Future of the Everlast adjustable platform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Future of the Everlast adjustable platform?

So does anybody know if the Hydro Strike is going to replace the adjustable Everlast platform we all know and love? I noticed my local sports authority has plenty of the bottom of the barrel model:

3 of the adjustable wood (priced nice at $99.99)

and 3 of the new hydro strike

If I had $300 to spare I'd grab those adjustables but I have quite a few more pressing expenses coming up... I'm thinking the hydro strike will just be a supplement to the product line.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Looking at what the asking price of the low end platform is, and that of the Hydro Strike, I'd say that the target isn't the $100 adjustable, it's the low end one. It was the one that used to be in the striking bag platform sets that sporting goods stores sold, but I don't see it listed on their website. Perhaps it's sold only to retailers and not directly to the public.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Looking at what the asking price of the low end platform is, and that of the Hydro Strike, I'd say that the target isn't the $100 adjustable, it's the low end one. It was the one that used to be in the striking bag platform sets that sporting goods stores sold, but I don't see it listed on their website. Perhaps it's sold only to retailers and not directly to the public.
      That's a good point. They had the hydro strike for $70

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

IMO Looks like the mantra is: Cheaper, Cheaper, Cheaper. I seriously doub there is any increase in quality here.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Models put the wood board on promotional sale for a little over $60. I think the price at Sports Athority here is still around $100. I believe Models said they will only get the plastic one from now on.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
            Models put the wood board on promotional sale for a little over $60. I think the price at Sports Athority here is still around $100. I believe Models said they will only get the plastic one from now on.
            That's what I was afraid of... I'm hoping sports authority doesn't go the same way.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              So does anybody know if the Hydro Strike is going to replace the adjustable Everlast platform we all know and love? I noticed my local sports authority has plenty of the bottom of the barrel model:

3 of the adjustable wood (priced nice at $99.99)

and 3 of the new hydro strike

If I had $300 to spare I'd grab those adjustables but I have quite a few more pressing expenses coming up... I'm thinking the hydro strike will just be a supplement to the product line.
              I still see all three of these on the Everlast site so maybe they are continuing the Elite. I may pick up the last one at Models for about $60.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                I still see all three of these on the Everlast site so maybe they are continuing the Elite. I may pick up the last one at Models for about $60.
                Well if it helps you with your decision, we're definitely gonna need some platforms for SPEED B.A.G. II this year ... and $60 is as cheap as they get (great price!). I would stockpile some now, but the timing isn't right $$$$ wise.

Comment

• jumpcannon
                  Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Dont be in too much fear my brothers and sisters of the bag. I am considering making platforms with solid hickory as the drum. very comparible to the heavy duty everlast ones that sell for $1000. But at a much more affordable price. Powdercoated finish, nice solid drum. really design them for the least amount of vibration possible. That is the project i will be working after i got a decent stock of swivels for the peoples needs. I will keep you all posted in the future about this. BAG ON!
                  evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                    ...I am considering making platforms with solid hickory as the drum....
                    I think hickory is a great wood for a drum. I plan to make a drum from 38" long scrap hickory boards obtained from a local woodworking shop. What diameter you shooting for?

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                      I think hickory is a great wood for a drum. I plan to make a drum from 38" long scrap hickory boards obtained from a local woodworking shop. What diameter you shooting for?
                      well they would have to be a universal diameter since not everyone would be slapping on a 6x4 bag. I would probably consider a 26" board and see if thats sufficient.
                      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Dont be in too much fear my brothers and sisters of the bag. I am considering making platforms with solid hickory as the drum. very comparible to the heavy duty everlast ones that sell for $1000. But at a much more affordable price. Powdercoated finish, nice solid drum. really design them for the least amount of vibration possible. That is the project i will be working after i got a decent stock of swivels for the peoples needs. I will keep you all posted in the future about this. BAG ON!
                        Make sure you design it such that the swivel can be BOLTED on rather than screws. Some of us change swivels more frequently than we change socks

Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

i never thought of that.
                          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

i never thought of that.
                            I can make a list of "Dream platform" requirements... It pretty much would be the Balazs i-Box with the ability to bolt swivels on and a 28" drum, with the center a few inches further out from the wall (I've punched the wall twice now with my i-Box).

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

Maybe extending the steel supports that the drum is bolted to towards the front of the wooden drum as much as seems practical will allow bolting on an oversize drum that retains good stability. The oversize drum won't be as centered, front to back, but this mod has been done before, might as well not design this ability out of an ideal platform. Not sure how popular oversize drums will ever be.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...