X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aad03

• Jan 2010

Template for Balazs Platform Modification

To modify a Balazs drum to allow the swivel screws to bolt through the platform, rather than only thread into the wood, print the attached pdf file. This can also be used if you are building a homemade platform. Make sure the "Page Scaling" is set to "None" in the "Page Setup" before printing. You can verify this by measuring the given dimensions on the actual printout.
    Attached Files
  • ryanmross
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2010

Thanks!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Genius. Great help to those who want to make the move to bolt the swivel.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dumbcluck
        • Jun 2013

Swivels

Are you suggesting that all swivels will use the same holes?
        I have two different swivels with two different configurations on them. Is this not normal?
        Jimbo

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Everlast, Deville, and Powermill ball hooks all use the same spacing. Other swivels may vary.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
            • Jun 2013

Thanks

Thanks paranday. I'm pretty new at this so just checking with the veterans. Is it common then to drill more than one set of holes to interchange swivels?
            My guess is that this would not affect performance but as Alan says, if you don't know, you don't know.
            Jimbo

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dumbcluck View Post
              Thanks paranday. I'm pretty new at this so just checking with the veterans. Is it common then to drill more than one set of holes to interchange swivels?
              My guess is that this would not affect performance but as Alan says, if you don't know, you don't know.
              The spacing of the holes in base part of most swivels will normally line up, if they have FOUR holes. Sometimes I have found it necessary to "ream out" one or more just a bit wider for variance, but mostly they fit with either 1/4 or sometimes #10 bolts if they metal hole is a bit too small for the 1/4.

However, with the variation of these new frames that have a thick metal "V" over the center of the board, it is more difficult to figure and plan this. I have seem some methods of drilling the holes all the way through and fastening the bolt actually inside the top channel iron, and I have seen others that drill the holes all the way through to the top of the "V" framing metal, requiring longer bolts to fit through.

I've considered the need to drill all the swivel holes all the way through a basic necessity for guarenteed base tightness. But for my own equipment, the center of the board has always been "open". With the modern trend to use the more stylist "V", I would altar that to say that perhaps two of the holes, the easiest ones through the flat part of the top frame, might be enough. I have occasionally hit bags on swivel that only had two tight attachments on the base, and they did alright as far as I could tell. Of course, four is a better guarentee of a fully secure base, but if you used two screws and two bolts attached over the top, it should also work fine.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Here's hoping the "V" will go away and be forgotten.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
                  • Jun 2013

Thanks Alan

I get what you're saying and I agree. I do have the v shape I box. I've been considering this potential problem and thought about drIlling and tapping the v channel to hold the bolts I'd just prefer to only do one set of holes though, limiting me to what fits. Should be fine. I'll figure something out.
                  Thanks again
                  Jimbo

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dumbcluck View Post
                    I get what you're saying and I agree. I do have the v shape I box. I've been considering this potential problem and thought about drIlling and tapping the v channel to hold the bolts I'd just prefer to only do one set of holes though, limiting me to what fits. Should be fine. I'll figure something out.
                    Thanks again
                    If you must drill out new holes to line up with the Top angle irons I hope you can center the new holes inbetween the one you already have.

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    Here's hoping the "V" will go away and be forgotten.

I agree, mostly because of the lack of support on the front outer edges of the board. I like to have the supportive top frame out by the edges were the bags hit just underneath them, ....as well as the swivel issue.
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 07-04-2013, 04:03 AM.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      I agree, mostly because of the lack of support on the front outer edges of the board. I like to have the supportive top frame out by the edges were the bags hit just underneath them, ....as well as the swivel issue.
                      The iPhone has been updated since first released, maybe a new iBox is on the horizon. The material and workmanship is already first rate, they just need to make some tweaks to get the design to perfection. I hit on my iBox every day, am a fan !

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...