X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tryme
    • Mar 2010

thicker the board quieter the rebound?

hi guys i was thinking of getting a new drum as my spag bag and platform is in my garage which is quite busy with other garages and a community centre and i feel quite self concious to really let it rip on the bag as its sooo loud. personally i dont mind the sound as it seems quite old school but was thinking of getting a thicker board so i didnt attract as much attention, is this the case?
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Not necessarily. Its also gonna be heavier, I hope its a solid wall.

MsDeville's got a nice drum, made out of steel plate which perhaps should be refered to as a cymbal rather than a drum. It doesn't seem to have that thud sound and has more of a tink noise about it.

Either way, if you're gonna go all out at it, I don't think its gonna make much difference what you have for a drum, you will make noise.

Ok, just had a couple of thoughts running through my head, no gags no puns, why don't you line the drum with carpet

Ya!
    I think I'll go P.U.I now...

Oh!
    PS Everybody: I just got my drivers/riders license back today, so tonight I'm gonna celebrate and go clubbing at a gothic dance party
    Last edited by Roc Stone; 10-22-2010, 03:49 AM.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Like Roc, said, not necessarily

Hey there, Tryme.

To give you an idea of the noise of other platforms, here are a couple of links showing examples of different platforms that I have used.

I've seen Brian Tichy (aka spinsmashpop on Speedbagforum com) and others do what I call the Speedbag Drum Roll. So, of course I had to try it... I'm still re...

As Roc stated, my metal drum does indeed have a different sound to it when punching on it. It's what I started out on, and so far it's my favorite to hit on. As you can see, it's very thin (I think it's 3/4-inch steel with some pipe insulation tubing stuff running around the edge of it for safety reasons. I have some weight on the top to eliminate the little bit of vibration I get off of it. But, overall, it has great rebound qualities. After all, it's probably the most solid kind of material one could use to get good quality rebound action.

I happen to have the good fortune of having my own personal in-house trainer and fabricator of platforms – a semi-retired builder with extra time, materials, and tools on hand.

Here's a sample of how a concrete speed bag platform sounds inside the garage. This platform is considerably quieter when working out on it. I usually punch to music, wearing my ipod earphones and I have found that I don't have to play my music quite as loud as I do when using the metal platform.

Raul, a speed bag platform innovator and my personal trainer has been at it again. This time he built a concrete speed bag platform. He constructed this plat...

Note that I try out two different kinds of swivels in this clip. I have found the metal ball hook to be more satisfying. Something to consider, your swivel itself will create a certain amount of noise.

Oh, and I noticed that it's your birthday today! Happy Birthday!
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• tryme
        • Mar 2010

thanks guys kinda helps a lot.

the wall is solid, good old london brick.

also miss both your boards are considerably quieter than mine!
        Last edited by tryme; 10-24-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...