• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Bible Challenge

Has anyone completed the speedbag bag bible from front to back and did EVERY SINGLE EXERCISE listed in the book? Not just learning the technique and going on to the next. But i mean ALL the exercises the way they are written. And not just get "lucky" on some of them and move on....but really get each one down. I may have to give it a shot. It should keep me busy all winter! This is the only "homework" i will enjoy doing! LOL...what about you Alan? Ever tried it?
    evilswivel@yahoo.com
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
    Has anyone completed the speedbag bag bible from front to back and did EVERY SINGLE EXERCISE listed in the book? Not just learning the technique and going on to the next. But i mean ALL the exercises the way they are written. And not just get "lucky" on some of them and move on....but really get each one down.
    I'm working on this. I won't likely be doing the kicking section though It's going to take some time, probably years, to be honest. I typically punch up some of the written exercises, then free style for a bit. or sometimes just freestyle. It's taking me 6 or 7 sessions for some of the exercises (i.e as you mention really learning the technique and being able to repeat it, not just getting lucky once or twice.). Sometimes I get distracted as well... that d-des ' i-des ' o-des idea came to me while working on the elbow section. Once that idea took hold I focused on that for 2 or 3 weeks.

I can't stress enough how beneficial the written exercises are. They force you to do things differently than you normally do and make sure you get out of your "comfort zone".
    Last edited by Tim; 10-15-2010, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

My bad. Your right tim. Exclude the kicks and martial arts stuff. But all the punching work is what i meant.
      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

The key to your query....Discipline! So easy to get distracted when working on the technipues as written. Especially when miss-hits happen.
        sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Has anyone completed the speedbag bag bible from front to back and did EVERY SINGLE EXERCISE listed in the book? Not just learning the technique and going on to the next. But i mean ALL the exercises the way they are written. And not just get "lucky" on some of them and move on....but really get each one down. I may have to give it a shot. It should keep me busy all winter! This is the only "homework" i will enjoy doing! LOL...what about you Alan? Ever tried it?
          HA!! is this a trick question?? During final edit I did every line several times, (and often while writing it...) to be sure of the combo. especially in the more complicated Side exercises of chapter 9, advanced chapter 10 and echo rhythms chapter 11. (* even then I had numerous typo errors for the first three printings). Some are pretty complex combinations with lots of variations to work off into. Understanding the concepts of all the variations off the three side double punch variations (Side Double Punch_SDP, Reverse-Side Double Punch_R-SDP and Side-Reverse Double Punch_S-RDP) can almost create it's own book. The single most amazing demo I have seen was Roc Stone doing the entire 8 lines of page 152, none stop in one combo, NO errors. amazing.

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          I'm working on this. I won't likely be doing the kicking section though It's going to take some time, probably years, to be honest. I typically punch up some of the written exercises, then free style for a bit. or sometimes just freestyle. It's taking me 6 or 7 sessions for some of the exercises (i.e as you mention really learning the technique and being able to repeat it, not just getting lucky once or twice.).

I can't stress enough how beneficial the written exercises are. They force you to do things differently than you normally do and make sure you get out of your "comfort zone".
          I agree (duh) about the written exercises. The First thing I had to do early on was have a way to write down what the hands, elbows and bag actually do, and account for each side of the bag and each rebound. I could not convey all the basics or options with a way to write it down. Showing people endlessly didn't work because the next day they could not remember. They needed sheet music.
          The second important part of that IMO is for YOU to be able to write down things that YOU do in a meaningful way to remember them. I still use the system all the time, particularly with all the new combinations and options I see from the likes of Tim, Skunk, Deano, Baggist and a host of others. Whenever I see something that is NOT part of "my normal" set, I slow it down, understand it and then write it down, including shadow punches and double bumps. (most people fall into a very predictable, "normal set" of combinations when they hit. Myself and Jim Caher could tell who was on the bag pretty much by the sound of their bag combo's. Almost every bagger I have ever been around has a predictable method to their punching. Me to.)

My bad. Your right tim. Exclude the kicks and martial arts stuff. But all the punching work is what i meant.
          If you really want to know the truth, I mean THE truth, then the only difference between me and a whole lot of forum members is the understanding of my terminology and written system. From a pure PUNCHING, Bag skill standpoint, there are many who do 90% or more of what I do on a speed bag. People who "hit like me" are now common place. Single and Double fist Pass throughs (linking), all the elbow strikes, and now punch drumming. Yea, baby, there are lots of baggers doing pretty much what I do. The only difference I can see is - they often struggle with the names of techniques, and very few actually write it down - at least on the forum. I have had numerous emails from people with written SB exercises and questions about this or that, but the complete understanding of "my" technique names and system of using it is pretty rare.

But the punching skills, bag control and understanding of how it works is there. JumpCannon and Tim, you might not believe this, but I got nothing skill wise on either of you guys anymore. I remember when I did, but certainly not now. As you can both attest, the more you do, the more you can do and the easier it gets. Look at all the folks doing double split fists, and double punch rotation of fists combos. Triple Elbow Strikes linking the lead, second or both fists through, etc. Lots of people now do them and understand them. Actually I could name a bunch of baggers who can throw down most of what do. Yes it was amazing to see in the mid 90's and early 2000's, but now it is common place. Query speed bag punching on youtube and you'll see lots of people doing most of what I do. Maybe not most of the written combo's in chapter 10 and 11, but still, most of those were only written to teach all the variations and possibilities. Many of those combo's I rarely or never do in my own normal punching "set".

You look to have the skills already, just learn the "book system" (if you want...) and your good to go.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

I just like the exercises in the book cause its sheet music for bagging. I learn alot from videos. But the book is awsome for the exercises. Be cool if we made up our own combo's and written them down on here. Be kindof a way to push each other to practice different things. I am just getting into side punching and the book has helped me more on that than anything. Starts at ground zero, gives simple exercises, and keeps progressing. EXCELLENT learning tool. Biggest thing that helps me are the bounce marks ' ' ' ......Its make me understand WHEN to transition between a front punch to a side punch or vice versa.
            evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

...Starts at ground zero, gives simple exercises, and keeps progressing. EXCELLENT learning tool...
              Agreed, and by following the exercises in the order presented, my guess is that most people would pick up Alan's writing system without really studying it, and without intimidation.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                Agreed, and by following the exercises in the order presented, my guess is that most people would pick up Alan's writing system without really studying it, and without intimidation.
                Lest this be read as self grandising, which is not, I completely agree. Page by page, in the order presented, it should be easily absorbed.

thanks, Paranday.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Lest this be read as self grandising, which is not, I completely agree. Page by page, in the order presented, it should be easily absorbed.

thanks, Paranday.
                  I rekon working through each page and the chapters as they are written is the best way to get the most out of the SBB -and the speed bag.

Comment

• toskabab
                    • Jan 2016

This is what I'll be doing from day 1! It may take longer, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Comment

• rick1
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
                      I rekon working through each page and the chapters as they are written is the best way to get the most out of the SBB -and the speed bag.
                      What are you baggers using for your criteria to decided that you have mastered the line and its time to move on to the next item in the book? e.g. like 5 or 10 of reps with no errors and 80% max speed. I think I have been moving too fast through the pages and not mastering each. I was thinking 5 reps at speed where a relaxed double punch takes me is .7 sec with the simple R DCP'''L DCP''' but that might be too low. I could do 50 DCP before a miss hit so I thought more than mastered. But Alan suggested I try alternating the starting hand on each 1st hand hit and the number dropped to 5 or less and this made me realize that I was thinking that I was making good progress. I was up to later chapters doing the basics but then I went back to chapter 5 and did each progressive line by line until master. After a few pages there we a few slight changes I overlooked. All of a sudden the exercise line was not easy to do and would require much more time. Alan has put alot of thinking in to each line so I need to take advantage of this and not rush through the pages and am looking forward to getting the DVDs that go along with the SSB book.
                      Last edited by rick1; 01-11-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by rick1 View Post
                        What are you baggers using for your criteria to decided that you have mastered the line and its time to move on to the next item in the book? e.g. like 5 or 10 of reps with no errors and 80% max speed. I think I have been moving too fast through the pages and not mastering each. I was thinking 5 reps at speed where a relaxed double punch takes me is .7 sec with the simple R DCP'''L DCP''' but that might be too low. I could do 50 DCP before a miss hit so I thought more than mastered. But Alan suggested I try alternating the starting hand on each 1st hand hit and the number dropped to 5 or less and this made me realize that I was thinking that I was making good progress. I was up to later chapters doing the basics but then I went back to chapter 5 and did each progressive line by line until master. After a few pages there we a few slight changes I overlooked. All of a sudden the exercise line was not easy to do and would require much more time. Alan has put alot of thinking in to each line so I need to take advantage of this and not rush through the pages and am looking forward to getting the DVDs that go along with the SSB book.
                        Hi rick1. As for me- I wouldn't claim to be a master. I never set myself any strict expectations or criteria, but have punched my way through the awesome SBB, with, as I progressed, an ever improving degree of competency. Some exercises had me stumped when I first came to them and rather than lose confidence decided to go back to them after I had a peek at what was coming next. For example the ex 5H on pg 149 had me stumped for a while. That one could be a real ball buster! At the time I was finding combinations involving S-RDP and R-SDP quite intimidating so rather than work on one combo fruitlessly, I went back and forth through the book doing stuff until a point came in time where the ex5H just came to me. I realised that the more I learned, the faster I could learn.
                        Probably not being in a rush to get to the end of the book is a better way to word what i'm trying to recommend.
                        Alan really must have put a lot of thinking into each line and we are fortunate to have someone who has done that for us. Since the abbreviations need to be properly understood for the reader to get the most out of the content, skipping ahead too early on could undermine a bagger's efforts and hinder their progress through the awesome journey that the SBB takes you along. The sequence AK has written it in is ideal for progressively building skill levels.
                        Whichever way you approach it, once you own a copy, provided you look after it, it's yours for life and it's never too late to go back and nail that combination that was troubling you.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...