• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    I got my two new steel balls (yes I said it...) a couple of days ago.

So what eye-hook goes in here, the ones from a Plastic ballhook or one from any other ballhook. (only two that I know of, Everlast and Boxing gear).
    I've got one from a plastic ball hook in mine. Haven't actually tried it though, as all my platforms are waiting to be loaded into the trailer.

What size hex wrench? Maybe I missed that....
    3/32nd hex wrench worked for me. It's a teensy tiny one, smaller than the Everlast model.

Comment

• crapshoot
      • Apr 2010

Now I've got something envy!

Comment

• operator3
        • Mar 2010

It looks like I'll be having a few more made. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Comment

• bagdaddy
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
          It looks like I'll be having a few more made. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Hi OP. I've been following this thread with great interest. I'm a newbie to baggin. In fact I haven't hit a bag yet. I'm recovering from rotator cuff repair surgery and that's what led me to question speed baggin in terms of rehab. I have some Hard Rock Maple butcher block material on order to make my own 2-bag platform (I'll call it my duplex) as well as several bags and Alan's Speed Bag Bible DVD's. For the time being, I've purchased a swivel from Title Boxing. I already have an Everlast 4440 still in the box.

I'm interested in the product your making because I believe in the way you're going about it and I trust the input you're recieving. But I think I'll hold off until you work out the bugs (if any) on the balls and put them together with a custom base. My lack of knowledge/experience would limit my qualification for input anyway. I'm wondering if when you make up some custom bases; whether the bolt pattern will be the same or not. It wouldn't be a show-stopper if it's not, but it would make for less butchering of my butcher block (pun intended).

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know of my interest in what you're doing and to suggest that others may be following this thread and ultimately waiting on the complete product as well. Thanks for what you're doing!

Ya'll have fun at SPEEDBAG 2010!!!!

Comment

• operator3
            • Mar 2010

It might be a little while before we have a "full swivel set". I am using the everlast base as a model for the new one. The holes should be exactly the same. The only difference, will be a metal base instead of plastic. Once the base is done, I only have one more part to make(the hook). My hook design/idea will be the best hook the speedbag world has seen so far.

As for your rotator, do a search for "external rotation exercises". Should decrease your down time significantly.

Comment

• RenoRattler
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
              I'll be in for 3-4 more if you do a second run. These things are awesome!!!

I was trolling through my local mall's Sports Authority, browsing the fitness area and I came across a couple Everlast plastic ball hook swivels. On sale for 4.97, so I got a manager and got them to bring all of them they had out. Picked up four total.

So I used this opportunity to throw one of these finely crafted things into the plastic base, using the eye-hook and S from the plastic ball. Works beautifully! Fit is good, and the results......man. A lot faster than the plastic ball, but with the same flexibility. No, greater flexibility. Reacts perfectly to hits, the weight of the metal is magic.

Bag on!

Comment

• operator3
                • Mar 2010

Awesome news dude! I'm happy with the way they turned out as well. I think the textured coating is a great fit on the base. The texture keeps the friction smooth rather than squeaking. I believe the texture would hold some wax better than a perfectly flat surface. I think there are only 4 left. Thanks for the good words. As for the base, I'm going to take up injection molding (see if I can do it myself. I'll run off a couple batches of plastic bases. I just need the time to get it together. In a little while, I should have a perfect swivel set. The support/feedback from you guy is a great way for me to know what needs to be tweaked. Keep the feedback coming.

I've been thinkng about using the same material they use for artificial hip joints to mold my bases out of..

Comment

• crapshoot
                  • Apr 2010

Would machining it out of hdpe be easier? And, wouldn't the textured surface wear out the plastic housing more quickly? I assume that machining the housing out of steel is too expensive although it would maximize the benefits of the textured surface of the ball.
                  Last edited by crapshoot; 06-22-2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                    I'll be in for 3-4 more if you do a second run. These things are awesome!!!

I was trolling through my local mall's Sports Authority, browsing the fitness area and I came across a couple Everlast plastic ball hook swivels. On sale for 4.97, so I got a manager and got them to bring all of them they had out. Picked up four total.

So I used this opportunity to throw one of these finely crafted things into the plastic base, using the eye-hook and S from the plastic ball. Works beautifully! Fit is good, and the results......man. A lot faster than the plastic ball, but with the same flexibility. No, greater flexibility. Reacts perfectly to hits, the weight of the metal is magic. Bag on!
                    We tried using those at SpeedBAG2010 and the shank kept flying out. The threaded shank was too narrow for the hole. ??
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• operator3
                      • Mar 2010

used the single eye hook by it self. I opened up the hook end just enough for the bag loop to go in there. Then I wrapped the hell out of it with athletic tape. As for the ball wearing out the housing, I don't think it's gonna be an issue. If your worried about the texture ripping up your base, you might want to apply some crayola or other source of wax. I'm sure any plastic source I use for the base will last longer than the crap everlast uses.
                      Last edited by operator3; 06-23-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• crapshoot
                        • Apr 2010

We tried using those at SpeedBAG2010 and the shank kept flying out. The threaded shank was too narrow for the hole. ??
                        I wouldn't be surprised if they use a metric eyebolt.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                          I wouldn't be surprised if they use a metric eyebolt.

Yes, unfortunately I didn't have time to swap out for another eyebolt. I used the eyebolt from a plastic ball, as that was all I had that was readily available.

Also the hex key i had was quite small and it was hard to really torque the set screw down.

There just wasn't enough time to do all we wanted to do at the event.

The new breed swivel will be up on one of my platforms in the near future, and I will give it a full workout and troubleshooting session.

Comment

• RenoRattler
                            • Sep 2009

Yeah, it is on the small side. I tightened it down pretty good. Maybe I've just been fortunate to not have a blow out. If I do, I'll try adding some tape to thicken the shank up.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                              Yeah, it is on the small side. I tightened it down pretty good. Maybe I've just been fortunate to not have a blow out. If I do, I'll try adding some tape to thicken the shank up.
                              It's also worth mentioning that Skunk was in the house. He can destroy equipment (bags and swivels) on command. He gave the death blow to a jim bradley swivel at the event, unfortunately didn't get it on video, but rest assured it was spectacular. Did anyone get that moment on video?

Comment

• operator3
                                • Mar 2010

I can always have the shop make the set screw and the hole it's tapped into made larger. I'll also request that they use a torx bit for the set screw instead of the usuall Allen. Good feedback

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...