X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

historic reconstruction?

I was looking at the older photos on SC and a few things perplexed me/grabbed my attention. First, those old bags seem HUGE! Second, a lot of them seem to favor a simple eye-hook and longish cord. Third, the McFadden (photo file is labeled "McSpadden"?) or "drumless" configuration seems to have a few advantages over the platform, assuming the rebound is comparable.

This last one got me thinking (that can be dangerous trigger of my DIY gene) that it could be replicated using lawn tractor/riding mower/wheel barrow tires. It would probably need a couple of them stacked but i think it might work (WARNING: DIY gene activated!).

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks
    GO for it and let us know how it works out. I don't think anybody here has actually punched on an old school type platform. Maybe Dutchman, let's see if he chimes in.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

I've hit on Non Perill rings, and the inexpensive tubular steel and wooden rings. The Mcfadden and the bicycle wheel rings I have only seen in conditions that were unusable. The innertube rim one is one that I have only recently discovered, thanks to this forum and it's members. I would really like to see the reintroduction of the truely "big" bags, as they offer a totally different approach to the art.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        ...I would really like to see the reintroduction of the truely "big" bags, as they offer a totally different approach to the art.
        Seconded. These could develop their own following one day.

I did buy a 1940s bag, it looks great, but when I tried hitting it a few times the loop began to turn to dust.
        My hopes of finding a stash of "new old stock" jumbo bags were given a reality check.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

I would really like to see the reintroduction of the truely "big" bags, as they offer a totally different approach to the art.
          I wonder if Title would be interested in taking this idea and running with it? Title speed bags are reasonably priced and excellent quality -- they'd make a good quality big bag. But what is wanted in a jumbo bag? What size, shape, and weight, etc.?

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Hmm, interesting thought. Their 10x12 would have been considered a "small" bag back in the day. The chief issue would be is the availabilty of platforms large enough to handle a big bag. Most commercially availably ones today are 24" in diameter. The bigger bags need at least 30" to 36" or even 42" to accomadate their swing. Now that wouldn't deter a lot of people here, but the general populace would have a problem, unless they have the apttitude to build their own successfully.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hmm, interesting thought. Their 10x12 would have been considered a "small" bag back in the day. The chief issue would be is the availabilty of platforms large enough to handle a big bag. Most commercially availably ones today are 24" in diameter. The bigger bags need at least 30" to 36" or even 42" to accomadate their swing. Now that wouldn't deter a lot of people here, but the general populace would have a problem, unless they have the apttitude to build their own successfully.
              Good insight, Dutch. I think as training centers got smaller, room for speed bags got reduced and boxers wanted more speed, so the boards and bags got smaller. Then when the speed bag moved out of the boxing gym into the home and garage, people wanted lighter and cheaper equipment. Most people would not want to mount a 36-42 inch board and corresponding wall frame on a home bedroom wall or take up that much room in a garage. The max bag size I have found that works well on the 24 inch board is 11x8, and if your pounding it, you better have some sand or something on top.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...