• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrownMe
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2010

new guy lookin for advice

Hey guys,

The other day I decided to try out the speed bag at the gym and immediately got hooked to it. Ever since I've been doing research to get a speedbag platform in my room.. BUT being on a budget, at the end decided that I'm going to make my own.

I already have my plan drawn up for the platform itself, but I needed some experienced opinions on the bag itself and the swivel.

Basically I'm just starting out so I dont need anything too advanced, and the platform I'm building will be 24 inches so I guess I cant use a big bag.

I was wondering which swivel is the quietest (without having to spend an arm and a leg).. If I make too much noise in the house, my moms gonna start using my head as a speed bag

Annd as far as bags are concerned they all look the same to me other than size and color so any advice in that department would be greatly appreciated.

oh and btw, I'm in Canada, so I'll probably have to order off ebay or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys (wish me luck)
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by CrownMe View Post
    Hey guys,

The other day I decided to try out the speed bag at the gym and immediately got hooked to it. Ever since I've been doing research to get a speedbag platform in my room.. BUT being on a budget, at the end decided that I'm going to make my own.
    Welcome to the forum!

I already have my plan drawn up for the platform itself, but I needed some experienced opinions on the bag itself and the swivel.

Basically I'm just starting out so I dont need anything too advanced, and the platform I'm building will be 24 inches so I guess I cant use a big bag.
    To me, an 8x5 bag is the perfect size. That will work plenty fine on a 24" board. Even a 10x7 will work, although that's about the biggest you'll be able to go.

You may want to put extra weight on top of the platform to help absorb vibration. Keep that in mind in your design (i.e. make it sturdy enough to hold 50lbs of sand safely is what I would suggest). That will help keep down the noise too.

I was wondering which swivel is the quietest (without having to spend an arm and a leg).. If I make too much noise in the house, my moms gonna start using my head as a speed bag
    I can't tell you what the quietest swivel is, but I can tell you the noisiest is the metal ball hook. Plastic ball hook is much quieter , as is chain link and ubolt style swivels.

Annd as far as bags are concerned they all look the same to me other than size and color so any advice in that department would be greatly appreciated.

oh and btw, I'm in Canada, so I'll probably have to order off ebay or something.
    We've got quite a few Canadian members, I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know where the best place to get stuff is.

Comment

• CrownMe
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2010

Hey, Thanks for the detailed response Tim.

Just an update, I found 2 used speedbag platforms, and I was thinking of just purchasinng one of those so I can start bagging quickly

What are ur thoughts on the following platform + bag + swivel combos...

The second one looks more sturdy but looks can be deceiving.. Any input on those platforms?

edit: also please keep in mind the huge price difference
      Last edited by CrownMe; 03-17-2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

The first one is the economy, or entry level platform set that Everlast has been selling in one form or another for years. It's not bad for what it is, the drum itself is a little on the thin side but it will give service. If it is actually the one pictured it has the plastic ball hook swivel, a major step up from the stamped sheet metal ones that they used to furnish with these outfits. The bag is vinyl and I haven't heard anything good about them beyound that it gives you a starting point. If you are hooked on bagging you can always upgrade to a better bag .

The second one , even tho it says "heavy duty"( and costs more) uses a single support post, which tend to have vibration issues. It also appears to have a vinyl Everlast bag with it with a variation of the chain link swivel.

Comment

• Monkeyhands
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2010

Thanks I've been looking to buy a speedbag also. I tried one the other day after my heavy bag workout. I can't believe it was so hard to hit.

Comment

• Bruce
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            The first one is the economy, or entry level platform set that Everlast has been selling in one form or another for years. It's not bad for what it is, the drum itself is a little on the thin side but it will give service. If it is actually the one pictured it has the plastic ball hook swivel, a major step up from the stamped sheet metal ones that they used to furnish with these outfits. The bag is vinyl and I haven't heard anything good about them beyound that it gives you a starting point. If you are hooked on bagging you can always upgrade to a better bag .

The second one , even tho it says "heavy duty"( and costs more) uses a single support post, which tend to have vibration issues. It also appears to have a vinyl Everlast bag with it with a variation of the chain link swivel.
            I have the Everlast setup (first link) and I can attest, that the platform is functional, although you'll notice after a month or two of practice, that the black finish on the drum, will eventual wear off on your bag, leaving a smooth texture on the drum, and a black film on your bag.

Also, I recently had to replace the vinyl bag with a leather one, because the vinyl bag began to crack. This may have been because I was using it in my garrage, and hitting it in sub-zero temperatures, during the winter months.

Can't offer any input on the second link, but I thought I'd give you my 2 cents based on my experience.

Good luck!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Monkeyhands View Post
              Thanks I've been looking to buy a speedbag also. I tried one the other day after my heavy bag workout. I can't believe it was so hard to hit.
              Monkeyhands! Hey! That is an awesome name! I want to change mine to something cooler! My daughter is Speed Bag Monkey! Check her vids out too! She's 7 and a natural!
              Check out Speed Bag Grooves... Charbaggin'.... on youtube... they changed stuff around there and I can't find the embed info now......

Crownme... others will offer better advice on building platforms and all that....
              I say if all else fails... find the lowest ceiling... screw the swiv in, get on a chair and BAG AWAY!!!

Comment

• sparrky37
                • Jan 2010

Welcome to the new Baggers. Slow Is Smooth:Smooth Is Fast.

Comment

• CrownMe
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2010

Hey guys,

thanks for all the great input... But I decided to make my own. For the simple reason that if I spend time making it, I'll appreciate it alot more.

So I probably wont start bagging for atleast as week or two, till I can get it all together.

I'll make sure I post some pictures once its good to go.

Now, heres my next question... I have an oppurtunity to get either:

1) a Boes leather Bag and Swivel ... ($72 shipped)

and

or

2) Rival Boxing, Bag and Swivel ($78 shipped)

any comments on that equipment or other suggestions or alternates?

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                    • Mar 2010

With reference to your Topic Title, the only advice I can offer is to not get too caught up in the equipment.

If you look at how I prepared for my fight against Rocky Balboa (Rocky 3) I used 'old school' minimal equipment and it proved to be a good idea!

In fact if you look at how Rocky trained for his fight against Ivan Drago, Rocky also went 'old school' and used whatever he had to hand and that resulted in success against the Russian machine with all of their fancy and expensive equipment and what not.

Also making 'ugh ugh ugh ugh' [34:24] & 'huh hah huh hah huh hah' [34:30] sounds really helped me a lot to get in to shape.

Hope I helped.

Dr.Clubber Lang.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...