X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe
    • May 2010

unlike the Deathstar... I am "fully operational"

I finally got off my buttinski and hung my bag yesterday. I have been debating back and forth on how to build my platform for weeks. Finally I walked by an elcheapo open box at Dicks Sporting yesterday. So I got the everlast starter set (wall mount, drum, jumprope, gloves, swivel and vinyl bag) for less than 50bucks out the door.

It had the Everlast plastic swivel. It has a weird triangular carabiener kind of hook and not an s hook. I mounted my title bag after securing it to the studs in my garage. It's not as fancy as what most of you guys have but its solid and I have officially started bangin!

I suck but will keep ya posted on my progress.
    Last edited by Joe; 08-17-2010, 07:51 AM.
    sigpic
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by HomerFett View Post
    I finally got off my buttinski and hung my bag yesterday. I have been debating back and forth on how to build my platform for weeks. Finally I walked by an elcheapo open box at Dicks Sporting yesterday. So I got the everlast starter set (wall mount, drum, jumprope, gloves, swivel and vinyl bag) for less than 50bucks out the door.

It had the Everlast plastic swivel. It has a weird triangular carabiener kind of hook and not an s hook. I mounted my title bag after securing it to the studs in my garage. It's not as fancy as what most of you guys have but its solid and I have officially started bangin!

Good to hear you've started to officially bag at your house, HF. Everyone's journey starts with the first step. All of us were beginners at one time. Don't be too harsh on yourself. And please do keep us posted on your progress.

Also, I'm sure you can pick up and swap out an S-hook for the carabiner.

Comment

• Joe
      • May 2010

Should I switch it? I mean does it make a difference for me do you think?
      sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

If you're baggin', you ain't laggin'!
        I got the same set up back in 2000.
        It sat for 8 years!
        I still use it in my garage, (I had 2 but gave one away)... now I have to set up the 2 Everlast adjustables... but I've been lazy....and I also thought Title might have been getting me tied into to them, so I didn't want to set up the Evelast, then take them down to set up Title plats....

Anyhow.. you're baggin' and that's all that matters....
        BAG ON , don't DRAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Many of us started out with modest speed bag sets. The unit shown in "The Speed Bag Bible" Book and DVD's cost all of $49.00. Still works just fine.

If you can't be with the board you want, then punch the board you're with. ( Bag and swivel too).

Keep at it and let us know how you're doing.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            If you can't be with the board you want, then punch the board you're with. ( Bag and swivel too).
            YEAH!
            BAG ON! Don't DRAG ON!

Comment

• Roc Stone
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2007

Excellent!
              sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Originally posted by HomerFett View Post

Glad your up and baggin Homer!! who needs a fancy platform? you should check out my first cheap one! but one thing for sure as you get into it you will want to upgrade......its in a baggers nature.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hey HomerFett, er, I mean JOE!

So you finally did it! Great! Just remember to keep your elbows up and you'll make quick progress. Oh, and wear some wraps or gloves – something without seams...
                  Can't wait to see your first video. Don't be shy now!
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• crapshoot
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Joe View Post

I thought I was the only one who OCD bout worrying over the mounting

I have the same set, only modified a little. As far as the carabiner, at first I hated it, but the more I hit it, the more I realized the technical difficulties weren't with the equipment ("a poor craftsman blames his tools" ). One thing to look out for is make sure the carabiner closes. Sometimes it it locks open. The good thing about the bag in the set, is that it is a nice soft vinyl. Easy on the hands and a nice bounce.

Comment

• Joe
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                      I thought I was the only one who OCD bout worrying over the mounting
                      Hahah when it comes to my hobbies I am wicked OCD too. This time I just said "screw it" and it was better to just get started practicing than wait until all the stars were aligned...
                      I can't believe how quick time goes by under the board. This is wicked fun. Honestly I would not know the difference between a top quality setup and what I have now. I threw some weight on the top of it and its really quite sturdy I think.

sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                        I can't believe how quick time goes by under the board. This is wicked fun.
                        Crazy, ain't it? It's like a time warp.

Honestly I would not know the difference between a top quality setup and what I have now. I threw some weight on the top of it and its really quite sturdy I think.
                        One of the beauties of this sport is just how cheap it is to get started ....

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

So true.

Well done Joe, getting the set up done is half the battle. Took me months to get round to it, and even now it's not the board I want. 2nd hand old budget board that keeps working loose and is set a tad too low, but hey I'm so glad it's up there! Like you I'm on the journey now!!

I got a new Everlast platform still in the box under the bed but I can't put it up until maybe Christmas cos of construction work happening soon.

By the way, your animated avatar is......!!!!

One last thing, please tell me there's no way that medicine ball is ever gonna roll onto your head!

Comment

• Roc Stone
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2007

Is that you Joe or David Hasselhoff?

Go the Right Nider!
                            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Great avatar. Except it makes me dizzy to look at it!
                              But, then, looking at Hasselhoff usually does that to me...
                              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...