X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baggins
    • Oct 2010

Another DIY swiv

Here you see the two parts, before assembly. It consists of a brass platform unit with an exact fit to the ballpart, which has a drilled hole to fit the futher extention to the speedbag :

Here the swivel is inserted into the platform. As you can see, there was a need to make a small hole in the (homemade) platform, because the ball fitted into the brass platform sticks out :

And the final setup with two carabine hooks :

After some oil, and some breaking in, it is actually not a bad swivel. Compared to my U-bolt (which I hate) it´s fast as hell. Compared to my other Everlast chainlink, I can´t really feel a difference. Maybe it is a bit faster. But again I´m not sure, as I have only been baggin´for some 6 or 7 weeks. A few weeks ago I changed my Everlast 10x7 speedball out for the Lonsdale Authentic Peanut. I think it´s somewhere around 8x5, correct me if I´m wrong. And there is no way in hell the Everlast is going back my 3 y.o son has asked if he can get it up in his room. I said no problem
    I also has a Cletus Reyes, small, 9x6 coming up anyday from UK now. Can´t wait to punch that, after reading about here (thanx Fingers).

Anyways, I´ve shot a lousy vid, where I demonstrate the new setup. When I get better at it, I promise I will post a better (lit) vid
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hey - that's nice. Looks very minimalist. I can tell by the sound of the video that it works, you're bagging at a decent clip. I don't hear much of any swivel noise either, sounds like mostly the bag rebounding (as compared to the Everlast metal swivels where the clank of the swivel can be overpowering).

Very nice.

Can you shorten the action by using a single carabiner? Or does that not allow the bag proper motion? I'm always on the hunt for the ultimate swivel, ie. the swivel with the least amount of extra added length. Having your counter-sunk in the platform is a nice idea towards that end.

Comment

• baggins
      • Oct 2010

Hi Tim.
      Thanks for your interest.
      Yes, it is possible to hit only with one carabiner. Not sure if it was for the better. I have tried several combinations. Got some good results with a string of tough leather attached to one carabiner. I think the vid is where I used the leather strap + carabiner. It is actually somewhat quiet. I´ll be happy to shoot some better vids with some of the different swiv/bag attacment combos

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Hey - that's nice. Looks very minimalist. I can tell by the sound of the video that it works, you're bagging at a decent clip. I don't hear much of any swivel noise either, sounds like mostly the bag rebounding (as compared to the Everlast metal swivels where the clank of the swivel can be overpowering).

Very nice.

Can you shorten the action by using a single carabiner? Or does that not allow the bag proper motion? I'm always on the hunt for the ultimate swivel, ie. the swivel with the least amount of extra added length. Having your counter-sunk in the platform is a nice idea towards that end.
        My thoughts exactly. Is the second carabiner really necessary?
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by baggins View Post
          . I´ll be happy to shoot some better vids with some of the different swiv/bag attacment combos
          I'd love to see one carabiner... thanks!!!

How did you have this made? is it all custom machine shop work, or did you re-use parts from something else?

Comment

• baggins
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            How did you have this made? is it all custom machine shop work, or did you re-use parts from something else?
            It is all custom made. The ball is difficult to make on an old school lathe, so we had to use a computer controlled ditto.

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

Here you see the two parts, before assembly. It consists of a brass platform unit with an exact fit to the ballpart, which has a drilled hole to fit the futher extention to the speedbag :

Here the swivel is inserted into the platform. As you can see, there was a need to make a small hole in the (homemade) platform, because the ball fitted into the brass platform sticks out :

And the final setup with two carabine hooks :

After some oil, and some breaking in, it is actually not a bad swivel. Compared to my U-bolt (which I hate) it´s fast as hell. Compared to my other Everlast chainlink, I can´t really feel a difference. Maybe it is a bit faster. But again I´m not sure, as I have only been baggin´for some 6 or 7 weeks. A few weeks ago I changed my Everlast 10x7 speedball out for the Lonsdale Authentic Peanut. I think it´s somewhere around 8x5, correct me if I´m wrong. And there is no way in hell the Everlast is going back my 3 y.o son has asked if he can get it up in his room. I said no problem
              I also has a Cletus Reyes, small, 9x6 coming up anyday from UK now. Can´t wait to punch that, after reading about here (thanx Fingers).

Anyways, I´ve shot a lousy vid, where I demonstrate the new setup. When I get better at it, I promise I will post a better (lit) vid
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-acTc_zapOo
              Bagins i really like the look of your swivel and you are bagin at a nice pace too!! i think you will like the Cleto its a quality bag! funny thing i also own a lonsdale authentic peanut and it is a great bag been on my drum for months now.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

I've been thinking about a ball and socket joint with a grease fitting. Take two short metal cylinders and cup them out with a round bit or lathe to form a socket with a hole in one for a shank to come thru for the bag attachment. Sink the thing flush into the board to keep the link short. The grease fitting may have to be accessible from the top of the board. I don't know if grease comes in different weights, would want something light. A complete socket would keep the ball from racking or jumping.

Comment

• baggins
                  • Oct 2010

@Fingers. Thanks man! I´m curious about the size of the Cletus small, compared to the Lonsdale peanut. Same or a bit larger? I´m also curious about the xs Cletus. A lot of guys here seem to like it. I´m afraid it´s a tad too small for me

@Piefurz. I think I get what you mean. It could be done

Comment

• fingers
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • May 2008

@Fingers. Thanks man! I´m curious about the size of the Cletus small, compared to the Lonsdale peanut. Same or a bit larger? I´m also curious about the xs Cletus. A lot of guys here seem to like it. I´m afraid it´s a tad too small for me

@Piefurz. I think I get what you mean. It could be done
                    Baggins!! both bags are about the same size! the cleto is slightly heavier and has a stiff loop but this is not a problem especially on a ball-hook it oozes quality, the x small is really fast check out some of Speedbagsisorhands vids he really makes it fly!!

Comment

• baggins
                      • Oct 2010

Thanks Fingers. Can't wait till it arrives. Sugar Rays says that the waiting, due to new delivery, is soon over yeah I've seen scissorhand. It is fast! In a couple of years I'll order the xs lol.

Comment

• fingers
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • May 2008

Thanks Fingers. Can't wait till it arrives. Sugar Rays says that the waiting, due to new delivery, is soon over yeah I've seen scissorhand. It is fast! In a couple of years I'll order the xs lol.
                        I got my Cleto from Sugarrays!! i ordered the black but they sent one in Mexican colours .....not complaining though! LOL, there is a picture in my album on my home page!!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                          I got my Cleto from Sugarrays!! i ordered the black but they sent one in Mexican colours .....not complaining though! LOL, there is a picture in my album on my home page!!
                          Yeah yeah fingers! We're all jealous of your ultra cool Mexican cleto.
                          It's very nice.

Hi Baggins!

Nice to see someone else using the Lonsdale authentic peanut. I'm a big fan of it, I have a few bags and it's the one that that still stands out as my favourite.

I also got the Cleto Reyes XS which I use from time to time. The much smaller size is a good challenge and as fingers said it's nicely made. Still, you won't go wrong with the Lonsdale though, it's also a well made responsive bag.

Look forward to seeing your next vid!

Comment

• fingers
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
                            Yeah yeah fingers! We're all jealous of your ultra cool Mexican cleto.
                            It's very nice.

!
                            Ha Ha a bit like me eh!!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Feb 2010

Just like you.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...