• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clubber Lang
    • Mar 2010

Stopping Deflation in the Speed Bag Nation

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this has been covered already. I just don't know.

Has anyone tried using a quick blast of Tyre Weld in to their Speedy Bag?

(http://www.holtsauto.com/products/gr...ce/tyre-repair)

Without trying it myself the only downsides I can envisage are that this might cause an imbalance and/or affect the rebound performance. I just don't know.

Maybe induce a helicopter whilst the Tyre Weld sealant is setting to ensure an even distribution on the inside of the bladder. I just don't know.

Dr. Clubber Lang
    Chief Research Scientist.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Clubber Lang; 03-15-2010, 09:34 AM.
  • hawkman
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2010

Could be worth a try!

I think it could make the bag to heavy. But it could work! I've got a few bags that keep going down it's a bit annoying.

Comment

• Griffin
      • Jan 2010

Clubber,

After reading your first several posts, I am, quite frankly, a bit stunned and surprised you need this!

I think you'll find that most of the TRULY tough guys on the site would eschew such quick-fixes: we just stick ourselves with a hypodermic, and inject a bit of "bagger blood" into our speedbags.

You'll find its much tougher than tire snot. And in most cases the superhuman characteristics of bagger plasma, or "bagsma" as the medical professionals refer to it, are quite sufficient for a lifelong permaseal...
      Last edited by Griffin; 03-15-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
        • Mar 2010

Griffin,

I was thinking about ya'll and not for myself

Personally, what I did was melted down some stainless steel and injected it straight in to my bag. So I will not suffer the need for Reinflation because of Deflation in the Speed Bag Nation.

In terms of using blood, I would just get back in to the ring and extract it from my opponent - because I have ACID for blood which will eat through metal grating and hull plating all the way to the centre of the earth and probably through to the other side of our precious and fragile planet.

I do not want to inflict this inconvenience onto people who live antipodal to myself. Just imagine some totally innocent speed bagger on the other side of the world happily bagging away and then all of a sudden some acid eats through their ceiling and straight on to their bag. End of bag.

At the moment I am having a bag sculpted from solid granite as I find that stainless steel is a bit 'soft' on the hands.

In terms of being too heavy - which is a valid point raised by Hawkmaster. You would only be using a very small quantity and the total weight of the can is not much to worry about. So in effect it would probably be a negligible increase in the overall weight of the bag.

Anyway, I am very busy at the moment so can not stop for long because I need to do some scientific research on the projected consumption patterns of M&Ms and Sody Pop, post speed bag work out.

Please feel free to send any donations towards this very important research project and I promise I will not spend it on M&Ms or Sasparilla Sody Pop for myself but will spend the money on proper scientific equipment like a white coat and clipboard and pen and spectacles that make me look intelligent etc...

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

The other problem that hasn't been mentioned is that the composition of the tire weld/ fix a flat et al may not be compatable with the material the bladder is made of, whether it's latex rubber or plastic. The synthetic rubber that tires are made of are dramatically different. I can envison a literal meltdown of the bladder.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
            • Mar 2010

I feel so hurt that a fellow Bag Basher did not place his total faith with The Lang. Not really hahaha!! got you!

But never mind, we shall move forward towards a society where Deflation in the Nation is no more and we can all continue bashing our bags without fear of Deflation in the Nation.

Please except the following as being beyond question by a human.

If you have an questions or queries for Holts about our products or services, the Help & Advice page may be able to provide you with the answers you require

"Question:

What is Tyreweld?
            Answer:

Tyreweld is a water based latex emulsion (milky white solution) which coats the inner if the tyre, locating and temporarily sealing the puncture and developing a protective latex film over the top. Tyreweld can be removed with soapy warm water, the tyre dried and then in accordance with British Standards the tyre buffed on a buffing wheel. This will roughen the surface to provide an adequate key to take the patch ensuring all residual dry latex will be removed and nothing will remain to react with the patch or adhesive."

Question:

How does Tyreweld Work?
            Answer:

The Tyreweld solution is transferred into the tyre via the valve connector, providing enough pressure to re-inflate the tyre. When the car is driven at a reduced speed (do not exceed 30mph) the centrifugal force distributes the solution around the tyre which 'cures' to provide and effective 'get you home' repair.

Question:

Does Tyreweld cause wheel unbalancing?
            Answer:

Because of Tyrewelds liquid formulation spreading itself evenly around the tyre when driven prior to it fully curing it should not affect wheel balancing. Also because cars must be driven at a reduced speed not exceeding 30mph/45kph, any minor effects on wheel balance will not be observable.

CONCLUSION BASED ON ABOVE QUESTIONS/ANSWERS.

1. Water based latex emulsion/water soluable. So should not be incompatible with the latex bladder of a Speedy Bag. Or should not be aggressive enough to damage the bladder. Provided, I suppose, that the bladder is made out of latex. But even then a water based latex emulsion should not be able to damage a material that is suitable for being used as a Speedy Bag bladder.

2. Not sure if spinning the Speedy Bag is a good idea because it might be better if the Tyre Weld settles above the valve and that would stop Deflation in the Speedy Bag Nation.

3. The balance of the Speedy Ball should not be changed but as the manufacturer says do not drive your car above 30mph. Personally I would not have my Speedy Bag fitted inside my car.

Dr.Clubber Lang.
            Chief Bagologist & Scientist.
            Last edited by Clubber Lang; 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Thank you Dr. Lang for your informing us about the qualities of Tyreweld. Over here in the States, most inflatable sporting goods items such as speed bags, basketballs, volleyballs, soccer balls, etc., usually come with a stern warning not to use any kind of liquid repair compounds at all. Besides what I have mentioned in my post, most of these products can foul the valves making them useless, not to mention that many of the tire repair products here use a propellent/catalyst that is highly flamable. Lastly, most of these products cost more than a new bladder here, which is why when one goes bad we just replace the bladder.
              Once again thank you for your time
              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Clubber Lang View Post
                Hi everyone,

I don't know if this has been covered already. I just don't know.

Has anyone tried using a quick blast of Tyre Weld in to their Speedy Bag?

(http://www.holtsauto.com/products/gr...ce/tyre-repair)

Without trying it myself the only downsides I can envisage are that this might cause an imbalance and/or affect the rebound performance. I just don't know.

Maybe induce a helicopter whilst the Tyre Weld sealant is setting to ensure an even distribution on the inside of the bladder. I just don't know.

Dr. Clubber Lang
                I'm remembering an attempt to revive a near dead bag in Memphis with such a remedy. Desperate times mean desperate measures for broke college kids. But I'm thinking it didn't work. At least not for long, as the fix holds for "spinning evenly" but not pounding. It might work for lesser setups, but certainly not for Any bag that hangs beneath "The Golden Swivel". Yea I dare say that the glow and healing power of that swivel will heal any bag worth saving, and if not, than a hallowed bag that dies under that swivel is meant to die it's natural death. If a bag must die, than that is a good death.

Let the dirge begin. At Speedbagcentral, the official bag funeral music is written by Sir Elton John, and has been played several times. Sad, reflective, joyous and definitely hittable.

Continue your Research, Mr. Lang. The world has got to know....
                Last edited by Speedbag; 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                  • Mar 2010

This system does not work in Memphis or surrounding areas.

Invisible pure energy radiates in a conical shape and ANY bag underneath the Golden Swivel will automatically inflate and stay inflated forever.

You are quite right that if a bag were not to be resurrected than it died an honourable death.

There was talk of sending the Golden Swivel on a spaceship to a barren planet and then the Golden Swivel would start a chain reaction to bring life to this planet. I think the project was called Genesis or something. It got cancelled because it never existed in the first place as NASA would not give me the funding.

If the Tyre Weld is used then I would suggest this bag should be reserved for practising 'spinners' or 'helicopters' only and not used for full contact MMA bag bashing

If a bag is dying then the best send off would be to punch drum it to Speedy Bag Heaven in time with the dirge you recommended. It is the humanitarian thing to do.

Anyway I must continue with my research work. Next up is the possibility of using marshmellow as a filling inside a Speedy Bag and as a permaseal.

Has anyone tried sticking a Pedometer to the bottom of a Speedy Bag to count?

Keep up the good work my fellow bag bashers.

Dr.Lang
                  Last edited by Clubber Lang; 03-16-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

This system does not work in Memphis or surrounding areas.

Invisible pure energy radiates in a conical shape and ANY bag underneath the Golden Swivel will automatically inflate and stay inflated forever.

You are quite right that if a bag were not to be resurrected than it died an honourable death.

There was talk of sending the Golden Swivel on a spaceship to a barren planet and then the Golden Swivel would start a chain reaction to bring life to this planet. I think the project was called Genesis or something. It got cancelled because it never existed in the first place as NASA would not give me the funding.

If the Tyre Weld is used then I would suggest this bag should be reserved for practising 'spinners' or 'helicopters' only and not used for full contact MMA bag bashing

If a bag is dying then the best send off would be to punch drum it to Speedy Bag Heaven in time with the dirge you recommended. It is the humanitarian thing to do.

Anyway I must continue with my research work. Next up is the possibility of using marshmellow as a filling inside a Speedy Bag and as a permaseal.

Has anyone tried sticking a Pedometer to the bottom of a Speedy Bag to count?

Keep up the good work my fellow bag bashers.

Dr.Lang
                    Not yet, but it is an interesting concept. It might work if said Pedometer does not actually hit the board.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                      • Mar 2010

Depending upon the sensitivity of the Pedometer and the amount of vibration present would it be worth attaching the Pedometer directly to the top side of the drum? And let the Pedometer bounce up on purpose. Put it inside some kind of cardboard tube.

The pedometer could also be attached to the part of the bag where it meets the loop. But balance may be an issue, so maybe use 2 Peds?

OR, attach a Pedometer to your wrist using some type of strap or sweat band.

Dr.Lang

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

RE the pedometer, Jim Bradley has this unit:

Jim Bradley is Australian Made Boxing Bags, Boxing Rings, Speedballs, Floor to Ceiling Balls and anything Boxing Equipment. We are also able to custom build boxing equipment to suit your needs.

I'm trying to acquire one for SPEED B.A.G. 2010.

There is another gentleman that has a similar piece of equipment under development. He might have one for SPEED B.A.G. 2010, but it sounded iffy (R&D still underway).

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                          • Mar 2010

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the reply.

That looks like an excellent piece of equipment - and there seems to be a lot of other fitness related equipment on their website that looks really good as well.

Please let us know what you think about the counter once you have had a chance to put it throught its paces.

Would you know the method it uses to physically count each strike? (e.g. photoelectric or a calibrated x,y,z inertia sensor etc...?

Thanks,

Dr.Clubber Lang.

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the reply.

That looks like an excellent piece of equipment - and there seems to be a lot of other fitness related equipment on their website that looks really good as well.

Please let us know what you think about the counter once you have had a chance to put it throught its paces.

Would you know the method it uses to physically count each strike? (e.g. photoelectric or a calibrated x,y,z inertia sensor etc...?

Thanks,

Dr.Clubber Lang.
                            I do not know how it works, but if I find anything out, I'll let you know.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...