X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hannibal
    • Dec 2010

need some help on picking a free standing platform

I was asked by my neighbor to take my adjustable speed bag platform down as it annoys my his bed ridden mom who needs her sleep. I want to be respectful to him and his family since he is a nice guy. He has a free standing platform, and the rebounds are not as good but it works. It is not bad at all, but his is older. I was wondering since I have to make this terrible choice if their are any you would recommend that are affordable. My funds are low at the moment.
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

A sturdy freestanding speed bag platform is a hard find (especially at an affordable price). A friend of mine once brought a TKO brand one from someone on craigslist for $50. the platform was so wobbly it was pretty much unusable. he made a few modifications to it, now its actually pretty good.
    He replaced the drum with a thick 24inch table top from lowes. And put a couple 1/4inch thick strips of metal across the top of it.
    Last edited by juxt; 01-06-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• StevieMac
      • Oct 2010

I can’t help on selecting a freestanding platform but Alan has some recommendations for making them more stable on this page: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speed_bag_setups

I'd check craigslist if funds are low.

Comment

• Inkspill
        • Dec 2010

big 5 sports has some everlast combo speed bag/heavy bag free standers. I am using one that I just got for christmas. not sure how much this one cost, but the one in town has their's for $99

Comment

• jumpcannon
          Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Speedbaggin is not a crime! Lol.
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Hannibal
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
            Speedbaggin is not a crime! Lol.
            amen to that. I just got my 8x5 gyro from Title in the mail today. I had my neighbor over bagging with me this morning. Wish I lived back out in the country again. I will definitely check into the everlast or even think about the 24' inch tabletop with the metal strips. That is actually an awesome mod. You guys are awesome!! My Physical Therapist told me yesterday to keep bagging that it is having a great impact on my muscle redevelopment. Hopefully by this time next year I will be bagging better, and will have my tree stump neck back again. haha. Those who aren't bagging are so missing out.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Alas there are no affordable and stable free standing floor frames available that I know of. Every model I see would need some type of strap stabilization method to hold them down and that is a pain. If you can't put up a wall unit on the other side of the house, perhaps you can buffer the noise a bit for your neighbor. Your situation of it annoying your next door neighbor is not very specific. Is it just the rebound sound of the bag? Is it vibrating their wall or windows? Is there a time change for your hitting you can make?

For the rebounding sound, you could use a plastic ballhook swivel or a modified metal ball in a plastic housing (very quiet), and perhaps put some hard surface carpet on the bottom of your board. Yes, it will slow the bag down a bit put still allow you to punch close to full force and get an enjoyable workout with the reduced sound. You could also put some sound proofing material up on the walls facing her house or room. Carpet, heavy hanging drapes and ceiling tiles on the wall, along with egg crates, can reduce sound substantially. Perhaps your neighbor can help with the cost of some material. After all, you don't really "have" to do this, and it's a favor for them, so perhaps they can help broker the solution rather than press you to quit or purchase other equipment.

Good luck.

(* ps: I am hoping that one of the creative genius forum members, with a talent of design, fabrication and production, can create the ultimate free standing speed bag floor frame. It can't be that hard once you start the design with a two vertical pole requirement. Any takers? You know who you are )
              Last edited by Speedbag; 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hannibal
                • Dec 2010

Thanks for the encouragement!! Well our garages are very small and mine connects to the side of his house basically. The shaking of the garage annoys them as it is loud. With his mama home all day in front room while they are at work upsets her. My dad was a carpenter, so we have made many efforts to reduce noise. They also have a pool table in their garage and when they are out there I ruin their good time. They play so much though that even trying different times to bag doesn't work too well. A couple weeks ago unknown to me they were having a small childs birthday party, and I was bagging away for an hour off and on. I guess I ruined it for them with all the shaking. My garage is not made that well. I went to sports authority today and checked out two free standing platforms. I am kind of smitten with the title brand so I prefer theirs out of the catalog though. I will let you all know how I work this out. I think many people probably run into this problem, and I know you all are gentlemen as well. How I do miss living out in the country here.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                  Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

I ran across one on the web from Australia that may give you some ideas. I don't recall the price but shipping would probably kill ya. It has four legs and looks like a tall table. You might try building a frame like Tim had in NJ out side, last convention, a few pictures on the forum somewhere. Basically a box made out of 4x4 legs and 2x6s to tie them together. A carpenter could frame this up pretty solid. Sorry to hear it disturbs the neighbors, the only bad side effect of baggin. Maybe you could invite his mother over for some baggin then she might be okay with it. LOL She could be oldest (correction, most mature) lady bagger on record, Sorry Ms. D.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...