• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fingers
    Speed Bag Guru
    • May 2008

Well i went and done it!!

So i set up a second platform with a plastic ballhook and i have to say i find it a bit slower than the U bar and i was expecting it to be harder to control!! i think the lack of speed helps here i like how gravity always helps the bag to fall central and how you use all sides of the bag where the U bar only uses 2 i am hoping that when i get my metal ball it will help with the speed, i can see how this swivel has an advantage with side hits as it can go in all directions unhindered...sometimes non intentional!! i will post a video soon but i need to work on my side and elbow techniques...i studied the bible for hours last night whist my wife watched her soap operas oh and the U bar is sooo much quieter but you all knew that anyways.

He who is about to bag salutes you!!
    Last edited by fingers; 04-02-2010, 04:50 AM.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Fingers, let us know how you like it after using it for awhile. Like anything else, it will take some time getting used to it. Looking forward to your vid.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by fingers View Post
      ...So i set up a second platform with a plastic ballhook and i have to say i find it a bit slower than the U bar ...
      Others have said the ball hook feels slower, I wonder where the slowness comes from? In this case, the plastic on plastic surfaces should slide easily, that part is largely self-lubricating. The ball hook swivel design is such a simple direct connection to the bag, wonder where (or if) energy is being lost? Maybe it's just a perception that it is slower, something you get past with a little time spent with this swivel?

Comment

• goju
        • Aug 2009

nice to hear you moved over to the ball hook fingers. take the plastic ball from the plastic housing and take the guts out of your U bolt and put the plastic ball in there mate.. in my opinion that the best setup for us UK baggers unless you are lucky to get a full metal setup.

Comment

• goju
          • Aug 2009

just too add to my last comment mate.. if you can get hold of a everlast chain link swivel.. take the guts out of that and put the plastic ball in there.. ive had no probs with that setup.. only thing you will have to do is get a hacksaw and cut the ball in half so it doesn't rub against the drum.. as you well know were pretty limited over here in the UK for swivels.. but this is by far the best i have come up with.. hope this helps mate.

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Biff View Post
            Fingers, let us know how you like it after using it for awhile. Like anything else, it will take some time getting used to it. Looking forward to your vid.
            Biff i like it plenty mate! i just need to spend more time under the board!

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            Others have said the ball hook feels slower, I wonder where the slowness comes from? In this case, the plastic on plastic surfaces should slide easily, that part is largely self-lubricating. The ball hook swivel design is such a simple direct connection to the bag, wonder where (or if) energy is being lost? Maybe it's just a perception that it is slower, something you get past with a little time spent with this swivel?
            Yes i guess it could be me i need some quality time with my swivel!!

Originally posted by goju View Post
            just too add to my last comment mate.. if you can get hold of a everlast chain link swivel.. take the guts out of that and put the plastic ball in there.. ive had no probs with that setup.. only thing you will have to do is get a hacksaw and cut the ball in half so it doesn't rub against the drum.. as you well know were pretty limited over here in the UK for swivels.. but this is by far the best i have come up with.. hope this helps mate.
            Thanks Goju i will give that a try soon! i need to get used to the bag/ball going in all directions first!

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by fingers View Post
              So i set up a second platform with a plastic ballhook and i have to say i find it a bit slower than the U bar and i was expecting it to be harder to control!!
              You'll be back to "full speed" in no time, just don't give up too easy! It's just like switching bags that are very different in size, you just have to give it some time to adjust

i will post a video soon but i need to work on my side and elbow techniques...i studied the bible for hours last night whist my wife watched her soap operas oh and the U bar is sooo much quieter but you all knew that anyways.
              I quite like the extra noise of the metal ball hook. It announces to the world: "Look at me!!!! I'm hitting a speed bag!!!!"

Others have said the ball hook feels slower, I wonder where the slowness comes from?
              Here's my take. The ball hook can be just as fast as the u-bolt (see any of Skunk's videos for proof). It takes more *EFFORT* to make it go that fast though. That's how I like to describe it. I know there is some detail missing here in regards to *WHY* it takes more effort, but that's been my experience. Maybe someone who is into physics could explain it. Friction and the surface areas involved definitely have something to do with it. U-bolts ususally have fancy bearings (at least mine does). Ballhook is just a ball and a cup.

I will say that chassis grease, graphite, or any other type of lube WILL MAKE the ball hook work better.

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Maybe it's just a perception that it is slower, something you get past with a little time spent with this swivel?
                In my opinion, no, it doesn't go away. I say that because for the past 6 months I've had both swivels hanging in my garage. And after 10 minutes on the ball hook, the u-bolt always feels easier.

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  ...It takes more *EFFORT* to make it go that fast though. That's how I like to describe it. I know there is some detail missing here in regards to *WHY* it takes more effort, but that's been my experience. Maybe someone who is into physics could explain it...
                  There are the books "The Physics of Hockey", "The Physics of Baseball", "The Physics of Basketball", etc. Maybe one day there will be "The Physics of Bagging". The Speed Bag is no simple thing, for being such a simple looking thing.

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  I say that because for the past 6 months I've had both swivels hanging in my garage. And after 10 minutes on the ball hook, the u-bolt always feels easier.
                  That clears that up. Thanks!

Comment

• riqal
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2006

One thing I have noticed about my plastic ballhook vs my u-bolt and chainlink swivels is that with the ballhook the bag has to have more inflation than with the u-bolt or the chainlink if you want comparable speed. Especially when using my chainlink, I keep the bag more than slightly underinflated and I love the way my hand sinks into the bag when I hit it. There is still speed, and it is not as hard on the hands. The rebounds are actually better (I think) when the bag is slightly underinflated. The problem is underinflated bags on my plastic ballhook provide for a pretty slow and dull punching experience. Not so with the u-bolt and chainlink.

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                      One thing I have noticed about my plastic ballhook vs my u-bolt and chainlink swivels is that with the ballhook the bag has to have more inflation than with the u-bolt or the chainlink if you want comparable speed. Especially when using my chainlink, I keep the bag more than slightly underinflated and I love the way my hand sinks into the bag when I hit it. There is still speed, and it is not as hard on the hands. The rebounds are actually better (I think) when the bag is slightly underinflated. The problem is underinflated bags on my plastic ballhook provide for a pretty slow and dull punching experience. Not so with the u-bolt and chainlink.
                      I wonder what aad03 's leather strap idea is like in this regard? That strap changes things is my guess.

So many ways to skin this monkey. (sorry Clubber)

Comment

• riqal
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2006

I wonder what aad03 's leather strap idea is like in this regard? That strap changes things is my guess.

So many ways to skin this monkey. (sorry Clubber)
                        It probably does change things, but then we are talking about a different swivel from the regular plastic ballhook.

Comment

• atgatt
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

All I have are plastic ball swivels. I'm very curious though, does the U-bolt hold the loop of the bag at the exact same distance to the platform as the plastic ball swivel does? Obviously if the ball swivel holds it farther away, your bag has to travel farther between rebounds.

Also, is your eye-bolt screwed allllllllllllllllllllll the way into the plastic ball? Until I secured both of mine, the eye-bolt would unscrew slowly which makes the distance talked about above, longer.

Also-also, it would be interesting to just hold the bag against the platform, release it and time how long it takes for the ball swivel to stop its movement as the bag slowly comes to a halt. Do it several times to be sure the time is consistent. Then do it with the U-bolt and see if it actually allows a longer swinging motion to it due to less friction. My guess is the U-bolt would move longer.

I think if both were done above we'd get some ideas what's going on. Either that, or you'd fall asleep from the boredom of it all. Heck, I may go an buy a U-bolt now.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...