood I attached to the top. Notice how much it's moving...
      I never got around to trying straps as Alan suggested, but that would have helped as well... however, at some point you need to decide how much work/money you want to dump into it rather than buy something else...

Comment

• PIEFURZ
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by stompy View Post
        Hi All,

Thanks
        Stompy, you didn't mention but I hope you weighed down the stand. It has post for stacking weight lifting plates. Lay some sand bags on the legs if you don't have plates. If you don't have a heavy bag you may want to hang a sand bag just to add more weight. Some weight and straps will help stabalize the board. Although I've had a stand like this at a gym break apart due to extra stress from straps. Plan on a good wall mount like Tim suggest.

Comment

• stompy
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2011

Thanks for the suggestion guys - I haven't hung my heavy bag yet so I'll give that a shot as well as putting some sand bags in some key areas. I think since I'm a beginner it won't really matter too much but if it turns out I really get into speed bagging, it appears just buying a wall mount will be more efficient than trying to get a heavy stand to work.

Comment

• Hannibal
            • Dec 2010

I recently had to buy a stand as well...what a difference from the wall unit I had grown accustomed to using. The everlast unit drum is not actually 24 inches from what I can tell...I feel cramped, and it doesn't allow for great rebound. If you want to fix this..get a sand bag..tape it up...and place it on top. Other modification I have undertaken is to buy two 24' countertops from lowes to place more weight on top..I am also having a steel metal disk cut for me to meld to the top of my drum for extra support. The weight of these combined or even by using a stronger drum will help. My cousin has used the countertop mod, and I was sold after seeing some of the great rebounds he gets off it. Its a real pain in the butt, but hey some of us can't have wall units. Straps are not recommended from my point of view on the stock parts for the everlast unit. It will break. Good luck and their are others with ya dealing with the same problem. I think after a little work and the recc's in this forum a solid solution is not far off hand here.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...