Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedKilz
    • Dec 2009

I don't have a ball hook swivel so this may be a stupid suggestion. Would it be possible to "maintain" metal ball hooks by getting canned air or or an air compressor if you have one and blowing out the inside of that swivel once a week or so to get any build up out of there. I'm going to assume there not enough play in the housing to be able to effectively do that.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

I went and looked at the S hooks at a few neighborhood swing sets this morning. They do develop a wear pattern where the chain meets the S hook, but these swing sets have been installed for decades, and the wear is minimal. I see no potential for metal shards, it probably wears off as dust.

The problem with the hooks on these swivels is the crappy material. If swing sets failed like Eighty-Eight's eyebolt/S hook, we'd have a lot of lawyers advertising their services.

This metal shard swivel problem should never have happened.
      Last edited by paranday; 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• fingers
        Speed Bag Guru
        • May 2008

I have put some grease on the joint where the hooks meet!! had no problems so far the grease may catch any metal debris.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fingers View Post
          I have put some grease on the joint where the hooks meet!! had no problems so far the grease may catch any metal debris.
          That's a great idea. I think Paranday is also correct. The older swivels from the 1970's and early 80's show very little wear after years of pounding and were a better grade of metal. The late model S hooks pound down and flatten within months. Cheapo construction and poor material.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RenoRattler
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            That's a great idea. I think Paranday is also correct. The older swivels from the 1970's and early 80's show very little wear after years of pounding and were a better grade of metal. The late model S hooks pound down and flatten within months. Cheapo construction and poor material.
            Yeah, definitely. I took a look, at first it is the "chrome" that flakes off, and then I seem to wear right through main S itself.

Looks like it's glasses for me......

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
              Reno, can't you see where it came from? And is it the chrome that's breaking loose? I've never had this problem with my home made swivel. Having said that.....Did i just put a jinx in myself???
              Just had a thought!! UK used the hook from the Everlast plastic swivel could they of upgraded the metal when they discontinued the metal housing and started to produce the plastic? so as to avoid any legal problems!! i think the best cure is what a lot of forum members do (including me) is to put the metal ball in the plastic housing.

Another thing i have been trying is i got some 1 inch felt discs made for protecting furniture and stuck one to the drum under the swivel! this stops the metal ball banging up into the drum on a miss hit not that there are many of those eh!!!

Comment

• boxingadvocate
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2020

Thank you for sharing. Anyone still have these sorts of issues with todays products?

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by boxingadvocate View Post
                  Thank you for sharing. Anyone still have these sorts of issues with todays products?
                  All my recent punching has been on an Arc swivel - which has no metal on metal contact.

I spent a lot of time on metal swivels, and never had an issue - but certainly know that several people did get metal in their eyes from it.

Tim

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...