X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedKilz
    • Dec 2009

Ball hook opinions

I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse but I finally snagged an Everlast ball-hook swivel off ebay.

I was curious what the overall consensus was on using an all metal set up or the metal housing with the plastic ball. What would offer the best sound, speed, reliability and overall enjoyment. How many of you have been tagged by metal shavings in the eye?
  • TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

The All metal setup is probably the fastest and has the best sound (if that's what you like, rhythmically sounds great and best for punch drumming). The downside is the metal shavings in the eye. I've gotten shavings in my eyes twice. Some of the other members have had the same experience. You can always wear a pair of shades or safety glasses and bag away. I use a plastic housing with a metal ball, it's smooth, fast and seems to work fine. It is quieter, but works for me.
    Skunk has a couple swivs he's devised with metal housings and a plastic ball in them.
    For me the ball/hook swivs are the way to go. There are some subtle differnences with the metal/plastic combos, then it becomes a matter splitting hairs and personal preference.
    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• RenoRattler
      • Sep 2009

Ive gotten metal shavings in my eyes twice.....both times with plastic housings and plastic balls. Came from the hook/eyehook.

Comment

• jimcaher
        • Feb 2010

My favorite is: Everlast plastic base, Watkins ball, hook from the plastic ball JB Welded into the ball with the hook pushed in as far as possble. Unfortunately, the Watkins ball is not currently available and has supposedly been on back order for 8 months and counting. The Watkins ball works more smoothly than the old Everlast balls, which are flat on the bottom and slightly larger than the Watkins. The only flaw in my setup is that when the time comes to seperate the hook from the ball, I'll probably need a small torch to break the JB loose.

Never had any shavings come off.

Jim

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post
          I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse but I finally snagged an Everlast ball-hook swivel off ebay.

I was curious what the overall consensus was on using an all metal set up or the metal housing with the plastic ball. What would offer the best sound, speed, reliability and overall enjoyment. How many of you have been tagged by metal shavings in the eye?
          Hey SpeedKilz, did you buy this item mainly for the ball/hook swivel? I'd be interested in the bag, if you have no use for it... feel free to PM me if interested in selling it.

As for my opinion of the metal ball vs. plastic... When I went from the U-bolt to the ball hook, I first tried the plastic ball/plastic housing. Didn't care for it. Trainer Raul found his old metal ball hook and put it in the plastic housing. That's all I've used since. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

As for Reno getting shavings from the hook/eye hook part, they must be made from a composite, or lower-quality metal, it would seem. I have had no issues with metal shavings – so far. But then, I don't suppose I'm striking the bag with the velocity of a man, if that makes any difference.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• PIEFURZ
            Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

The source of debris from swivels may be chrome or nickel plating from the metal of the plastic ball type. It may help to buff off the plating with a steel buffer wheel or steal wool. With metal ball swivels it may help to clean and lube them now and then. The black gunk that builds up is from shavings and lube if used. WD40 should make a good cleaner, just wipe off the excess when done. I thinking that gun cleaning supplies may work well on swivels if anyone is into guns and can try it. Unless you're bagging so fast and hard that you create sparks. Hot.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
              Ive gotten metal shavings in my eyes twice.....both times with plastic housings and plastic balls. Came from the hook/eyehook.
              The metal shavings, in my case, were imbedded into my eyeball and had to be physically removed by an MD. I think if you keep an all metal setup lubricated and occasionally wiped off, you'll minimize the shavings. Otherwise, the specs (shades etc.) would be a good idea.
              T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

A stainless steel eye bolt will set you back about $4.00. Should last several lifetimes. Or more. Wonder why swivel makers have such a tough time finding better materials.

`
                Last edited by paranday; 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Alan's link to his review of a metal ball-hook swivel

I'm in the market for a ball hook swivel, due to the fact that Trainer Raul took the metal ball hook off of my metal platform and put it on the new concrete platform he just made.

So I was reading on the forum last week and came across this thread from a couple years ago. Alan was asked to give a review of the metal ball hook swivel that is available from this website: www.fitness-equipment.com

Here's the link showing the ball hook swivel:

He gave it a good review. Hopefully, his opinion still stands, because I'm thinking of ordering one. I hope they have one in stock...

Here's Alan's review video (which is a link from within the fitness-equipment.com site):

It took several minutes for it to load, but I have a slow internet connection. It's a good review, and Alan does some nice punch-drumming to give it the "acid test."

I hope I'm not repeating stuff that you (seasoned) members already know, but, I figured I'd share this among us newbies...(can't wait to be elevated to Guru! ...or, whatever title Tim deems appropriate. )
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MsDeville; 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM. Reason: clarification
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                    The metal shavings, in my case, were imbedded into my eyeball and had to be physically removed by an MD. I think if you keep an all metal setup lubricated and occasionally wiped off, you'll minimize the shavings. Otherwise, the specs (shades etc.) would be a good idea.
                    Me too. But only needed a doc to take out one. The other dislodged on it's own shortly after. I think it comes off the eyeshank attachments. metal or plastic housing doesn't seem to matter.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                      http://www.fitness-equipment.com/aca...ystems_30.html

He gave it a good review. Hopefully, his opinion still stands, because I'm thinking of ordering one. I hope they have one in stock...

Here's Alan's review video (which is a link from within the fitness-equipment.com site):

It took several minutes for it to load, but I have a slow internet connection. It's a good review, and Alan does some nice punch-drumming to give it the "acid test."

I hope I'm not repeating stuff that you (seasoned) members already know, but, I figured I'd share this among us newbies...(can't wait to be elevated to Guru! ...or, whatever title Tim deems appropriate. )

Yes I did give it a good review, but that is before it went vapor. My rating now would be totally different because of all the baggers who have been screwed over by ordering a product that clearing isn't available. I can't recommend a product, or a company, in good faith that has such poor customer service. Sorry it turned out that way, but I've seen way too many posts on this forum and others, about their non-stop excuses for non existent products. If you can get one on ebay, go for it.

...and that picture does NOT look like the swivel I got from them (actually I got two and several spare balls), but that metal shank comes out of a tapered end of the ball, not a flat end, as shown in this picture. Funny I just noticed that, but I haven't seen any watkin swivel with a flat ball end facing down and a shank coming out. The tapered end protrudes out the end of the housing and the one shown in this pic would not.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RenoRattler
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        Me too. But only needed a doc to take out one. The other dislodged on it's own shortly after. I think it comes off the eyeshank attachments. metal or plastic housing doesn't seem to matter.
                        Me three. I hate that little buzzing drill thing they use. And the ice pick thingy isn't pleasant either. Both times.

Yeah, it was definitely the plating on the attachments that I got.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Dang!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Yes I did give it a good review, but that is before it went vapor. My rating now would be totally different because of all the baggers who have been screwed over by ordering a product that clearing isn't available. I can't recommend a product, or a company, in good faith that has such poor customer service. Sorry it turned out that way, but I've seen way too many posts on this forum and others, about their non-stop excuses for non existent products. If you can get one on ebay, go for it.

...and that picture does NOT look like the swivel I got from them (actually I got two and several spare balls), but that metal shank comes out of a tapered end of the ball, not a flat end, as shown in this picture. Funny I just noticed that, but I haven't seen any watkin swivel with a flat ball end facing down and a shank coming out. The tapered end protrudes out the end of the housing and the one shown in this pic would not.

Well, this is disappointing. I guess I'll keep looking... Hello eBay/Craigslist...

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                            • Dec 2009

Thanks for all the input! I will be sure to hit the hardware store for a stainless eye hook to help avoid getting any shavings in the eye. I always assumed it was from the ball wearing on the housing. I was excited to hear that the Watkins swivel was getting redesigned more like the Everlast one in hopes of following Alan's suggestion in his review video on shortening the arc of the bag. On the other hand I wasn't aware of all the customer service problems they had until searching through the forums. Once again, thanks for all the input. I look forward to making the inevitable frustrating switch from the U-bolt to the ball hook. MsDeville - message sent.

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

You might (instead?) consider making one of aad003's leather straps. The leather strap idea solves the shavings problem, as far as I know. Not sure if you can find a hook in stainless to go with the eye is what I'm saying.

I'm aghast at all the eye injuries reported. Something is terribly wrong if that is happening so often.
                              Last edited by paranday; 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...