X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tryme
    • Mar 2010

reinforcing the board

ok i want to add some wood on the board to reinforce it as the sand bag works quite well but think it would be better with more wood attached and drilled on.

how thick would i want the wood to be ideally?
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

I think that thicker is better, from what I have read/seen. Pricier boards/drums seem to range from 1 1/4 inches to 2 or so. What I plan on doing is getting a couple of 3/4 plywood rounds to add to my cheepy and beef it up to 2 1/4.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yep, thicker is better. As long as the platform has minimal vibration and no unwanted movement it should be oK. Ideally a thick drum board with weight on top seems to work best. Some have surmised that a sand bag helps absorb vibration better than metal weights for example.

Comment

• tryme
        • Mar 2010

yeah ive got a sand bag but i dont think its enough, think ill reinforce with wood and maybe the sand bag also. would mdf work if i cant get any cheap plywood?
        Last edited by tryme; 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I'd be careful about adding more wood, you may be doing more harm than good. One quality piece of wood with a sandbag is much better than layering cheap plywood. That could just produce more vibration. If the drum isn't sturdy, I'd recommend just replacing the wood that is on there now. Can you post a photo of your setup? That would help diagnose the problem.

Comment

• crapshoot
            • Apr 2010

Another thing to remember, is that you can have the thickest board around, but if it's not secured and mounted properly, it will do no good.

Comment

• operator3
              • Mar 2010

Ive been thinking about this issue also. I'm going to go with a cargo strap and hook loop method. One hook in the drum, one hook in the concrete wall that the set up is mounted to, cargo strap at both points. The best part is the fact that you can adjust your weight/resistance/tension with the buckle on the strap. Unlike trying to find the right amount of water, wood, weights, children, etc..

Comment

• tryme
                • Mar 2010

its well sturdy in the wall but it just vibrates, the sand bag works quite well but think I could improve it more so even if I just add one piece of wood thats half an inch thick or something im sure it will help if its all tightened up.

with a much better swivel..

i also have that small everlast bag but im not sure im ready for it yet damn things so small lol.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...