• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CHAZ
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2010

Stand alone speed bag

I recently moved into an older house which is poorly constructed of dry wall and I don't trust the studs in the walls. So a speed bag stand seems like it would be the best route, but what should I construct it out of? I was thinking of building a stand out of wood, but I don't have a ton of space available. I would appreciate any input
  • PIEFURZ
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Chaz, are you sure the walls aren't plaster? Hopefully anything with drywall would be newer and still fairly sturdy. If it were plaster I could see that breaking away and would recommend stripping down to the studs and building out with plywood. Home made free standing would take something with weight to keep it from moving and enough bracing to keep it from flexing and coming apart. Tim had some cages at SB2010 that supported 8 bags on one and 4 on the other. Kinda big for home use. Although I believe he uses something that he built at home. Take a look at some of his post, you'll probably get some ideas from him. I'm in an apartment and have thought of building but not sure what either. Good luck, hope it works out.

Comment

• Brother Cavefish
      • Jan 2011

i will tell you this anything you build out of wood is going to be bulky , i built my speed bag platform out of wood
      Choose You this day , Whom You shall Serve

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
        Tim had some cages at SB2010 that supported 8 bags on one and 4 on the other. Kinda big for home use. Although I believe he uses something that he built at home.
        Here's the rack in my garage. it's 5' x 5' x 8'

Comment

• jumpcannon
          Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

That is an AWSOME setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• 08speed3
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post

WHOA! thats a set up! Speedbags, sound system & pull up bar! NICE!

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally Posted by PIEFURZ
              Tim had some cages at SB2010 that supported 8 bags on one and 4 on the other. Kinda big for home use. Although I believe he uses something that he built at home.

Sorry Tim, I didn't mean to refer to the Speed Bag Shrine as "something that he built at home". Actually I hear if you build one it has to face towards Waco Texas according to some Speed Bag Bible religious cult thing. Those guys in TX are fanatics about Speed Bags. See ya at SB2011.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

.....Sorry Tim, I didn't mean to refer to the Speed Bag Shrine as "something that he built at home". Actually I hear if you build one it has to face towards Waco Texas according to some Speed Bag Bible religious cult thing. Those guys in TX are fanatics about Speed Bags. See ya at SB2011.
                HA! I gotta tell ya, the guys in Florida are pretty fanatical about speed bags too.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                  That is an AWSOME setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Originally posted by 08speed3 View Post
                  WHOA! thats a set up! Speedbags, sound system & pull up bar! NICE!
                  Thanks guys. That's actually an older shot. It looks a lot nicer with the Balazs speed bag platform in there.

Originally Posted by PIEFURZ

Sorry Tim, I didn't mean to refer to the Speed Bag Shrine as "something that he built at home". Actually I hear if you build one it has to face towards Waco Texas according to some Speed Bag Bible religious cult thing. Those guys in TX are fanatics about Speed Bags. See ya at SB2011.

Ha ha, no sweat Piefurz. It is indeed "built at home" and proud of it. Working out on equipment you've built yourself does indeed make for a more satisfying experience.

In regards to Waco, I should check that sometime. It may have just naturally aligned itself to point that way

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  HA! I gotta tell ya, the guys in Florida are pretty fanatical about speed bags too.
                  I just wish there were more of us... dedicated baggers are still few and far between.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Thanks guys. That's actually an older shot. It looks a lot nicer with the Balazs speed bag platform in there.

Ha ha, no sweat Piefurz. It is indeed "built at home" and proud of it. Working out on equipment you've built yourself does indeed make for a more satisfying experience.

In regards to Waco, I should check that sometime. It may have just naturally aligned itself to point that way

I just wish there were more of us... dedicated baggers are still few and far between.
                    Actually I didn't mean anything bad by built at home. I should have called it "the Shrine he built at home" to show proper respect. If it's not bolted down punching will make it align that way.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...