X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tryme
    • Mar 2010

speed bagging for boxing and speed bagging for fun

Is there much difference? I mean when your training for boxing you prob wont want to throw elbows etc on the bag but most of the other punching techniques you would more than likely use on the bag right? What about that monkey punching? You guys hate it but alot of boxers do it. When you kind of really swing your arms down when you make contact with the bag.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Tryme, it's all matter of personal preference. I bought a platform and bag just over 2 years ago and planned on using it as a supplement to my regular fitness routine. After searching the web and finding Alan's site and this forum, I soon found myself "wowed" by what could be done with the bag.

After a few sessions, I was hooked. I bought Alan's SBB and DVD, watched a boatload of YouTube videos, and the rest, as they say, is history.

There is nothing wrong with using the bag to train like a boxer. Boxers and trainers have been using it this way for years.

Most people on this forum take it to a different level.

Who's right, who's wrong? No answer to that question. It's all about what YOU want to accomplish.

Comment

• tryme
      • Mar 2010

Yeah I guess that's what i'm getting at. Not only that, I want to know what that punching technique is I spoke about and how to do it.

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

tryme, I am one of the very few or only that uses the speed bags for a boxing exercise only. That is not to say that I've not tried the fancy stuff because when I did, my bad right shoulder really "talked" to me about such moves, so I stick with the boxing hits.

Still, I LOVE hitting speed bags even with just boxing hits; and, I also enjoy watching the talents of the people on this forum doing the fancy hits. Like Biff said, it's all up to YOU what you see is best. We're all one big bagging family either way.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by tryme View Post
          Yeah I guess that's what i'm getting at. Not only that, I want to know what that punching technique is I spoke about and how to do it.
          Tryme,

Check out this link - a typical boxing style speedbag workout
          SOME OF MY TRICKS LOLali tyson mayweather jr training boxing obama kimbo slice kobe bryant david beckham mike michael phelps shane mosley manny paquaio berna...

How to do it? - imagine you're pulling a rope over your shoulders with both hands. That's the action, you'll need to practise the timing and the speed will come.

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
            Tryme,

Check out this link - a typical boxing style speedbag workout
            SOME OF MY TRICKS LOLali tyson mayweather jr training boxing obama kimbo slice kobe bryant david beckham mike michael phelps shane mosley manny paquaio berna...

How to do it? - imagine you're pulling a rope over your shoulders with both hands. That's the action, you'll need to practise the timing and the speed will come.
            OK, throw stones at me. I am no "expert", but when I hit the bag "for boxing", I don't hit it with the bottom of my hands like the video shows. What does that have to do with boxing; I've never seen anyone punch like that. It makes more sense to me to mimic actual boxing moves on the bag. But then again, what do I know?

Comment

• tryme
              • Mar 2010

your right, I often hook the bag and throw jabs and straight rights and try to get that sound when you know youve got a good shot on it. Freddie roach explains it perfectly here with the left hook:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

your right, I often hook the bag and throw jabs and straight rights and try to get that sound when you know youve got a good shot on it. Freddie roach explains it perfectly here with the left hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63nDNWJAPc0
                Yeah, to each their own, but I favor just using boxing hits like you listed and a lot like this guy shows:

Fred shows you some great exercises with two types of speed bags. Learn to avoid and react to punches thrown at you and the proper method of hitting a speed...

The vid that Mrs. Mitts listed did show that guy doing some great, fast boxing hits in between his speed drills. The wonderful thing is, so much can be done with the speed bag and can be approached in so many ways and mixed in so many ways. Sometimes I am too "critical" although I may sound more serious than I really am, but the bottom line is, any way a person hits the speed bag sure beats not hitting at all.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                  • Mar 2010

Different strokes for different folks.

Dr.Clubber Lang.

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                    OK, throw stones at me. I am no "expert", but when I hit the bag "for boxing", I don't hit it with the bottom of my hands like the video shows. What does that have to do with boxing; I've never seen anyone punch like that. It makes more sense to me to mimic actual boxing moves on the bag. But then again, what do I know?
                    Granted it is not an actual boxing move, but it helps build endurance in the shoulders for keeping the arms up. At least I believe that's the purpose.

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

What about that monkey punching? You guys hate it but alot of boxers do it. When you kind of really swing your arms down when you make contact with the bag.
                      I don't hate it at all, I do that all the time. I'm thinking your referring to the front circle punching starting around :03 in the clip Ms. Mitts posted.

Comment

• riqal
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Granted it is not an actual boxing move, but it helps build endurance in the shoulders for keeping the arms up. At least I believe that's the purpose.
                        That is exactly right, Tim. The purpose of the speed bag for the boxer is to build shoulder strength and endurance so that a boxer's shoulders won't fail him or her during a fight. There are other routines such as the hand mitts, the double end bag, the heavy bag, and most importantly sparring sessions during which actual boxing punching can be practiced.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                          • Mar 2010

What about that monkey punching? You guys hate it but alot of boxers do it.

Of course we hate it.

CRUELTY TOWARDS ANY ANIMAL IS WRONG

We use speed bags INSTEAD of punching monkeys. That is exactly why speed bags were invented.

Some people say that it does not 'feel' the same - how do they know? Maybe they engage in a bit of monkey punching at the local zoo when nobody is looking? Just so wrong. Plain wrong.

I think the reason why a lot of boxers monkey punch (to quote you) is because it involves a lot of footwork chasing the little critter around the gym in order to land a punch and as we all know footwork is very important for a boxer. Not so important for a static speedy baller. That is just one possibility to explain why boxers do it.

But it is still wrong and against the No Monkey Punching Treaty signed by every country in the world.

Col Lang.
                          Recon.

Comment

• dmarino61361
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                            Yeah, to each their own, but I favor just using boxing hits like you listed and a lot like this guy shows:

Fred shows you some great exercises with two types of speed bags. Learn to avoid and react to punches thrown at you and the proper method of hitting a speed...

:
                            Great video. Thanks for sharing. I like to mix it up and like the idea this guy shares.

Jason

Comment

• tryme
                              • Mar 2010

Yeah I want to hit the bag like that from time to time, like the first thing he does on the bag, how do you do it? whats the punching motion actually called?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...