• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snoof
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2010

Ball & Hook vs. u-bolt swivels

I'm currently using a ubolt swivel and have a Watkins ball hook on order (being patient...). Just wondering what I can expect from the ball hook over the ubolt. I'm finding that when trying some advanced techniques (i.e. elbows) the ubolt isn't nearly as smooth as I think it can/should be.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Snoof View Post
    I'm currently using a ubolt swivel and have a Watkins ball hook on order (being patient...). Just wondering what I can expect from the ball hook over the ubolt. I'm finding that when trying some advanced techniques (i.e. elbows) the ubolt isn't nearly as smooth as I think it can/should be.
    Speedbagscissorhands and some of the others can show you what a U-bolt is truly capable of.

The ball hook moves equally well in all directions -- expect fewer mis-hits.

Comment

• ote888
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2010

so which of these two you probably recommend???

Comment

• fingers
        Speed Bag Guru
        • May 2008

Well you will have just opened a big can of worms!! all i can say is i use a U bar swivel and love it ! but i mainly use front and back techniques i understand the ball hook is supposed to be better for all round the bag techniques but i have never used a ball hook...mostly because i cant get one here in the UK! but when you watch Speedbagsisorhands on the U bar you can see what is possible he is the undisputed king of the U bar at the end of the day it is just a matter of taste so whatever you have from the land of swivs ...enjoy

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Ball hook will work best when you get real fancy (side punches, etc). It will require more precision in your strikes and will take more skill to make it go fast.

U-bolt is easier , takes less effort to make it go fast, and is a little more forgiving in the precision department.

If you are aiming to become a bag master you should work with both types, neer know what you will run across at a gym or friend's house.

Comment

• Snoof
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2010

That's exactly what I'm seeing Tim. I picked up a plastic Everlast ball hook when I ordered my sons bag, and gave him the ubolt. The ball hook is a bit more difficult to hit straight, and seems a bit slower, at least for now, than the ubolt I was using. Getting there though.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

All swivs are cool cuz they allow us to hit the bag!!!!
              End of story!!!!!!!!
              HAHA......

I love the all metal ball hook, but after getting on the Speed Bag Porch and trying all kinds out, I have to say I was entertained and challenged by every one.
              Practicing speed and the basics? Go for a ubolt or chain link with a XS bag..
              Working on advanced stuff, get the ball hook going and a medium bag,,,
              working on power and endurance ... dip the bag in concrete and go for it!
              I have a Lonsdale that rebounds like a tired old dog... just ain't so much fun... but... it does make you have to work on control in a different way and practice your combos all slow and even.....
              Ain't nothing wrong with that... same with my tuf Wear bag... so I say mix it up when you can and get better all around!

Comment

• Griffin
                • Jan 2010

Hey SMP --

How are you? Which Lonsdale do you have? I've been thinking about asking UK to grab one for me... they look very well made, so I'm surprised to hear it's a dog...

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                  • Mar 2010

SSP,

Dip the bag in concrete? Fill the bag with concrete more like, otherwise how is it going to handle all the P-O-W-E-R ??

actually you could dip the bag in concrete after you fill it, then the leather will be protected with a nice layer of concrete !

Clubber Lang

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    Hey SMP --

How are you? Which Lonsdale do you have? I've been thinking about asking UK to grab one for me... they look very well made, so I'm surprised to hear it's a dog...
                    Hey Griffin.. I think it's the 5x8 or 6x9.... but it looks great and the leather feels great and it is made very well! It's all white with some light blue on it...
                    But, it is kind of a dud... not much spring to its strut!
                    I love LOOKING at it! But I barely use it... I just broke in a new 4x6 Everlast black and gold. It's great! You get used to that and others kind of pale...
                    Maybe I need to break it in more... with that said, I'm gonig to try to ...
                    I don't think you need to go to the UK to get the bag though...
                    Someone please refresh my memory (Tim) , but there is a site based inthe US I ordered it form... just do a google search .....
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Spin, that's right; the blue and white lonsdale can be ordered at www.lonsdaleusa.com. I know they have a small and a large, I've got the small, which is probably closer to 6x9. It is definitely not a fast bag, but it is pretty sweet in its own way. Here's a short vid of me hitting the Lonsdale Small.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yes, okay... I too have the small then. It looks great and feels great. I now think that it is an issue of inflation or deflation.... or in not such superfluous terms, an issue of air pressure.
                        At first, it had too much air and it was all Bob Seger...."Like A Rock".....!!!! hahah!!!! Get it!
                        Then I deflated it and maybe it was a little nicer feeling but too slow...
                        I guess it is a supreme example of the "Goldilocks" syndrome....
                        "The bag has too much air, the bag has too little air, now the air is just right!"
                        So I will eventually get back to the Lonsdale and adjust the air pressure... maybe there is a happy medium..
                        Jammin' baggin' by the way!
                        Since I started 1.5 yrs. ago it seems as the bar has been raised a bit. Anyone else notice this?
                        "We're all baggin' in the free world"
                        ~Neil Young~

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Lonsdale Bag

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                          Hey SMP --

Hey Griffin, I ordered one (9x6-small size) through "LondsdaleUSA.com".
                          It was a little "pricey" and the shipping was expensive too ($12.00 from Kansas to Chicago). It's on backorder and should arrive sometime toward the
                          end of the month. I hope it hits better than Spins Lonsdale (I've since heard they are a but sluggish), either way I'll make use of it, it'll be a good practice bag (the variation can't hurt you) and it will look good hanging up with the rest of my bags!!!!
                          T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
                            Spin, that's right; the blue and white lonsdale can be ordered at www.lonsdaleusa.com. I know they have a small and a large, I've got the small, which is probably closer to 6x9. It is definitely not a fast bag, but it is pretty sweet in its own way. Here's a short vid of me hitting the Lonsdale Small.

We should call that "brick punching". Man that sounds hard. you got some tough hands. or you soon will have....
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Griffin
                              • Jan 2010

Hey Griffin, I ordered one (9x6-small size) through "LondsdaleUSA.com". It was a little "pricey" and the shipping was expensive too ($12.00 from Kansas to Chicago)
                              Thanks for the info, TJ!

There are two that I have my eye on:

and THIS one:

Pro-Box Supaspar Ten Panel Speedball - Red. Professional hand stitched Leather speed ball manufactured using ten separate panels to give the ultimate shape, response and performance. The improved shape of the speed bag allows for a better rebound on the speedball frame. Part of the Probox supapar range that is manufactured using the finest leathers. Hard wearing speedbag that is suitable for use in professional and amateur boxing gym's and commercial fitness environments. Size 15.5 cm Dia. x 26.5cm high Approx.

Wonder how they compare to the white one available in the US...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...