• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Slip ball

Saw this slip ball in the latest print catalog from Everlast. In the image below it's on a speed bag platform. Anyone have any experience with a slip ball?

Discover top-quality apparel, footwear, and equipment for online fitness enthusiasts at Everlast. Elevate your workouts with our premium selection today!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by paranday; 11-05-2010, 11:08 PM.
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

i never seen one hooked up to a speed bag platform before. they arent made for punching, just slipping and dodging. Its basically a bag filled with sand, it has no bounce.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Feb 2010

I've got a few 'maize/slip bag' youtube videos saved in my favourites. From what I picked up, juxt is right - it's a tool for slipping and dodging punches, and when you're throwing punches yourself it's not at the bag! It should hang from a chain or rope (usually from the ceiling) so there is a good even swing on it. Check out this video:
      Basics to using the Maize or Slip Bag for Boxing or MMA

It's actually hard to see what the guy in the brochure is going to do with a slip ball on a speedball platform.
      Last edited by Mrs Mitts; 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
        ...It's actually hard to see what the guy in the brochure is going to do with a slip ball on a speedball platform.
        That guy is Jermain Taylor, and I'd like to know the same thing.

Comment

• tryme
          • Mar 2010

you fill it with sand or "maize" traditionally and then slip it i.e swing it and act like its punches being throw at you. you hang it from the ceiling with a chain or rope but its better if its heavy so the bag keeps swinging to light and its also to slow. its also good if you have a friend to swing it at you so you have trouble with the timming and also they will help to keep it in a straight line for you.

Comment

• crapshoot
            • Apr 2010

I would bet dollars to donuts that someone completely unfamiliar with equipment put that caption in. A slip ball is a lot longer and isn't struck. I can't believe that no one at the company caught it.

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Everlast doesn't even sell any bags that color, wonder if this mystery bag was Photoshopped in? Along with Jermain. In India, maybe.

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                • Dec 2009

I guarantee that's a miss-marked photo of Jermain Taylor. No doubt he's hitting a speed bag. Slip balls have a chain attached - looks like that is a swivel. That bag does look familiar but can't remember which one it is. It could be one of their pro models from a while back if I remember correctly. Tyson made that slip ball famous. There are a few youtube clips with him and Cus D'Amato training with one.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...