X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hannibal
    • Dec 2010

Title Gryo vs. 8x5 title

Hi all, new to the forums here, and in need of some advice. I recently had some surgeries, and have been using the heavy and speed bag to build my shoulder muscles back up. I have always been an avid weight lifter/boxer, but now I can't lift heavy things. Therefore, I worked my way up from a large everlast bag down to the title 9x6 bag which I love. I have switched around from the s hooks, to chain link, and now to the U bolt. Love the U bolt by the way. Anyways, I want to step my speed and power up to the next level. I am curious as to which bag is faster. The new gyro by title or the basic 8x5 yellow bag. Also curious if you all would recommend me using these smaller bags, or sticking with something a bit heavier if you were trying to increase your shoulder strength again. Thanks all. Happy New Years!! Time to go bag for a bit.
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

I have never hit on a title or gyro. People on here will definately know and help you with that. As far as shoulder rehab....just hit and hit and hit!
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      Hi all, new to the forums here, and in need of some advice. I recently had some surgeries, and have been using the heavy and speed bag to build my shoulder muscles back up. I have always been an avid weight lifter/boxer, but now I can't lift heavy things. Therefore, I worked my way up from a large everlast bag down to the title 9x6 bag which I love. I have switched around from the s hooks, to chain link, and now to the U bolt. Love the U bolt by the way. Anyways, I want to step my speed and power up to the next level. I am curious as to which bag is faster. The new gyro by title or the basic 8x5 yellow bag. Also curious if you all would recommend me using these smaller bags, or sticking with something a bit heavier if you were trying to increase your shoulder strength again. Thanks all. Happy New Years!! Time to go bag for a bit.
      Hi Hannibal and Welcome to the Forum. Several of us have many different bag sizes and shapes, as well as "old shoulders" that have seen a few surgeries and rehab. I've had 5 shoulder operations over both shoulders and got back to baggin' after each one (OK, sometimes after a month or so) and I can't say that the bag size used made any real difference or effect on recovery. I normally use an 8x5 or 9x6, but have several sizes larger and smaller. I would normally hit a size the "felt comfortable", and if it didn't feel right (form, function or shoulder pain when hitting) I might change to a larger or smaller bag. I'd normally stick with an 8x5 or 9x6 and hit lightly the first month or so - forget about "speed" too soon after surgery, for faster fist movements put more jerking and sheer in the shoulder joint (if you hold your elbows up). Slower, larger motions usually did better as a rehab workout.

But back to the original thought, I don't really think the BAG SIZE made any difference. You can hit a small fast bag slowly if needed.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hannibal
        • Dec 2010

Thank you for the input Alan. My main problem has been a lack of guidance on the speed bag in terms of size. My father bought me the speed bag bible about a year ago, and I have progressed since. My physical therapist promoted the use of the speed bag in my rehab as well. It has had the best impact. Now though at the pivotal point in my journey back to health I wasn't just sure at which way to go. I am going to go with the gyro then. Loved the 9x6 pro title very much. Much more so since I got rid of the chain swivel as well. I call that thing "squeeky." The smaller bag and your input on the reduced use of power to push the bag makes all the sense in the world. Might even set myself up now with a 10x7 to hang up and look at. Make it a goal for the end of my next three months. By the way love this website!! I haven't joined the forums till now, but I have been a fan of the website and all your guys videos for a while. Silently you all helped me more than any physician has. Speed bagging is good medicine.

Comment

• jumpcannon
          Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

What took you so long to join? LOL
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...