• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Us army special services bag

Here's an interesting old bag from Rawlings,,,

Interesting metal loop attachment, and that nut isn't coming off, it's castellated. Metal eyelets for the laces. Quality! Seller says it's 17" long, measured from the leather loop to the bottom.

Strictly old school, bet this bag smelled great when new, bet it has stories to tell. If only bags could talk,,,
    Last edited by paranday; 01-27-2010, 10:20 PM. Reason: added seller's comments about length
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

From my discussions with Veterans from that era,apparently each branch of the Armed Services had their own specifications for such equipment. I've seen several examples of Navy striking bags,(many more than the Army version here). They are pear shaped and large , 17-18" long with a 12 to 14" belly, and all made of tan colored leather. All stamped USN and then the makers name on them.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      From my discussions with Veterans from that era,apparently each branch of the Armed Services had their own specifications for such equipment. I've seen several examples of Navy striking bags,(many more than the Army version here). They are pear shaped and large , 17-18" long with a 12 to 14" belly, and all made of tan colored leather. All stamped USN and then the makers name on them.
      Is that metal attachment to the loop something common, something you've seen before?
      Last edited by paranday; 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Yes. I've seen it before. It allowed it to be used in gyms that had swivels, or outdoor installations where the swivel was a screw eye hook. I've seen pics taken at front line camps during WWII where a rudimentary platform was set up from scrap wood and using this kind of "swivel". You could use a bag that didn't have the loop attachment, but the leather loop would wear through in short order considering the use (and abuse) that those bags got.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          Here's an interesting old bag from Rawlings,,,

Interesting metal loop attachment, and that nut isn't coming off, it's castellated. Metal eyelets for the laces. Quality! Seller says it's 17" long, measured from the leather loop to the bottom.

Strictly old school, bet this bag smelled great when new, bet it has stories to tell. If only bags could talk,,,
          I have NEVER hit a bag with a metal eye attachment like that, and don't think I've ever really seen one hung on a board either.

...bet it has stories to tell. If only bags could talk,,,
          They do, we just don't completely understand their language. Like seals, dolfins and elephants, I really believe bags can talk. I have often gone into my speed bag room and seen them huddled together when I know I had separated them the night before. Sometimes I think I hear careless whispers from them, and have document such on this page at the bottom.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            ...Like seals, dolfins and elephants, I really believe bags can talk. I have often gone into my speed bag room and seen them huddled together when I know I had separated them the night before. Sometimes I think I hear careless whispers from them, and have document such on this page at the bottom.
            That page tells me that you're a nut. (in the best way)

Looking at your story boards, I think Pixar would be so wrong not to make an animated speed bag movie.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              They do, we just don't completely understand their language. Like seals, dolfins and elephants, I really believe bags can talk. I have often gone into my speed bag room and seen them huddled together when I know I had separated them the night before. Sometimes I think I hear careless whispers from them, and have document such on this page at the bottom.
              Great bag humor, However I take issue with this one.

There's nothing sadder than an unused speed bag, I'd like to think the unhappy speed bag would be one that doesn't get used.

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

That page tells me that you're a nut. (in the best way)
                Amen to that brother

Here's a classic. This man is SERIOUS about the speed bag, no really, he's SERIOUS.

Tichy is an up and coming nut as well. I recently witnessed him divert a conversation in a bar into a 30 minute diatribe on the intricacies of speed bag striking... and the guy on the receiving end was really into it. The iPhone was out and videos were playing, he was thoroughly impressed and needless to say, had never seen the bag used in that fashion.

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

Speedbag; "I have NEVER hit a bag with a metal eye attachment like that, and don't think I've ever really seen one hung on a board either. "

In all honesty neither have I. I have seen one in person, it had seen it's last day of use quite some time ago.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    ...I have seen one in person, it had seen it's last day of use quite some time ago.
                    The Ebay bag doesn't look like it can be revived either. But if you were to find one with the leather still in good enough condition, what would you use for a bladder? Would the Title big blue bag's bladder work? (Assuming you could punch a hole in the bottom of the old school bag.)

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

It might, but I'd be more inclined to order one of the large bladders from Genesport in Quebec. They carry a line of large old school style striking bags.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Amen to that brother

Here's a classic. This man is SERIOUS about the speed bag, no really, he's SERIOUS.

Tichy is an up and coming nut as well. I recently witnessed him divert a conversation in a bar into a 30 minute diatribe on the intricacies of speed bag striking... and the guy on the receiving end was really into it. The iPhone was out and videos were playing, he was thoroughly impressed and needless to say, had never seen the bag used in that fashion.
                        Don't Drink and hit the speed bag
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...