• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jinjo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2010

Help for a new bagger?

Hey guys you got another new speedbagger on the forum and i just got a few questions before buying the things i need. My friend just got me into bagging and he has an ibox. Ive read many of the posts and see that the general consensus is that they are a great platform to have. I was looking at this because it is slightly cheaper and i know everlast is obviously a good brand as well.

Build your stamina and speed with speed bags, platforms, and bag stands from Ringside! Everything you need to hang a speed bag at home or in the gym.

I also know that there is the cheaper adjustable model that is popular around here, but with the extra money i got from the holidays i would rather buy a better quality product. So all in all i guess my question is, is the platform that i provided the link to a good investment. I noticed its a 30in instead of the normal 24, is that a big deal? And i also have to mount it into a concrete wall but im assuming thats not a problem, right? sorry for the newbish questions. Happy holidays everyone!
  • Avadia
    • Nov 2010

I actually have one of those platforms on order, but Ringside was out of them, so I am told it will be arriving in a few weeks. If you haven't already gotten one, I will let you know how it is once I get mine. But I think it will be a very stable and good platform. I just got a Balazs non-adjustable set up and it is an incredible platform. But I think the Everlast will make a nice backup platform with much of the quality of the Balazs at a more reasonable price point.

The 30" size is good for the larger bags, and also just for having more mass (weight) in the board, which reduces vibration. For the difference in cost, I expect this platform is a huge step up from the Everlast adjustable, which I currently own and will be retiring once I get this one set up. I also think you will be even better off mounting it to a concrete wall. Again, that will give you much less vibration than wood studs. And vibration is the enemy of the speedbag. It saps the power from your rebounds. In short, I think you will have an awesome setup with that Everlast non-adjustable platform mounted into a concrete wall. Now don't skimp on getting yourself a good bag.
    Last edited by Avadia; 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• StevieMac
      • Oct 2010

Welcome to the forum jinjo. That looks like a very solid platform but it doesn’t let you adjust the height which means it won’t be at the correct height for different sized bags and you end up having to stand on something when you use a small bag if you had the height set properly for a larger bag. . Having the ability to easily adjust the height of the platform is worth the extra money IMO.

Comment

• Bruce
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by StevieMac View Post
        Welcome to the forum jinjo. That looks like a very solid platform but it doesn’t let you adjust the height which means it won’t be at the correct height for different sized bags and you end up having to stand on something when you use a small bag if you had the height set properly for a larger bag. . Having the ability to easily adjust the height of the platform is worth the extra money IMO.

Couldn't agree more... an adjustable platform is definitely worth the additional cash.

Comment

• Avadia
          • Nov 2010

I'm just the opposite. I have been using the everlast adjustable platform for the past three months and never bother to change the height of the platform when I change bags. I have it set in about the middle of my range of bags, so it is only an inch or two difference up or down, which doesn't bother me at all. My problem with the adjustable is that it just isn't stable enough. Now that I have the Balasz nonadjustable, I am in heaven. It is way more stable and brings a whole new level of performance. Makes the adjustable seem rickety by comparison. That's why I am getting an Everlast nonadjustable as a second platform to replace the adjustable.

Comment

• Inkspill
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
            I'm just the opposite. I have been using the everlast adjustable platform for the past three months and never bother to change the height of the platform when I change bags. I have it set in about the middle of my range of bags, so it is only an inch or two difference up or down, which doesn't bother me at all. My problem with the adjustable is that it just isn't stable enough. Now that I have the Balasz nonadjustable, I am in heaven. It is way more stable and brings a whole new level of performance. Makes the adjustable seem rickety by comparison. That's why I am getting an Everlast nonadjustable as a second platform to replace the adjustable.

yeah my adjustable everlast dual speed bag/heavy bag is a little annoying without having a heavy bag connected. had my friend hang off the heavy bag bar and I noticed how much of a difference it made to have him stabilizing. I miss my dad's mounted platform, but this is a great set up being in an apartment and I'll take whatever I can get.

Comment

• StevieMac
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
              yeah my adjustable everlast dual speed bag/heavy bag is a little annoying without having a heavy bag connected. had my friend hang off the heavy bag bar and I noticed how much of a difference it made to have him stabilizing. I miss my dad's mounted platform, but this is a great set up being in an apartment and I'll take whatever I can get.
              Try putting a 50lb sandbag on top of the platform. A lot of folks here do that.

Comment

• Inkspill
                • Dec 2010

thanks for the tip StevieMac. I think that will work awesome. I'll get some sand for the legs too.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by StevieMac View Post
                  Try putting a 50lb sandbag on top of the platform. A lot of folks here do that.
                  Yes, but be sure the wall connections to wooden studs will allow that much weight to be put on it. I hesitate to leave that much weight continuously setting on top of the board, for that is a lot of extra stress on the wall connections. I used to wrap a 35 pound dumbbell in a blanket and put it on top of the board while I was using it, then take it down when I was done.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...