X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tryme
    • Mar 2010

wrist ache in my left wrist

well ive been bagging practically every day now for the past 3 ish weeks and im starting to get an ache in my left wrist, is this normal? Will it go as I develop?
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Bagging has never caused wrist problems for me personally. However, it does sound like it could be overuse. I would suggest lay off the bag for 3-4 days and see if the pain subsides. Believe me when I say I don't bag 365 days a year. I take days, weeks, or months off as needed when pain does arise (usually shoulder impingement or elbow pain, occasionally chafed knuckles). Ice works wonders as well. Since I've started icing down my shoulders my impingement has nearly disappeared. ( I also had shoulder surgery 3 years ago).

Comment

• Bruce
      • Dec 2009

What type of hand protection are you using? Handwraps, gloves, etc?

Comment

• ukspeedbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by tryme View Post
        well ive been bagging practically every day now for the past 3 ish weeks and im starting to get an ache in my left wrist, is this normal? Will it go as I develop?
        When i first started bagging, I had pains in my elbows. Like Tim said, I gave it all a good rest and took things a little easier.
        Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I take days, weeks, or months off as needed when pain does arise (usually shoulder impingement or elbow pain, occasionally chafed knuckles). Ice works wonders as well. Since I've started icing down my shoulders my impingement has nearly disappeared. ( I also had shoulder surgery 3 years ago).
        Your spot on there Tim. Rest is important when injuries or unusual pain occurs.
        I have the odd pain in my shoulder. How often do you use the Ice Tim?
        Originally posted by Bruce View Post
        What type of hand protection are you using? Handwraps, gloves, etc?
        I don't use anything. Although it's recommended that we protect our hands, I don't think many of us actually do. Just don't hit the platform or catch the swivel. It would be interesting to hear from others.

Comment

• tryme
          • Mar 2010

I weat wraps from time to time but usually bare hands.

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Great inputs about rest and taking breaks if you have to.

Just from my experience, there was a brief period of time I tried the speed bag with various hits besides the boxing hits. Not only did it hurt my right shoulder, but my right wrist ached too, all weak spots from past injuries. Anyway, since then just punching on the front of the fists got rid of those pains.

Regarding the heavy bag, I was doing boxing hits on it but at times really extended my arms out to punch with a mix of close hits. The front of my shoulders got a steady ache and I couldn’t figure out why except for age, but after going to a boxing gym the owner said I was punching wrong by fully straightening my arms. He said your natural punch reach is still having a slight bend to your elbow and don’t go beyond that. Once I stayed with that technique, the front of my shoulders are fine. The moral of the story is, sometimes changing the way we hit gets rid of problems.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
              • Mar 2010

Interviewer: What's your prediction for the fight?
              Clubber Lang: My prediction?
              Interviewer: Yes, your prediction.
              [Clubber looks into camera]
              Clubber Lang: Pain!

Don't say I did not tell you !

Comment

• Bruce
                • Dec 2009

I weat wraps from time to time but usually bare hands.
                Like others have been suggesting, I'd probably take a break until your wrist recovers, maybe ice it down after a particularly strenuous session and then I'd commence using hand wraps due to the fact they provide additional support.

In addition, I don't know if this is a contributing factor or not in your case, but I keep my fists, and thereby my wrists, in line with my arms.... basically, I don't move my wrists at all when I'm punching. Maybe, I'm doing it wrong, I don't know... that said, however, I haven't had any issues with my wrists and I've been hitting 30 minutes daily close to 3 months now.

That's just my two cents.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                  Your spot on there Tim. Rest is important when injuries or unusual pain occurs.
                  I have the odd pain in my shoulder. How often do you use the Ice Tim?
                  I throw some ice on both shoulders for about 10 minutes after any particularly long bagging session. Only if I'm at the house, of course.

Comment

• operator3
                    • Mar 2010

From a traininers perspective, Ice is HUGE! Rest even more important. Repetative stress injuries are usually do to OVER training. If it hurts, find out why and fix it. These things won't go away if left alone. If your burning out your rotators, your overloading the connective tissue with work. Since connective tissue has less blood flow than muscle tissue it takes much longer of a rest period to heal. My right shoulder was dislocated and I fractured my collar bone (while tackleing someone during training). So my shoulder hurts when I over do it. Ice, Rest, Ice, Rest..... Speed and power don't mean a thing if your shoulder hurts too bad to throw a punch

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

I throw some ice on both shoulders for about 10 minutes after any particularly long bagging session. Only if I'm at the house, of course.
                      Thanks Tim. I'll give that a try next time I'm feeling some discomfort. The pain I get is the result of a vehicle accident about 10 years ago. Without the speed bag it would be alot worse, regular exercise seems to reduce the pain considerably.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                        • Mar 2010

Clubber Lang totally agrees and has used ice before.

Boxers are known for plunging their hands in to buckets of ice water and so are marathon runners for taking ice baths. seems to help recovery.

ice.ice.vanilla.ice.

Comment

• biguglybear
                          • Mar 2010

Don't know what size bag you're using, Tryme, but maybe you want to start using a smaller bag?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by biguglybear View Post
                            Don't know what size bag you're using, Tryme, but maybe you want to start using a smaller bag?
                            Smaller bag is DEFINITELY less wear and tear on your body, in my opinion at least. My joints ache alot more after extending punching with a 10x7 than an 8x5.

Comment

• atgatt
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Smaller bag is DEFINITELY less wear and tear on your body, in my opinion at least. My joints ache alot more after extending punching with a 10x7 than an 8x5.
                              Agreed. There is a HUGE difference from going to my 12 x 10 to 8 x 5.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...