• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

St. Louis SpeedBag Gathering

Hello all,

just letting you know there is a thread in events and conventions in case you haven't noticed about a St. Louis SpeedBag Gathering. I'm putting together some things and ironing out details. So far I'm thinking Labor day weekend. September 2,3-6.

Let me know your thoughts either by responding to this thread or the other.

Thanks
    Joshua/Sparrky
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
    Hello all,

just letting you know there is a thread in events and conventions in case you haven't noticed about a St. Louis SpeedBag Gathering. I'm putting together some things and ironing out details. So far I'm thinking Labor day weekend. September 2,3-6.

Let me know your thoughts either by responding to this thread or the other.

Thanks
    Joshua/Sparrky
    Sparrky, there is an aweful lot going on during Labor Day Weekend for people. But the one good thing might be to have a "speed bag fund raiser" as part of the event. Do it for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon. Get a hold of the MDA office in ST LOUIS and see if they can help get some support and advertising for you. You could do a non-stop punch-a-thon or media contest or something fun to raise money and get some notoreity for you and the bag. You might already be familiar with the national affiliation with Muscular Dystrophy association and the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) union. They've been heavily involved with MDA since it's inception. My local Fire Fighters raised thousands of Dollars for my MDA district office in Columbus, GA. I made sure they were seen on almost every 15 minute cutaway from the national show. I also made sure my TV Telethon affiilate station got lots of footage during the year of my local fire fighters fund raising events for MDA (skate-a-thons, Dances, racquetball tournaments etc.)

Also alert the MDA Telethon station affiliate in St Louis KSDK TV. They normally try to cover MDA related events (or pre-tape the telethon host or sports announcer hitting the bag making a promo..) and have the organization on the telethon to present a replica of their check (or real money). Every cut-way has local folks giving checks and the time of their appearance usually depends on the amount they give. Note McDonalds and IAFF are almost aways seen in "prime time" spots. that's because of the amounts of money they raise. Locally (St Louis) if you raise a few thousand bucks you may get a spot on the show about 6am - 8am, but its still TV.

that might be your best shot for having a successful event over labor day and getting some decent media coverage. I will be in Las Vegas that week at a VA training seminar so cannot attend. But good luck and I'll send ya some "stuff" for prizes. etc. Perhaps you could donate an autographed bag to the local "good will ambassador" (poster child) as a gift from the speed bag community. (we signed a few for that in NJ).
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
      • Jan 2010

Great Idea Alan, I will look into that. I think I speak for everyone that it wouldn't be an event without you so let's plan on a time where you, Brian, Skunk, Scissorhands, and Tim and many more are able to make it.

Just an update I've been getting warm responses from MMA/Boxing gyms sent them an email of videos so they can get a better Idea. So hard to explain to them, and they don't have a set-up worthy of a demo. None the less. I have the priority locations presented.

I have a couple of back up locations. My buddy has an old historic warehouse in Old Town St. Charles not to far where I met Dragon and TJ for the first time. It would be cool. Another is Firefighters Union Hall.

Stay tuned for Details

Comment

• Waldo
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2010

St Lois........

my name is Shawn. I know Tim, Zach, and Brian. If you wanted to have the event in Kansas City where I live (and work for Title) I could help organize the event. We could more than likely get Title involved as we are getting ready to open a Boxing/MMA super showroom. maybe we could tie it in with the grand opening. We will have other big names from the MMA and Boxing world there , so why not add to the fun with a speed bag gathering? Let me know what you think.

email me ....shawnw@titleboxing.com

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Waldo View Post
          my name is Shawn. I know Tim, Zach, and Brian. If you wanted to have the event in Kansas City where I live (and work for Title) I could help organize the event. We could more than likely get Title involved as we are getting ready to open a Boxing/MMA super showroom. maybe we could tie it in with the grand opening. We will have other big names from the MMA and Boxing world there , so why not add to the fun with a speed bag gathering? Let me know what you think.

email me ....shawnw@titleboxing.com
          Shawn! Sounds great! Thanks for the offer! I myself don't know if I cn make it yet, but the idea is killer, as are the Atomic bags!!!!
          BAG ON! And when you get real good at baggin' like Skunk and ALan....
          BRAG ON!!!!

Comment

• sparrky37
            • Jan 2010

Just letting you all know I'm still working on this event. I'm getting extremely excited about it actually.

There are some big things evolving here, I don't want to give to many details in case stuff falls through. I just want to strongly encourage you to get ready for it. Looking at sometime in the fall. Originally I was thinking labor day weekend, but Alan Kahn The King won't be able to make that weekend. I think I speak for everyone in saying it wouldn't be a SpeedBag event without the King!

I will have more details soon.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Just letting you all know I'm still working on this event. I'm getting extremely excited about it actually.

There are some big things evolving here, I don't want to give to many details in case stuff falls through. I just want to strongly encourage you to get ready for it. Looking at sometime in the fall. Originally I was thinking labor day weekend, but Alan Kahn The King won't be able to make that weekend.I think I speak for everyone in saying it wouldn't be a SpeedBag event without the King!
              I will have more details soon.
              Hey Sparrky, with all due respect I would rethink that position. Bringing several of these fine forum folks together for a night or two of bagging will make it "a SpeedBag event", with or without some of the more recognized members. Sure I'd want the likes of Skunk, Spin, Scissorhands, MsDeville, Tim (and Me if possible) etc. around, but - that really won't make or break the event. I've had great bag moments with lesser crowds, such as me and spinsmashpop, the first and second time, alone in the truck for hours, baggin' and blabbin' about life and the bag. Some great teaching moments. Hanging with Tim at his place, then with Skunk and Tim at the LaBoxing club in Orlando - watching Skunk juke jiving with Turbo B (I've got the Power). Working with "88" on Punch Drumming in NJ is a great memory, to see him "get it" and then be able to do it.

Small groups with energy - it works well, and there are lots of members here that would be great fun to meet and hang out with. It's really not about the bigger names or more talented baggers - it's about being together and sharing time. That's just my take. Easier for me to say I guess because everywhere I went, I was there. ( duh). I'd love to be there, but I can't forcast with assurity that I can get off or scrape the funds to travel anywhere in the fall. I'm growing real short on Annual Leave from my job and have other family commitments to make. I imagine it's the same for others, and christmas is also getting expensive. (More grandkids keep showing up...). I can't speak for Skunk, but he's about to hold his first born, so his funds may be a bit short come Fall 2010 and Tim just spent two or three weeks from work making Jersey happen. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. It may be easier for some to plan for next year than the fall of this year.

I know all the top baggers want to attend ANY gathering with our baggin' brothers and sisters, and will probably give verbal support but when the event comes, I suggest the group focus on the baggers that can attend and don't lament too much about the ones that can't. You'll have a ball either way, I promise.

Just my opinion
              Last edited by Speedbag; 07-08-2010, 10:25 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
                • Jan 2010

Location is a LOCK!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Location is a LOCK!
                  Wait, Wait, don't tell me.

Under the arch?

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    Wait, Wait, don't tell me.

Under the arch?

You know it Alan

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

You know it Alan
                      Golden Arches?? McDonalds?? Burger Baggin'???

nah. we'll just take the elevator.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Is the St. Louis bagathon still on?

Hope this event is still a go. I was thinking of making this a trip there and then on to the land of OZ to visit mom.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...