• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

Good deed for the day

First of all, I'm a newbie to the speedbagforum, thanks for the welcomes
    Wanted to let you know that getting involved on here has aready had some positive results: I put my board up at home 6 months ago and this week I've finally got round to putting a bag of sand on my platform. Hey, what a difference!

Second, I've been going to a boxing gym for a circuits class for a while and in fact there are 5 speed ball platforms there. The bad news is that one board has no ball, and the other 4 balls are flat and the swivel mounts are loose and slide backwards and forwards when you hit the ball. (OK I'm English!!)

So I never really used them and in two years have honestly never seen them used. Well, yesterday I went down there and took my pump and tools. A guy there took interest and so we fixed four of them up - ready for action. As a result of that, he asked what do you do on them (??!!) and after a little demo and recommendation to look on youtube, he went off motivated to give it a try. SPREAD THE WORD!!!
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
    First of all, I'm a newbie to the speedbagforum, thanks for the welcomes
    Wanted to let you know that getting involved on here has aready had some positive results: I put my board up at home 6 months ago and this week I've finally got round to putting a bag of sand on my platform. Hey, what a difference!
    I've not seen any platform yet that didn't benefit from some sand on top The only exception would be ceiling mounts.

Second, I've been going to a boxing gym for a circuits class for a while and in fact there are 5 speed ball platforms there. The bad news is that one board has no ball, and the other 4 balls are flat and the swivel mounts are loose and slide backwards and forwards when you hit the ball. (OK I'm English!!)
    If the screw holes are stripped out you can drill through the board and use bolts with nuts. I know these aren't your platforms , may want to check with the owner before you do that!

So I never really used them and in two years have honestly never seen them used. Well, yesterday I went down there and took my pump and tools. A guy there took interest and so we fixed four of them up - ready for action. As a result of that, he asked what do you do on them (??!!) and after a little demo and recommendation to look on youtube, he went off motivated to give it a try. SPREAD THE WORD!!!
    Great job - you are our kind of person! You're quite lucky to have a gym with 5 platforms - I've not seen a gym like that here in the states (other than Ruffo's gym, which had like 8 platforms I think).

Thanks for spreading the good word of the bag!

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
      Great story!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Great Story. It does not surprise me that the boards in that gym had fallen into disrepair. I've seen that numerous times. Speed bags (speed ball in Britain) are usually the least understood and most abused piece of equipment around because so few people in general really know how to use or care for them. Drilling the swivel holes all the way through the board and using bolts to hold the swivel is the single best fix for the biggest swivel problem, loose attachment. A sand bag overhead seems to be the single best fix to the problem of board rumble and vibration.

Good to hear your gym now has a knowledgeable and caring enthusiast to bring the bags to life. With a few accomplished users around, the speed bag can also become the most fascinating area. Prepare to have lots of gym members watch you work the bag.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have another female under the board.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Hello Mrs Mitts, welcome to the forum. It's always great to have a new member from the UK. I went to a gym years ago and they had a speed bag platform, I never seen anyone hit that thing. I had a few attempts myself, but couldn't hit it to save my life. If someone had shown me, I would have about 13 years of experience under my belt now, because once you've been shown the basics, that's it your addicted. The other thing in my experience, is us Brits just don't get what all the hype is about. People in my workplace ask me, 'why the speed bag'? I try explaining all the pro's but I still get funny looks........'you just have to hit it and try it out'! Like you though, I have shown people the basics. Them same people have purchased their own platforms.

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey Mrs. Mitts (love that name!), you may come to regret your decison to spread the word. The speed bag area may become a hotbed of activity, forcing you to wait to use the bags.

Just kidding, of course. It's great that you've resurrected a dying part of your gym. Thanks for exposing more folks to the fasciantion of the speed bag.

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

Great story Mrs Mitts!! any advice on bags in the UK just ask! (no not hand bags)

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Welcome to the forum! Great job job fixing up those bags and getting more folks interested.
                sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                  Great story Mrs Mitts!! any advice on bags in the UK just ask! (no not hand bags)
                  Mrs. Mitts, welcome also. Not long ago I was allowed to use a boxing gym free. They had two platforms with speed bags that seldom got used. Go figure.

Fingers and UK are experts and have the greatest variety of speed bags in all of Europe, so seek their sage advice on bags.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Feb 2010

I guess I am lucky to have those platforms available. They have definitely been neglected but no reason why it can't become a real useable area of the gym again. Am on a mission now!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                      HA HA HA
                      Don't have any hand bag issues but can see that acquiring speedbags might get a bit addictive. How come when I see pics of you guys with all your lovely neat line ups of alternative bags under the platform... I get a pang of envy???
                      Will be coming back for advice for sure, thanks
                      Last edited by Mrs Mitts; 03-06-2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2007

Welcome aboard!

Howz about a vid?
                        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Feb 2010

working on a little vid......

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...