• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • righty
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2011

Intro and (of course) a Q: First Speedbag

Just wanted to chime in and say hello. Hitting a speedbag is something I've wanted to try for a long time so I figure I'll finally give it a shot! I have a place to mount the bag, and a platform. The only thing missing is, well, a speed bag.

I've read about sizes, shapes, etc but nothing definitive. I'm basically looking for a start. I noticed in the archives there are some good threads about sizes and so forth. To keep it simple, if you were buying your first bag and you were only going to buy one, which one would it be. If it's of consequence I have pretty big hands (though I gather bigger bags are better for beginners anyway)

I'm a noob, thanks for any help!
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

Welcome to the forum. Personally I started on a 7 x 10 bag and I now know that if I had started with anything smaller it would been a really frustrating experience.

I'm now using a 5 x 8 and I love it but I'm glad I started where I did.
    Last edited by StevieMac; 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• jumpcannon
      Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Dont give me too much heat for saying this...but the i think the idea of a large bag for beginners is not accurate. Only reason i am saying this is because i have had a few beginners hit my speedbags and everyone thinks the 6x4 everlast pro was easier to learn on than my everlast TE:L. So i think you can learn on anysize. If i was brand new and wanted a 1st bag i would go with a promex 9x6. Its not a superfast bag. But its great to hit and just the right size for beginning and advanced hitting. Other options may be the title 9x6. The only bag i say stay away from are the Everlast Ta bags. I think their grey with yellow stitching. Those bags are terds.
      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• righty
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2011

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! Super helpful!

Those sound like some good options! I don't know if I can ask, but where do you guys generally buy from? Local sporting goods shops? I can't seem to find much at the "big places"

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

titleboxing.com
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• righty
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2011

Thank you! Checking it out and thanks for your patience. I do appreciate it. Since I'm a noob, what else should I add to my shopping list.

Assuming I have the platform. I guess I need a bag, swivel?, and hand wrap of some kind? Just try and put together one order if possible!

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

The swivel you get from jumpcannon...

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Hand wraps are optional. As far as swivels thats a whole nother catagory. If you are gonna just do some basic front and rear punching then i would rocommend a U-bolt design. If your interested in side hitting, different elbow striking, etc. then a ballhook is the only way to go. Everlast makes a plastic ballhook that is pretty affordable. I personally make all metal ballhooks and will have them ready friday (powermill). If your interested in one send me a private message and i will give ya the details. Any other questions and the people on here will definatly help you out and send you the right direction! Welcome to the underground world of speedbaggin! Your soul will never be the same! LOL
                evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                  Hand wraps are optional. As far as swivels thats a whole nother catagory. If you are gonna just do some basic front and rear punching then i would recommend a U-bolt design. If your interested in side hitting, different elbow striking, etc. then a ballhook is the only way to go. Everlast makes a plastic ballhook that is pretty affordable. I personally make all metal ballhooks and will have them ready friday (powermill). If your interested in one send me a private message and i will give ya the details. Any other questions and the people on here will definatly help you out and send you the right direction! Welcome to the underground world of speedbaggin! Your soul will never be the same! LOL
                  Really? a U-Bolt Swivel for front and back. The inventor, producer of one the The single finest Ballhook swivels on the planet recommends a "U-BOLT"?

say it isn't so

Righty, there are basically three types of swivels, The Ballhook, The Chain Link, and the U-bolt (sometimes called the speed precision). Each type can come in various styles. Ballhooks can have various balls that vary by size, shape and material (go figure..), chainlinks can have big or small links and U-Bolts can have different size and shaped U connections. Each type has it owns nuances and various baggers on the forum have preference for one or the other for their own personal reasons. Each swivel style has it's own fan club, but a bagger with decent control can hit well on any of them, although we often blame the swivel when things don't go well. Mr. Jumpcannon has recently designed and produced on of the finest metal ballhook swivels most of us have ever seen or used, and for my money it is far superior to any other swivel currently available on the market today. Another member here,
                  spdy Tommy T, has also designed an incredible ballhook although I don't think it is in production yet.

But I also prefer the Ballhook design above all others, simply because there is no way the swivel design can interfer with the rebound. Both the U-bolt and Chainlink designs have the quirk of occassionally altering the angle of rebound. Some of us notice it a lot, and others not so much, but with any experience on each you will probably notice that the ballhook yields the most accurate rebound every punch. Some people say the ballhook is slower than the U-bolt design, some say the chain link is the fastest, and some people, like speedbagskunk, will melt any of them with little effect on skill or accuracy. But in the end, the actual swivel preference comes down to personal choice and experience on them all.

by the way, everything I wrote above about swivels also can be said about bags. The preference for brand, size, shape, beaded seams, flat seams, attachment loops and air pressure all comes down to personal choice and experience with the variations.

If you can afford the JC ballhook, (yes, quality comes at a price but it is simply the best available) than get it.

He may even trade you one for a nice truck - and probably let you keep the tire!.

Just kidding. The truck would be useless without the tires.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 01-05-2011, 10:51 PM.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I agree

Originally posted by StevieMac View Post
                    Welcome to the forum. Personally I started on a 7 x 10 bag and I now know that if I had started with anything smaller it would been a really frustrating experience.

I'm now using a 5 x 8 and I love it but I'm glad I started where I did.
                    Hey there, righty. Welcome to the forum (I'm a lefty myself... )

I have to concur with StevieMac on the larger bag size for beginners. At least from my own experience. I think if I had started out on a smaller bag I would have gotten frustrated early on and maybe given up. A bigger bag is a slower bag, and to me, it would seem to be a good way to learn the basic punches. Also, there's a lot more bag to punch, thus, building muscles as well as gaining stamina early on. Not to mention coordination. Just my opinion...
                    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• baggins
                      • Oct 2010

I am with the "not a big bag crowd" here. I started out as a noob on a Everlast Ta:M. Think it´s 11 or 10 * 7 or 8. It was way to big and slow for me. A month later I got two smaller bags 8*6 ish. That was when things started to move

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        Really? a U-Bolt Swivel for front and back. The inventor, producer of one the The single finest Ballhook swivels on the planet recommends a "U-BOLT"?

say it isn't so

Righty, there are basically three types of swivels, The Ballhook, The Chain Link, and the U-bolt (sometimes called the speed precision). Each type can come in various styles. Ballhooks can have various balls that vary by size, shape and material (go figure..), chainlinks can have big or small links and U-Bolts can have different size and shaped U connections. Each type has it owns nuances and various baggers on the forum have preference for one or the other for their own personal reasons. Each swivel style has it's own fan club, but a bagger with decent control can hit well on any of them, although we often blame the swivel when things don't go well. Mr. Jumpcannon has recently designed and produced on of the finest metal ballhook swivels most of us have ever seen or used, and for my money it is far superior to any other swivel currently available on the market today. Another member here,
                        spdy Tommy T, has also designed an incredible ballhook although I don't think it is in production yet.

But I also prefer the Ballhook design above all others, simply because there is no way the swivel design can interfer with the rebound. Both the U-bolt and Chainlink designs have the quirk of occassionally altering the angle of rebound. Some of us notice it a lot, and others not so much, but with any experience on each you will probably notice that the ballhook yields the most accurate rebound every punch. Some people say the ballhook is slower than the U-bolt design, some say the chain link is the fastest, and some people, like speedbagskunk, will melt any of them with little effect on skill or accuracy. But in the end, the actual swivel preference comes down to personal choice and experience on them all.

by the way, everything I wrote above about swivels also can be said about bags. The preference for brand, size, shape, beaded seams, flat seams, attachment loops and air pressure all comes down to personal choice and experience with the variations.

If you can afford the JC ballhook, (yes, quality comes at a price but it is simply the best available) than get it.

He may even trade you one for a nice truck - and probably let you keep the tire!.

Just kidding. The truck would be useless without the tires.
                        LOL....actually i got a nice truck...Just need some tires for it....wonder if he'll trade?
                        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• righty
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2011

Thanks again for all the help! I went ahead and placed an order (before coming back here to see that Jump makes them).

I ordered these two things (not from everlast but they have good pictures)

The bag I ordered is a Medium which is 9x6. We'll see what happens! Who knows, I may have made a mistake but live and learn

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Hello Righty and welcome to the forum! It looks like you're off and running. Once you get your bag and swivel, let us know how it's going.
                            Last edited by metaldad; 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• righty
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jan 2011

Thanks Metaldad! I'll report back

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...