X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • operator3
    • Mar 2010

Wooden dummy/speedbag combo

So I've been looking at getting a nice Wing Chun wooden dummy to put under my speedbag. I think it would be a great idea to help dial in some defensive skills.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
    So I've been looking at getting a nice Wing Chun wooden dummy to put under my speedbag. I think it would be a great idea to help dial in some defensive skills.
    Wooden Dummy and it's use have always fascinated me, as have the amazing wing chun hands movements. Joining with a speed bag would definitely be an interesting mix of movements and timing.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• whiptats
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2008

Wing Chun

Maybe a new chapter for "The Speedbag Bible". Now I'm wondering if the speedbag is going to remain a training aid or tool?...Or could it evolve into it's own competitive sport? Olympic Gold Medal for Speedbag competition?

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by whiptats View Post
        Maybe a new chapter for "The Speedbag Bible". Now I'm wondering if the speedbag is going to remain a training aid or tool?...Or could it evolve into it's own competitive sport? Olympic Gold Medal for Speedbag competition?
        Ahh, great minds think alike......

I have dreamt of that for decades. A legitimate speed bag competition, with objective competitions for skill, eliminating the inequities of the bag itself.

45 second Freestyle competition: You got two chances to go for 45 seconds, non-stop. variations could be bag size and swivel types, or the equipment of your choice, but you got two tries for 45 seconds each. Misses don't matter, but of course will cost 10ths of a point. Judges rate on speed, variety of techiques and combinations, and presentation.

2 minute prepared Punch Drumming presentation. Music and bag of your choice, or divisions of music speed and bag size. Basically, you work up a Punch Drumming presentation or your choice. Two tries. Highest score counts. Judges go by bag beat synchonicity, combination variety, and presentation.

2 minute "Blind" Punch Drumming presentation. Punch to 2 minutes of unknown music chosen by the judges. No pre-test listening. They play, you punch. Basically tests improvisional ability. points for bag beat synchronicity and combination variety. 2 attempts. Same song.

Twenty years ago I would want to be "in it". Now I'd be happy to judge it.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• operator3
          • Mar 2010

Now add a wooden dummy to that mix. Now you can go from a series of blocks, arm breaks, right into an elbow strike combo. The benefit would be great, and it would be a lot of fun to watch.

A 2 min freestyle would be really cool. To your own music, your choice of swivel/bag combo.

Comment

• whiptats
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2008

No limits!

ENDURANCE Speedbaggin! Team baggin might be like marathons where guys pass the bag to each other mid-routine. Double bag competetion(sp) would be possible. What about introducing the concept through The Special Olympics? Or what if it was like the skating competition.? guy and a lady performing a choreographed speedbag routine!! Blind baggin either with blindfolds...or a team of blind baggers.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...