• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zz18
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2010

Speed bag or heavy bag?

Hey all i'm new to all the bags and such, but I want to get some kind of bag just to help incorporate into working out. So I was wondering if there is a type that I should buy first, such as double end speed bag, speed bag, or heavy bag, or if it really matters which I choose.

Please and thanks for your help.
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by zz18 View Post
    Hey all i'm new to all the bags and such, but I want to get some kind of bag just to help incorporate into working out. So I was wondering if there is a type that I should buy first, such as double end speed bag, speed bag, or heavy bag, or if it really matters which I choose.

Personally, the double end bag would be my last choice. If your primary concern is working out, then I would go with the heavy bag. Try one of the water bags from Title. If you can afford one of the top-of-the-line sand-filled bags, then that would be good too. Heavy bags can give you an awesome workout in a small amount of time.

Comment

• SpeedKilz
      • Dec 2009

I would second the heavy bag choice. Check out the Title websites (Boxing & MMA). BIG sale starting up today that would benefit you greatly if you are in the market for any type of bag.

Comment

• sparrky37
        • Jan 2010

I started boxn 13 years ago. I built up A bag at a time I love all bags. The best workout your gonna get is from a Jump Rope. That is the cheapest way to get started. If you can get a heavy bag and combine jump rope into the workout thats gonna get you started in the right direction. "Get wrist wraps" and learn how top use them. Nothin worst than bucklin and straining your wrist.Also get a timer and workout 3min rounds w/ 1min rest and see how many rounds you can build up to. At the top of my game 11-12 years "ago". I was up to 16 rounds, takn turns on speedbag,heavybag,double end bag, and jump rope.

Good Luck! Welcome to the forum look forward to hear bout your progress.

Comment

• Crapsterface
          • Nov 2009

what do you want to work on ? fighting skills or keeping in shape ? I dont hit heavy bags because my bones in my wrist jam together. and I dont want to train light lol. I hav nowhre to set up my double ends now but i use to hit the speedbag for a while then right away turn around to the double end, then speedbag... throw in som pushups, then back to one of the bags and just keep doing that. I say hit them all decide what u like best or whats the funnest for you and get that one. then you will want to hit it more.
          Last edited by Crapsterface; 02-10-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

Originally posted by zz18 View Post

Welcome zz18!! the heavy bag gives a great full body workout i still use mine age 51 and ache like mad the next day(a good sign you have worked hard) sample vid- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni_w-KJxe8 I find the speed bag works the shoulders mostly and use weights in-between rounds on the speed bag! but whichever you choose they are all fun and help keep you in shape.

Comment

• zz18
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2010

ok thank you guys alot for the advice, ill look into the heavy bags. Your help is very much appreciated!

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

After going to that boxing gym and hitting a variety of heavy bags, some were too light and soft, some were wrist breakers and some were to my liking. So if you go with a heavy bag, put some study into it first. See here:

Get some good bag gloves too.

Comment

• Crapsterface
                  • Nov 2009

well spoken atgat.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...