• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • podnah
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2010

Balazs Ibox platform

Just got my Ibox - looks great. I have a couple of questions in regards to the platform. Has anyone painted their MDF platform, and if so, how did you do it and how did it turn out? I'm thinking of sanding it a bit, and spray painting it black. Also, has anyone added extra platforms to make it thicker? I have a couple of 3/4" plywood rounds I could add to it, but didn't know if this would make it harder to adjust up and down, or if the unit would handle the extra weight. Any input appreciated.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by podnah View Post
    Just got my Ibox - looks great. I have a couple of questions in regards to the platform. Has anyone painted their MDF platform, and if so, how did you do it and how did it turn out? I'm thinking of sanding it a bit, and spray painting it black. Also, has anyone added extra platforms to make it thicker? I have a couple of 3/4" plywood rounds I could add to it, but didn't know if this would make it harder to adjust up and down, or if the unit would handle the extra weight. Any input appreciated.
    I think the the weight of the table rounds would not bother this platform a all.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I haven't done any of this so I can't say. But I can tell you that the platform itself will easily support a heavier drum. The i-box is really thick steel compared to most platforms. Some people on here (Chris M and a few others) have made completely custom drums that are significantly larger or thicker than the stock piece and never reported any problems.

Good luck and great choice of platform!

When you do get it sorted out, I'd love to see pictures!

Comment

• PIEFURZ
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

On spray painting you may want to consult with a pro in the painting department. I've seen plywood spray painted and it warped bad. If I recall correctly the Ibox platform is real wood, not press wood with vainer finish. Not sure what would happen to it but the plywood may have problems.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I've made several drums for the I-box, using different materials. I would recommend using the Balazs drum as a template to build a thicker drum, rather than modifying the Balazs. That way, if anything doesn't work out, you've still got your original drum as a backup. You will need to buy longer bolts to mount the drum to the steel platform, and longer screws to connect the swivel if you choose to anchor through the drum. You can get what you need at boltdepot.com. You will need four 3/8"x 3" socket head bolts for the drum, and four #10-32 x 3" screws with washers and locknuts for the swivel. I can give you the exact links to these parts if necessary, just let me know.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...