X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

Speed ball/bag size database?

With the craziness of sizing the various bags/balls and the frequent questions of comparing bags and ball sizes, what do you all think about starting a thread or sticky under the "Reviews" section containing the length and width of bags we all own?

I could compile and edit the thread with the information. All I would need is the height (minus the loop length), loop length, and circumference (in inches or centimeters). The weight of the bag might be helpful, but not necessarily needed. I don't know if the shape would be needed.

What do you all think?
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
    With the craziness of sizing the various bags/balls and the frequent questions of comparing bags and ball sizes, what do you all think about starting a thread or sticky under the "Reviews" section containing the length and width of bags we all own?
    I think it's a good idea.

I could compile and edit the thread with the information. All I would need is the height (minus the loop length), loop length, and circumference (in inches or centimeters).
    We'll need to standardize how we measure. Height is tricky, because bags don't lay flat. How do you recommend we standardize that? i.e. what's the best way to measure bag height?

The weight of the bag might be helpful, but not necessarily needed.
    I think the weight is important. The 4 oz bags are the ones that feel "like punching air" and some people don't like that. It's often not the dimensions but the weight that turns people off of a bag.

I don't know if the shape would be needed.
    Pictures would be nice

Comment

• PIEFURZ
      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

ideas

May also include what the manufacture specs are, if any, understanding that they may all do it a little different, hence part of the issue with comparing one bag to another. I've tried a little but can't say I understand how different ones are measured. Kudos on a picture as it will show the type of seams and if the air hole sticks out enough to scratch hands. The Everlast Ta:L sticks out about 3/8". Can trim it down. Ideas to start the list, strap length and width, diameter and circumference at the biggest area, length not including strap or extra long air nipple, straight up and down, not on the surface. Maybe also length on the surface would be interesting to compare bags of the same dimensions but different shapes. Weight would also be good but I leave the measuring of bags in grams to Tim. Could lead to security investigations in my case. Credit to ideas mentioned by others already and of course open to more ideas. Pictures of a bag being measured would help standardize technique. Let the bagging commence.

Comment

• crapshoot
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        We'll need to standardize how we measure. Height is tricky, because bags don't lay flat. How do you recommend we standardize that? i.e. what's the best way to measure bag height?
        I agree, if the bag is flat there are bigger problems than dimensions LOL. The measurements would have a certain small margin of error, but standing it up as straight as possible with a tape measure next to it might work (although getting down to anything smaller than a quarter inch gets tricky). Another option would be hang it and measure from the board down with a tape measure and placing a ruler perpendicularly (?) to the tape measure would make it more accurate. Of course you would then subtract the distance from the board to the top of the bag where the loop starts. The loop would be measured separately by pinching the loop flat and measuring it from the top of the bag to the top of the loop. Also, the width of the loop is important.

I think the weight is important. The 4 oz bags are the ones that feel "like punching air" and some people don't like that. It's often not the dimensions but the weight that turns people off of a bag.
        I didn't think of that. Time to buy a mini-scale.

Pictures would be nice
        That would solve the shape issue piefurz brought up below.

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
        May also include what the manufacture specs are, if any, understanding that they may all do it a little different, hence part of the issue with comparing one bag to another. I've tried a little but can't say I understand how different ones are measured. Kudos on a picture as it will show the type of seams and if the air hole sticks out enough to scratch hands. The Everlast Ta:L sticks out about 3/8". Can trim it down. Ideas to start the list, strap length and width, diameter and circumference at the biggest area, length not including strap or extra long air nipple, straight up and down, not on the surface. Maybe also length on the surface would be interesting to compare bags of the same dimensions but different shapes. Weight would also be good but I leave the measuring of bags in grams to Tim. Could lead to security investigations in my case. Credit to ideas mentioned by others already and of course open to more ideas. Pictures of a bag being measured would help standardize technique. Let the bagging commence.

Comment

• fingers
          Speed Bag Guru
          • May 2008

Great idea!!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Feb 2010

I also think this would be a great idea and soon become an essential reference for bag seekers!

Dimensions and weight are all important as has been said. I would measure the height with it inflated standing upright. A couple of good close up pics are vital, showing seams, lacing and loop. If possible a comparison pic with a popularly owned ball (like the yellow/black everlast 6x4) is a handy immediate reference point.

Other useful info would be where it's stocked, price or if no longer available. This would ideally need to be kept updated though.

I hope this becomes a reality, it will be worth the effort and we can all help out

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Use a pair of machinest's calipers to do the measurements, and note the physical charecteristics of the bag (pear, bananna, long neck, etc) as well as the weight and material it is made of.

Comment

• rick1
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                database for bad size, weight and shape....
                What do you all think?
                Did a database or thread ever get created? Link? Thanks

In reviews I did find this
                Last edited by rick1; 12-31-2015, 08:46 AM. Reason: found a possible thread

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rick1 View Post
                  Did a database or thread ever get created? Link? Thanks

In reviews I did find this
                  http://www.speedbagforums.com/forums...read.php?t=443

I think not. There are just too many bag changes from year to year and quality has gone all over the map.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...