• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliff
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2010

Swivel Dilemma

I currently live in an apartment with close neighbors, so the idea of installing a speed bag platform will not fly. So, I joined a nearby boxing gym that has some platforms setup. The problem is that the swivels are not very conducive to multi-directional hitting. I believe the swivels are everlast.

The guy there is real cool and doesn't mind if I bring in my own bag and swivel ( i got my own bag for free at speedbag 2010, thank you very much). So, I have been trying to find a nice swivel that can screw into an everlast base, but it seems like the only ones out there are the new "U" shaped swivels from everlast and they don't seem conducive to multi-directional hitting either. I tried to order a boxing gear ball hook swivel, but they are on back order until December. They are actually redesigning them for this exact purpose - to fit the everlast base. I tried to order a chain link swivel on ebay, but it turns out the guy put the wrong picture and actually was selling the "u" shaped swivel.

So, my question is...what's the best swivel out there that I can screw into an everlast base, and where can I find it? Or, if there are no alternatives, how is that "u" shaped swivel for multi-directional hitting?

Thanks!!
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

I tried the u-bolt a few times, i thought it was pretty good. i think most would agree the ballhook is where its at though. Probably your best bet would be searching wherever they sell used stuff ebay, craigslist, garage sales, thrift store.

thanks for that info on boxing gears ball hook swivel. Once they are available again im definately getting one.

Comment

• cliff
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Oct 2010

Yeah, my dad has a platform with the boxing gear ball hook swivel and I am absolutely spoiled by it. I guess I'll just have to wait until December.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by cliff View Post
        I currently live in an apartment with close neighbors, so the idea of installing a speed bag platform will not fly. So, I joined a nearby boxing gym that has some platforms setup. The problem is that the swivels are not very conducive to multi-directional hitting. I believe the swivels are everlast.

The guy there is real cool and doesn't mind if I bring in my own bag and swivel ( i got my own bag for free at speedbag 2010, thank you very much). So, I have been trying to find a nice swivel that can screw into an everlast base, but it seems like the only ones out there are the new "U" shaped swivels from everlast and they don't seem conducive to multi-directional hitting either. I tried to order a boxing gear ball hook swivel, but they are on back order until December. They are actually redesigning them for this exact purpose - to fit the everlast base. I tried to order a chain link swivel on ebay, but it turns out the guy put the wrong picture and actually was selling the "u" shaped swivel.

So, my question is...what's the best swivel out there that I can screw into an everlast base, and where can I find it? Or, if there are no alternatives, how is that "u" shaped swivel for multi-directional hitting?
        Thanks!!
        Hi Cliff.

the U-bolt will work fairly well for multi directional hitting. Many of us have used it for that, you just need to understand some of the possible limitations that it's design can create. These may, or may not, effect your punching. Most of us find that occassionally (not always) the action is a bit weird and the bag may slide down the bar or float a bit - mostly when doing more complex side punching combinations. But those of us that do side double punching usually do it a lot, - and the problem occurs occassionally. It "can" create mis-hits. Not always, but personally I find more mis-hits on the U-bolt stay than any other and I can almost always attribute it to the fist making contact when the U-bar is angled vertical to the fist contact, not wide and horizontal. It is certainly better than NO swivel, which really sucks.

hope it helps.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• cliff
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2010

after further investigation I think that the swivel currently at the gym is this swivel http://www.ringside.com/E-Z-Lock-Pro...ductinfo/PS+2/

it is not very good when you try to mix in SDP combos

Since it is a ringside swivel, I am hoping other ringside swivels will screw into its base.

This mexican style swivel is looking kind of decenthttp://www.ringside.com/MEXICAN-STYL...ductinfo/PS+4/

Comment

• jumpcannon
            Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

You, me, and many others are on "backorder" from that place and have been for a long time. Dont rely on getting one from there. I already have given up and luckily found me a ballhook swiv from a local used sporting goods store.
            evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yeah, my dad has a platform with the boxing gear ball hook swivel and I am absolutely spoiled by it. I guess I'll just have to wait until December.
              Keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist as well. Used metal ball hooks surface quite frequently. Many people here buy bags they don't want, simply to get the swivel.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

after further investigation I think that the swivel currently at the gym is this swivel http://www.ringside.com/E-Z-Lock-Pro...ductinfo/PS+2/

it is not very good when you try to mix in SDP combos

Since it is a ringside swivel, I am hoping other ringside swivels will screw into its base.

This mexican style swivel is looking kind of decenthttp://www.ringside.com/MEXICAN-STYL...ductinfo/PS+4/
                I've used the one at the top link. It actually works like an Everlast chain link where the bag loop slides along the U bolt rather than swinging in the same direction as the U bolt. I think the weight of it makes it control well but like a chain link it isn't good for side punching.

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

Ah yes the "hybrid" swivel, part "U" bar, part roller chain swivel. It pretty much behaves like a chain swivel, minus the hassle usually associated in changing bags out.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...