Amazon.com Everlast metal swivel -- NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griffin
    • Jan 2010

Amazon.com Everlast metal swivel -- NOT!

Please forgive me if this topic has come up before...

Just a heads-up to anyone looking to pick up the classic metal swivel pictured on the Amazon.com website -- it is NOT the metal swivel. You will receive the plastic swivel. At least, I did...

I called customer service and suggested they change the photo, but the process sounds tedious and iffy...

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-4440-...3852004&sr=1-2
  • royalewifcheese
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Please forgive me if this topic has come up before...

Just a heads-up to anyone looking to pick up the classic metal swivel pictured on the Amazon.com website -- it is NOT the metal swivel. You will receive the plastic swivel. At least, I did...

I called customer service and suggested they change the photo, but the process sounds tedious and iffy...

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-4440-...3852004&sr=1-2

i saw that as well plus it's two tone.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Yeah you're not the first one. Apparently Amazon doesn't know what the term "bait and switch" means. Seriously, somebody there doesn't know or care about the difference. They could put in a disclaimer in the text , a lot easier than changing the whole page. But, a swivel is a swivel, right?

Comment

• Griffin
        • Jan 2010

Well, I kept the base rather than send it back -- then saw Alan's suggestion to put the Watkins ball and hook into the plastic base... voilá! Super fast, smooth, and QUIET swivel.

So it all worked out for the best in the end.

But the customer service reps at Amazon (called twice) were truly clueless about how to get the correct photo inserted on the page.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Guys - someone should submit a customer review and indicate that this is definitely the plastic swivel and not the metal... that would probably help a lot of future buyers as well. Also you'll notice the one review there mentions the eye hook coming out, which we all know is easily fixed with superglue. Probably worth mentioning that as well.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Well, I kept the base rather than send it back -- then saw Alan's suggestion to put the Watkins ball and hook into the plastic base... voilá! Super fast, smooth, and QUIET swivel.

But the customer service reps at Amazon (called twice) were truly clueless about how to get the correct photo inserted on the page.
            I bought a few of these swivels a couple of years ago, got plastic balls and sent them back. I also emailed them about the false advertising, or bait-and-switch on the products. Obviously it never got changed.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I think this makes the best ballhook out there.....

I kinda miss the "old" metal ballhook housing, that made a bit lower chank sound than the later metal models. Different grades of metal I suspect, but the metal ball inside the plastic housing has all the benefitis of trouble free rebounding and virtually NO swivel noise.

I wish I had this metal ball in a plastic housing when recording speed bag rhythms in the Blueman Group recording studio in November, 2001. I was told one reason they could not use the bag beats I recorded to "Time To Start" is the metal swivel noise was too distracting.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Griffin
                • Jan 2010

I have much more limited experience than many here, but after using the Watkins metal swivel, then switching to the metal ball in the plastic base -- I really like it. And as you mention, Alan -- the sound is pleasing. Kind of a lower-toned "thunking" sound, as opposed to the clanking of the all metal swivel.

And I'm pretty sure the plastic base with lithium grease and metal ball provides a "slick as snot", friction-free design. It's awesome -- if you haven't tried it's FAST.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I have much more limited experience than many here, but after using the Watkins metal swivel, then switching to the metal ball in the plastic base -- I really like it. And as you mention, Alan -- the sound is pleasing. Kind of a lower-toned "thunking" sound, as opposed to the clanking of the all metal swivel.

And I'm pretty sure the plastic base with lithium grease and metal ball provides a "slick as snot", friction-free design. It's awesome -- if you haven't tried it's FAST.
                  I've never greased mine. Maybe I should try that.....
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Griffin
                    • Jan 2010

For those that haven't tried it, white lithium grease is amazing stuff...you can get it in a spray can (don't recommend) or a little container as "ball hitch grease"...

It's thinner than a lot of heavier greases, so perfect for this application. Let me know if you notice a difference, Alan...

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      I've never greased mine. Maybe I should try that.....
                      I use chassis grease (because I have a big giant can of it). makes a mess on the bags, but makes a noticeable difference in smoothness.

Comment

• Griffin
                        • Jan 2010

Hey Tim, clean 'em up and give the lithium grease a go... won't drip on your bags, and it's lighter than chassis grease...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...