X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

Leather Conditioner

What kind of leather conditioner are you guys using? My bags are cracking like crazy with the rapid ups and downs in tempature I have going on in my garage.
  • SpeedBagScissorhands
    Spin Master

• Aug 2008

sparky i dont think i would want to use a conditioner because i would think it could maybe interfere with the weight of the bag? i really dont know and never did that. it could be a good idea cause it works for a baseball glove. one thing ill never do is leave a bag in my car in the hot summer! i have one that expanded to like 2 times the normal size. totally ruined! i i always bring my bags inside- room temp!

Comment

• gvee127
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
      What kind of leather conditioner are you guys using? My bags are cracking like crazy with the rapid ups and downs in tempature I have going on in my garage.
      Hey Sparrky, as recommended by some of the members, I've started using the Lexol leather conditioner on my bags and it does keep the bag smooth and pliable, so that should reduce the cracking. I made the mistake with one of my bags, of leaving it in the garage day after day w/o using a conditioner, needless to say, it got pretty messed up! I keep 'em inside now.

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands
      ... i would think it could maybe interfere with the weight of the bag.
      I haven't noticed any negative effects, although if you have excess conditioner left on the bag, your hand will slide off when making contact.
      Last edited by gvee127; 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• sparrky37
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by gvee127 View Post
        Hey Sparrky, as recommended by some of the members, I've started using the Lexol leather conditioner on my bags and it does keep the bag smooth and pliable, so that should reduce the cracking. I made the mistake with one of my bags, of leaving it in the garage day after day w/o using a conditioner, needless to say, it got pretty messed up! I keep 'em inside now.

I haven't noticed any negative effects, although if you have excess conditioner left on the bag, your hand will slide off when making contact.
        Gotcha Thanks

Comment

• royalewifcheese
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by gvee127 View Post

when treating the bag apply with conditioner evenly and let it sit over night. it will dry and you'll have good protection.

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

I always use a leather food!! also conditioner made for leather furniture seems to help!

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Never gave it thought myself because I can't find any cracking. Maybe it is because I live down south in more mild climate and my platforms are in my climate controlled house. Or maybe, I'm just living right.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by royalewifcheese View Post
                when treating the bag apply with conditioner evenly and let it sit over night. it will dry and you'll have good protection.

Nailed it. Humans moisturize their skin, and bags need it also. Perhaps the new synthetic leather bags don't need it, but the natural animal skins (roo and cowhide) definitely seemed to hold up better with a bit of conditioning at least every other week,especially under periods of high use.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
                  • Jan 2010

Thanks again everyone! goin to get some tommorow. brought the bags inside for now.

Comment

• Speedbagskater
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Feb 2010

I keep my bags indoor and they have still managed to crack, mostly the 6x9 yellow and black everlast ones, I've had 2 of the go to pieces on me in a matter of weeks, the everlast 8x5 red and blue ones seem to take a lickin and keep on tickin though..

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                      • Dec 2009

I've had good luck working a good coat of mink oil into the leather and seams of my bags. I let it sit for a while and then wipe off all the excess.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post
                        I've had good luck working a good coat of mink oil into the leather and seams of my bags. I let it sit for a while and then wipe off all the excess.
                        ....and your bags love you for it, too. At least the leather does, but I suspect it makes the bladders jealous.
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 02-17-2010, 09:05 PM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          ....and you bags love you for it, too. At least the leather does, but I suspect it makes the bladders jealous.
                          I use DETROL to keep my bladders happy.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                            Detrol?,

Wow, I never thought of that! Makes perfect sense now that I think about it....

(Good one, Biff. You had me spitting coffee on that one...)
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              ....and you bags love you for it, too. At least the leather does, but I suspect it makes the bladders jealous.
                              Ya...all my bags are in good condition except my everlast 6x4...that bag cracked the first time it was used but hasn't got worse since I put mink oil on it regularly

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                              You had my head scratching with Detrol...I thought it was another version on that Slime stuff you but in tires and stuff to prevent leaks.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...