X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Forum Rules Side punches.

Fellow Baggin' Confidants, I've been baggin' for about 2 months now. Everything's been coming together (reverse punches, fist rolls, elbow strikes etc.), I haven't worked too much on side punches until now. I just had knee surgery Wed. but only missed that day of baggin'.
    Anyway, has anyone else had difficulty with timing the "side punch?"
    Getting consistancy is difficult with this technique. I haven't figured out how to post a video yet. Any Suggetions?
    Thanks Fellas.
    Last edited by TJ_MaTee; 01-16-2010, 05:24 PM. Reason: to reword sentence.
    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

With your vids, put them on youtube 1st. Tim gives a very good tutorial on posting videos to the forum in the pictures and video section at the top of the page, 'Embed YouTube video into a post'.

Follow that and you can't go wrong.

Look forward to checkin out your vid.

What seems to be the problem with your side punching, where do you feel the difficulty lay?
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hi Roc, It's strictly with the timing (punching after the first bounce and consistantly hitting it, to get the right rebound). But since I posted this, it seems to be coming along.
      It's just gonna take practice. This technique (side punch) didn't come as fast as everything I've tried so far since baggin'. Just wondered if anyone else had any difficulty when first learning the side punches.
      Thanks my man!
      T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
        Fellow Baggin' Confidants, I've been baggin' for about 2 months now. Everything's been coming together (reverse punches, fist rolls, elbow strikes etc.), I haven't worked too much on side punches until now. I just had knee surgery Wed. but only missed that day of baggin'.
        Getting consistancy is difficult with this technique. I haven't figured out how to post a video yet. Any Suggetions?
        Thanks Fellas.
        There are Six techniques that use the side of the bag [Side Single Punch (SSP), Side Double Punch (SDP), Side Triple Elbow Strike (S-TES) and Hook Punch (HP), Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP), and Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP)]. With the exception of the Hook, they all use a Side Single Punch as the "side" contact. The Side Single Punch (SSP) is the same motion as a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) except the contact point is a bit more on the side panel of the bag (reverse-side panel usually). The key to learning this is do Reverse Single Punching and move the elbow of that a little further back toward the shoulder instead for extended forward. If you move your swinging arm elbow back a bit your fist contact will automatically move to the side of the bag and you don't need to change your fist swinging motion.

the "art" of using the side techniques is learning how they mix with the different techniques from different sides of the bag. On five of the Six side techniques the last contact point will be the Side Single Punch fist, and that fist can do to the back (reverse area) on three rebounds or come to the front (almost always a Front Circle Punch (FCP) on two rebounds. If you repetively hit from the "same side", it will require three rebounds inbetween (odd number from the same side = Rule of Rhythm #1.

It takes a while for most people to get proficient with the side techniques and learn the subtle differences between the SSP and RSP. they can often be used interchangeably.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hi Alan,
          First, let me thank you for taking the time to reply to my question(s).
          I'm beginning to get the hang of it, I was getting frustrated because it wasn't coming
          to me as fast as most of the other techniques. I've been practicing and it seems to be
          coming around. I've been watching your dvd and some of Roc's and Deano's vids. You all seem to be quite proficient with the "side" techniques.
          Anyway, Thanks again! I've got plenty to work on!
          "Live to Bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
          T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Alan replies to all things put to him, and even some things that are not.

So's...TJ. How about that vid?
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Good for you! Hope all went well with the surgery ... having gone under the knife for a torn labrum (shoulder) I know surgery (and rehab) is not much fun.

It will feel very un-natural to start. Keep practicing. I've been side punching for close to 2.5 years now and my front punch and reverse punch are still stronger and more precise than my side punch.

Thanks Fellas.
              What kind of video recording device do you have? Let me know and I'll try to give you some pointers. In a nutshell, the process is to take the video, upload to your computer (via USB cable or whatever connection your device uses), then upload it to youtube.com (you'll have to register for an account, etc.) Then you can simply post a link to the youtube URL or embed it in the post.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hi Tim, I apologize for not replying to your post until now, however, thanks for your input about the "side" techniques, since I made that post, I've gotten much better with my side double punches. Lately I'm trying to perfect my downward triple elbow strikes.
                Getting my elbows to come straight down to contact the middle of the bag getting a "straight" rebound for the fist, seems to be a challange for me. It's just going to take some practice. I think it's an awkward position for my shoulder and since it's somewhat off to the side (compared to the other techniques).
                Anyway, I'll get to posting a vid. Seems there's never enough hours in a day!
                Most of what time I "do" have, I try to put into learning all this stuff. (And there's plenty
                to keep me busy!). Thanks again Tim.
                T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hi Tim, I apologize for not replying to your post until now, however, thanks for your input about the "side" techniques, since I made that post, I've gotten much better with my side double punches. Lately I'm trying to perfect my downward triple elbow strikes.
                  Getting my elbows to come straight down to contact the middle of the bag getting a "straight" rebound for the fist, seems to be a challange for me. It's just going to take some practice. I think it's an awkward position for my shoulder and since it's somewhat off to the side (compared to the other techniques).
                  Anyway, I'll get to posting a vid. Seems there's never enough hours in a day!
                  Most of what time I "do" have, I try to put into learning all this stuff. (And there's plenty
                  to keep me busy!). Thanks again Tim.
                  You are welcome TJ. Downward elbows felt very un-natural for me in the beginning as well, but now are like second nature. You've hit the nail on the head - it just takes practice.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...