• Show
Clear All
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

It's a miracle!

I learned how to use a drill!

And all because of the speedbag!

Seriously, I own a nice Bosch drill that's had a lot of use, except NOT BY ME!
    I admit I'm terrified of the thing and while I can do a bit of DIY stuff, never the DRILL.

However I really wanted to improve my speedball set up and there was no way round the drilling thing. I wanted to do it myself, so in a 'feel the fear and do it anyway' kind of thing I did it and have emerged triumphant!

Now, I KNOW you guys just won't relate to this but too bad - I am so proud of my efforts here is proof:

First I have bolted a new thicker drum to the existing brackets. It is from the 2nd hand fitbox platform a got awhile back. It involved drilling 4 new holes with countersinks.

Second I fitted a new swivel, a metal ball hook swivel in an everlast housing made by Fingers from a door knob. Fantastic! I love it.

Third, I double bagged my sand cos it kept springing leaks and finally:

Put up a ball rack and shelf (MORE drilling!!)

Board makeover!
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

This looks so good, honestly, you could next take up dentistry if you wished to do some more drilling.

So, is that a metronome I see?
    Last edited by paranday; 08-22-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
      I learned how to use a drill!
      Congrats Mitts. Sounds like a nice setup upon which a more solid future is built

I hate drilling holes too. I've messed up enough things such that I get nervous every time

Comment

• Joe
        • May 2010

Good work!! Looks wicked sturdy.

I can't imagine not LOVING power tools. I dig all that stuff... drills, saws,compressors, air nailers!! I can't say I love my table saw though. That thing still scares the crapola out of me.

I like that drum - It that something you made or purchased??
        sigpic

Comment

• fingers
          Speed Bag Guru
          • May 2008

I am impressed Mrs M!! looks like a solid setup! even got your own spotlight glad you like the swivel how about a video!!!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Great Job! I for one am very proud of you, because I've seen this before. First you conquer the drill, next you will be doing double split fists and 4-way elbow strikes.

Congrats, Mrs. Mitts.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

What a fabulous set-up, Mrs. Mitts! Looks great!

Yes, it feels good when you can accomplish something like this. I'm impressed. The only "power tool" I've used lately is my little battery-charged screw-driver. I must confess, I'm feeling creative lately and I would really like to construct my own (portable) platform...
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                This looks so good, honestly, you could next take up dentistry if you wished to do some more drilling.

So, is that a metronome I see?
                Very funny! That's another kind of drilling that makes me break out in a sweat

Yes it's a metronome, but I'm finding using it quite a challenge at the moment.

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Congrats Mitts. Sounds like a nice setup upon which a more solid future is built

I hate drilling holes too. I've messed up enough things such that I get nervous every time
                I find that hard to believe!! (but it makes me feel a bit better!)
                Originally posted by Joe View Post
                Good work!! Looks wicked sturdy.

I can't imagine not LOVING power tools. I dig all that stuff... drills, saws,compressors, air nailers!! I can't say I love my table saw though. That thing still scares the crapola out of me.

I like that drum - It that something you made or purchased??
                The drum came from a platform set up made by a company called Fitbox.

looks like this:

I bought cheap secondhand over a year ago. It was too heavy duty for my wall, and no-one on the forum uses one like it to say whether it was a particularly good setup. In the end I thought, the drum at least is better than what I've got so why not use it.

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                I am impressed Mrs M!! looks like a solid setup! even got your own spotlight glad you like the swivel how about a video!!!
                Yes, due for a video soon.......

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Great Job! I for one am very proud of you, because I've seen this before. First you conquer the drill, next you will be doing double split fists and 4-way elbow strikes.

Congrats, Mrs. Mitts.
                Thanks Speedbag!! Would be fantastic to get those down with confidence!

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                What a fabulous set-up, Mrs. Mitts! Looks great!

Yes, it feels good when you can accomplish something like this. I'm impressed. The only "power tool" I've used lately is my little battery-charged screw-driver. I must confess, I'm feeling creative lately and I would really like to construct my own (portable) platform...
                Cool, I'm sure you could do it too!!

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                  Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Congrats on the power tools, be safe.

I just rebuilt a metal ball swivel, the band saw sent one piece flying and the buffer shot another piece out of my hand. I'm good at cautioning others but don't take my own advice. I once did come welding and grinding on my Moms lawn mower and got metal specks burnt into my glasses. I never used to use face shields at home growing up, glad I at least had my glasses on that time.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Great job on the setup Mrs M!! Trust me, I can totally relate...until my first job in the trades, I never used anything more than a screwdriver and hammer (Talk about Three Stooges style craftsmanship!). Nothing like the feeling of DIY done right....now on to the videos!
                    sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...