X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avadia
    • Nov 2010

Cross Training for the Speed Bag

A recent discussion with Metaldad about Kettlebells got me thinking and wondering about various cross-training techniques. I am curious what other tools and techniques you guys use to train arms and shoulders to help your speed bagging. I'll share a few of mine.

First of all, as I discussed with MD, I have found kettlebells to be a great training tool for shoulder strength as well as endurance and cardio. Particularly, overhead presses, snatches, renegade rows, and an exercise called the Turkish getup are all great shoulder workouts. Here is a good quick video example of some of the exercises you can do with Kettlebells: Steve Cotter: Extreme Kettlebell Workout.

Another tool that I have found quite helpful for increasing shoulder strength and mobility are indian clubs. These are small clubs, the lightest of which are about a pound each, that you can swing in various formations. If you learn how to do them right, they really work the shoulder and rotator cuff muscles. My shoulder muscles are literally burning after a good workout with my indian clubs. Here is a quick video demonstrating a basic swing pattern: Indian Club Exercise.

One other technique I use is to hold a pair of small dumbbells (start with a five pounder in each hand and work up from there) at eye height, and about a foot in front of my face, with my elbows up and slightly bent, just like a speed bag punching stance, and just hold them there for as long as you can. Rest for a minute and then repeat. This is a great isometric exercise that will build your shoulder endurance so you can keep your elbows up while hitting the bag.

Those are a few of my tricks. How about you guys? Anybody have any special tools or techniques they like to use?
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

great video's I really liked the indian clubs I may have to get me a pair of those

Comment

• Avadia
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
      I may have to get me a pair of those
      Here's where I got mine: Perform Better

Comment

• toolboxdiver
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
        Here's where I got mine: Perform Better
        Thanks

Comment

• PIEFURZ
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Alas, I don't do anything to stay in shape but speedbagging. Although that is why I do it. I grew up hauling hay bales on farms which had me looking like a 150 lb body builder. No other sports, just school PE class. Anyway the act of lifting 50 to 60 lb bales from the ground and throwing them overhead onto a trailer will build you up. A similar action with weights would work. The lifting builds biceps and the throwing gets the triceps. All of it works the back and shoulders. I suggest workouts that are fluent with a full range of motion, don't stop at chin level. Swimming would probably be great for speed without bulk. I think speed bagging for the arms is like running is for the legs. You can get cardio and speed but don't necessarily want bulk. Although a certain amount of bulk and strength is necessary with the benefit of flexibility and speed. I vote for speed bagging as the best exercise ever!! Just kidding, don't forget the legs in case you have to run from a fight.

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
            ...I vote for speed bagging as the best exercise ever!! Just kidding, don't forget the legs in case you have to run from a fight.
            Did you think we would forget the legs?
            Attached Files

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Not exactly what I had in mind, but whatever punches your bag. I just remembered a body builder in the weight room when I first started speedbaging back in 77. He was 5' 5 or 6" at most and all upper body, no leg development at all. It's a wonder his legs could carry the rest of him around. So don't forget your legs.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                Did you think we would forget the legs?
                Interesting swivels back in those days.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Avadia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  And HUGE bags.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    I bought a similar looking one recently. It's called the "Professional Kno Knot" swivel, patented in 1907,

I'll post photos of it soon. The bag that came with it has a swivel permanently attached to the loop, a simple metal swivel like you might find on a dog leash. The Kno Knot swivel itself does not seem like a great swivel, it's not very smooth. But it looks cool, and with a long rope and a heavy speed bag, it probably worked well enough.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...