X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avadia
    • Nov 2010

New Member Introduction

Hi everyone. I have been lurking for about a month now and finally decided to join. Great forum you have here. I live in Huntsville, Alabama, and have been hitting the speedbag now for about two months. I started as part of a fitness regimen, using the speedbag and heavy bag training as a warm up to my weightlifting routine. Of course, once I got into it, got a copy of Alan's book and found this site, I began to fall in love with the art of baggin'. I am just learning some basic moves and starting to put together some combinations. I have to say I really appreciate the fantastic resource you have built here, especially all the videos. It is both inspiring and a great learning tool.

As for equipment, I am using the Everlast adjustable platform, which I got on sale for $99. Seems to be a quality board, especially for the price (one of the few things I have bought from Everlast recently that I can say that about). It has a u-bolt swivel on it, which works good for my beginner hands, although I hope to try a ball and hook swivel at some point. I started with a couple of the Everlast Elite bags (med and large), one of which is decent but already cracking horribly, the other of which is deformed in shape and virtually unusable. So I upgraded recently to some Title bags. I got the 8x11, 7x10, and 5x8. They are all top quality bags, but the little one is just too fast for me right now. I love the other two, though.

I also went out on a limb the other day and ordered the Lonsdale Authentic Speedball and Authentic Peanut from SugarRay's in the UK. (Yes, they will ship internationally, though it isn't cheap.) I just think these are beautiful bags and can't wait to try them out. I'll let you know what I think once they arrive. I have also already asked the wife for a Balazs platform for Christmas, so I will update you on that later as well. I guess that's enough of a long-winded first post. Thanks again for all the resources and inspiration.

Richard
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

Hi Richard,

I’m a noobie myself but welcome to the forum. I have switched to Title bags as well and really like them. Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup.

I’m picking up my Balazs I-Box today! Good luck with your Christmas wish list.

Post up a video when you get a chance.

Cheers,
    Steve

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
      Hi everyone. I have been lurking for about a month now and finally decided to join. Great forum you have here. I live in Huntsville, Alabama, and have been hitting the speedbag now for about two months.
      Welcome!

As for equipment, I am using the Everlast adjustable platform, which I got on sale for $99. Seems to be a quality board, especially for the price (one of the few things I have bought from Everlast recently that I can say that about). It has a u-bolt swivel on it, which works good for my beginner hands, although I hope to try a ball and hook swivel at some point. I started with a couple of the Everlast Elite bags (med and large), one of which is decent but already cracking horribly, the other of which is deformed in shape and virtually unusable. So I upgraded recently to some Title bags. I got the 8x11, 7x10, and 5x8. They are all top quality bags, but the little one is just too fast for me right now. I love the other two, though.[/quote]

All good choices!

I also went out on a limb the other day and ordered the Lonsdale Authentic Speedball and Authentic Peanut from SugarRay's in the UK. (Yes, they will ship internationally, though it isn't cheap.) I just think these are beautiful bags and can't wait to try them out. I'll let you know what I think once they arrive. I have also already asked the wife for a Balazs platform for Christmas, so I will update you on that later as well. I guess that's enough of a long-winded first post. Thanks again for all the resources and inspiration.
      Post a vid with your new gear (or before). We'll help you master the bag !!!!

Comment

• Avadia
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the welcome, Tim and Steviemac. I'll definitely post some vids, but probably not for a few weeks. Things are a little hectic right now.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Feb 2010

Welcome to the forum, Avadia!

Sounds like you've already got a taste of speedbag addiction! I joined earlier this year and have to say, this is a great forum to be part of. Like Tim said, you've got some great equipment already and I'm sure you''ll get on well with the Lonsdale bags. Right now, they are my favourites.

Look forward to an update sometime!

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome to the best bagging forum in cyberspace, Richard. Seems like you've been bitten by the bag bug! Once you get your all your equipment and have some time under the board, post up some video. Good luck on your baggin' journey.

Comment

• jumpcannon
              Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Welcome to the forums! Why did you lurk so long? LOL. You should of joined earlier!!!!!
              evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Avadia
                • Nov 2010

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'll definitely post an update once I get those Lonsdale bags, Ms. Mitts. And also some vids at some point. Definitely been bitten by the baggin' bug. Why did I lurk so long? Ha. Good question, JC. Such a great community you all have here.

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

Welcome Avadia!! you will love the Lonsdale authentic bags great quality very retro enjoy your baggin journey!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome Aboard!

Welcome Avadia. (Nice User name, by the way). It's always nice to have new members here on the (world's best message) board. And there have been several newbies these past few months.

I'm already envious of your speed bag collection... sounds like you're quickly accruing top-notch bags/equipment for your new addiction. The Lonsdale bag that Mrs. Mitts uses is simply gorgeous. I'm saving up my pennies for one of those. And also for a Bradley…and an Amber Invincible… and…

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a Fighting Sports (white) bag. Should be here any day now...
                    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Avadia
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                      Welcome Avadia!! you will love the Lonsdale authentic bags great quality very retro enjoy your baggin journey!!
                      Thanks, Fingers. Definitely like the retro look of those bags. Can't wait to get my paws on them.

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                      Welcome Avadia. (Nice User name, by the way).
                      Thanks, MsD. It just came to me one day when I was trying to come up with a cool-sounding user name.

I'm already envious of your speed bag collection... sounds like you're quickly accruing top-notch bags/equipment for your new addiction. The Lonsdale bag that Mrs. Mitts uses is simply gorgeous. I'm saving up my pennies for one of those. And also for a Bradley…and an Amber Invincible… and…
                      Yeah, I am bad about collecting nice gear when I get into a hobby. At least this one is relatively inexpensive compared to some of my other hobbies (like photography and high fi audio). But when you enjoy doing something, it is so much more enjoyable when you can do it with quality equipment.

And I know what you mean about the Bradley bags. I have my eye on a couple of those, but the cost from down under is pretty steep. I would also love to get a Cleto Reyes at some point. I'll have to pace myself.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a Fighting Sports (white) bag. Should be here any day now...
                      Those are pretty sweet-looking bags too. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Welcome Avadia,

Welcome to the forum and hoping you be mastering the speed bag in no time!
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Avadia
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks, Alan. Credit to you that I am doing as well as I am. Your book definitely opened my eyes to the possibilities.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Welcome to the wonderful world of bagging!

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2010

Welcome aboard!

Sorry it took so long for me to extend my welcome to you. Haven't been as active since school started.....I am a teacher. But bagging is so additive that I haven't stopped that! Looking forward to your post and videos!

Keep on Baggin!

Novaspeedbagger

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...