• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pag3lee
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2010

speed bag platform

Hello,

I recently purchase a custom made 31'' 1.5'' thick speed bag platform, but without a wall mount. Any idea how to make one that can be adjustable?
    ________
    Buy Silversurfer Vaporizer
    ________
    Vapor cannon vaporizer
    Last edited by pag3lee; 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Wow, that is a big "drum" (rebound board). Do you mean you just got the board with NO mounting hardware?? You will have to make your own adjustable frame??

Welcome to the forum.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• pag3lee
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Wow, that is a big "drum" (rebound board). Do you mean you just got the board with NO mounting hardware?? You will have to make your own adjustable frame??

Welcome to the forum.
      Thank you for the welcome.

The custom board came with a pro swivel and a Lonsdale speed bag. The fellow who sold me the platform had it hanging in the ceiling with a steel pipe and flange, but since I'm going to mount it on the wall, I need the necessary hardware. Do you happen to know where I can buy just the mounting hardware, perhaps an adjustable one?

Thanks.
      ________
      HELENE ROTHER
      ________
      Problems From Paxil

Comment

• Griffin
        • Jan 2010

I would suggest going to a local fabricator -- a good one will be able to quickly put together something that is stronger and better made than anything you'll find through conventional retail channels, I should think.

Some good, minimalist designs have been discussed on the site, and I'd be happy to re-post mine if you're interested...

Good luck!

Comment

• pag3lee
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          I would suggest going to a local fabricator -- a good one will be able to quickly put together something that is stronger and better made than anything you'll find through conventional retail channels, I should think.

Some good, minimalist designs have been discussed on the site, and I'd be happy to re-post mine if you're interested...

Good luck!
          Please do, that will be very helpful.
          ________
          AIRSOFT SHOTGUNS
          ________
          Depakote Lawyer

Comment

• pag3lee
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2010

Here is the platform:

The speed bag that comes with it:

and the adjustable bracket that will go to the wall:

All I need is the hardware that mount the platform to the bracket. Like Griffin said, I may need to see a fabricator, or is it possible that I can make my own using woods?
            ________
            Honda cr-x del sol history
            ________
            Marijuana Vaporizer Reviews

Comment

• Clubber Lang
              • Mar 2010

Without physically handling the drum and support arms it is difficult to recommend exactly what would be best.

The pictures really do help though and on this basis I would think that getting some metal fabricated would be the best thing.

That is a really nice drum by the way

Comment

• Griffin
                • Jan 2010

Here's a link to a slideshow I made about my mounting brackets:

And a few photos of the platform. There are MANY things I love about this design, but one that has been mentioned many times here is worth repeating: allow for space directly ABOVE your swivel, so you can use bolts with wingnuts to mount your swivel -- you'll be glad you did. Another thing about this design is way the frame extends to the front 1/3 of the platform; with the downwards center brace, it is simply rock solid.... I can do pull-ups on it, and there is absolutely no vibration when using the bag. I'm surprised how few of these center braces I've seen...

I now have added some nice industrial knobs which make it easy to adjust, and I put a pulley at the top with a counterweight... works great!

Your platform looks good -- might even be a bit too big -- Tim suggested 30" max diameter to me... I'm in the process of making some 24" drums out of hardwood maple because I love the look...

Your brackets look nice -- how thick are they? How long? You might have your fabricator add some tabs on the sides for additional stability...

Hope this helps!
                Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Here's a link to a slideshow I made about my mounting brackets:

And a few photos of the platform. There are MANY things I love about this design, but one that has been mentioned many times here is worth repeating: allow for space directly ABOVE your swivel, so you can use bolts with wingnuts to mount your swivel -- you'll be glad you did. Another thing about this design is way the frame extends to the front 1/3 of the platform; with the downwards center brace, it is simply rock solid.... I can do pull-ups on it, and there is absolutely no vibration when using the bag. I'm surprised how few of these center braces I've seen...

I now have added some nice industrial knobs which make it easy to adjust, and I put a pulley at the top with a counterweight... works great!

Your platform looks good -- might even be a bit too big -- Tim suggested 30" max diameter to me... I'm in the process of making some 24" drums out of hardwood maple because I love the look...

Your brackets look nice -- how thick are they? How long? You might have your fabricator add some tabs on the sides for additional stability...

Hope this helps!
                  So, when you going into production? Your design is simply great!

Comment

• pag3lee
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2010

: allow for space directly ABOVE your swivel, so you can use bolts with wingnuts to mount your swivel
                    Hi Griffin,

The swivel is already mounted in the platform, so I don't know what you mean by having space above the swivel. Your platform looks awesome, wish mine looks like that
                    Your pictures and video really helps and gives me an idea. I have this frame (pictured) taken from a squat platform that I will use to bolt it against the platform. Now I will need something that will attach this frame to the adjustable bracket.
                    ________
                    FULL MELT BUBBLE HASH
                    ________
                    HEADSHOPS
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Griffin
                      • Jan 2010

Take it all (photos, bits and pieces) to a good fabricator/welder, and he'll get it done for you. I'd be surprised if it cost more than $75-100. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper in the long run to grab new metal stock than to shoehorn old bits and pieces into a new design... just food for thought. Don't be surprised if he suggests it. But some guys will follow directions, even if they know a better way to do it -- cowboy code: you're the boss, it's your money, and if you don't ask their opinion, they won't give it...

Lol... so be sure to ask him what he thinks.

Your swivel base looks to be screwed into the wood -- so, eventually it will loosen. The much-discussed fix here on the boards is to remove it, throw away the screws, drill THROUGH the platform, and bolt with wingnuts on the backside (top) of the platform. Here are some pics of mine.

I used a 1/4" drill, found brass machine screws with a tapered head (they fit perfectly into the swivel base), big brass wingnuts on top, with a fender washer and a lock washer... I can switch swivels in minutes, which is handy in this house because my wife prefers a U-hook.

Hope this helps...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• pag3lee
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2010

Griffin,

I'm thinking of building it myself. I have seen other's homemade platform in this forum and it gives me plenty of ideas. Now I just have to go to home depot to get the materials. Besides, the platform is close to finish. I'll update the progress and post some pictures.

You're right about my swivel base, will need to take care of that as well.
                        ________
                        Toyota Tf107 Specifications
                        ________
                        red head girl Cams

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Take it all (photos, bits and pieces) to a good fabricator/welder, and he'll get it done for you. I'd be surprised if it cost more than $75-100. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper in the long run to grab new metal stock than to shoehorn old bits and pieces into a new design... just food for thought. Don't be surprised if he suggests it. But some guys will follow directions, even if they know a better way to do it -- cowboy code: you're the boss, it's your money, and if you don't ask their opinion, they won't give it...

Lol... so be sure to ask him what he thinks.

Your swivel base looks to be screwed into the wood -- so, eventually it will loosen. The much-discussed fix here on the boards is to remove it, throw away the screws, drill THROUGH the platform, and bolt with wingnuts on the backside (top) of the platform. Here are some pics of mine.

I used a 1/4" drill, found brass machine screws with a tapered head (they fit perfectly into the swivel base), big brass wingnuts on top, with a fender washer and a lock washer... I can switch swivels in minutes, which is handy in this house because my wife prefers a U-hook.

Hope this helps...
                          Excellence personified! Very nice attachments and tutorial.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...