• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gillundr
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2010

Speed Bag Advice please

Hey everybody. I'm brand new here. I don't even have a speed bag up yet. That's why I was checking this forum out. I was hoping to get some advice. I have always wanted to try and learn to use a speed bag and it looks like great fun. I play guitar and feel like I have some rhythm but I know it's going to be different.
    Anyways I was hoping that some of you guys that have "been there" and "done that" could help me out. I looked around at different things to buy on amazon and there is a ton of stuff. From kits that have it all to buying piece at a time. What is the best way to go about setting up? Should I buy a platform or build one? If building one is the best bet, how big should it be and out of what thickness of wood and type. What would be the best bag and swivel to buy? My Dad got me an amazon gift card for Christmas so will probably order through there. I see some people wearing gloves, some wraps, some bare hands. What is best? Should I just go for the all in one kits by Everlast? I was looking at the Everlast Elite board for about $100 and read it's supposed to be a good board. Is that the best route? Does it matter? Am I thinking too much into this being a noob? I would just hate to spend a bunch of money then find out I need something different or what I got was junk and needed to be replaced. I know it probably is like most other things and a bit of personal preference, but can anybody help me on the right path to getting started please?
    Thank you very much.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by gillundr View Post
    Hey everybody. I'm brand new here. I don't even have a speed bag up yet. That's why I was checking this forum out. I was hoping to get some advice. I have always wanted to try and learn to use a speed bag and it looks like great fun. I play guitar and feel like I have some rhythm but I know it's going to be different.
    Anyways I was hoping that some of you guys that have "been there" and "done that" could help me out. I looked around at different things to buy on amazon and there is a ton of stuff. From kits that have it all to buying piece at a time. What is the best way to go about setting up? Should I buy a platform or build one? If building one is the best bet, how big should it be and out of what thickness of wood and type. What would be the best bag and swivel to buy? My Dad got me an amazon gift card for Christmas so will probably order through there. I see some people wearing gloves, some wraps, some bare hands. What is best? Should I just go for the all in one kits by Everlast? I was looking at the Everlast Elite board for about $100 and read it's supposed to be a good board. Is that the best route? Does it matter? Am I thinking too much into this being a noob? I would just hate to spend a bunch of money then find out I need something different or what I got was junk and needed to be replaced. I know it probably is like most other things and a bit of personal preference, but can anybody help me on the right path to getting started please? Thank you very much.
    HI Gillundr

So much to know, so little time.....

I bolded your phrase because as a beginner it's fun to be so energized and we oldsters smile and remember the feeling, (even if it was 35 years before...). Beginners want THE best or THE most popular or the brand the Best guys/gals are using. Underneath all of that what you really needed is a reliable, quality made wall unit that has proven stability, that can be hung on a good available wall space. There are lots to chose from at all price ranges. You DON"T need to spend a lot to get a quality board, and many of us will tell you that The Everlast Elite adjustable will work just fine. It's a great setup for a super price. I put the link to amazon since you mentioned you have a gift certificate for that location. Put that on a solid wall with a 20-30 pound bag of sand on top an your good to go

For a swivel, that board may come with one, but if you want another decent swivel you can get Watkins ballhook (3rd one down) or Title Delux Pro swivel U-bolt style. Swivels are probably the most sensitive piece to personal preference and other members will recommend other swivels. In the end, for a beginner, it will not make that much difference as long as it is functional and has good action. With a little experience on the bag and different swivels you will probably find a favorite style as most of us have. There are some awesome baggers out there smokin' speed bags from all around on all types of swivels, so don't get hung up on any one being THE best.

For a bag, that is the second most personal preference but the only way to make a choice on that is to have hit several and see and feel the difference. Right now a decent 9x6 or 10x7 will work fine. The three main differences in bags are (1) the "shape" they come in (teardrop or round vs bananna or long & lean), (2) Outer leather material or Synthetic, and (3) the type of bladder, plastic or rubber. These three facets come in various mix and matches and Fans of each will favor one or the other. At your level it won't make a difference since you probably have nothing to compare the action of one to the other. They do feel and react differently but it should not matter for you right now. ANY quality bag will work. with time and practice, and trying a few more over time you will soon know the difference but you really can over analyze it all pretty quickly, especially in here with many passionate fans of each. And if that isn't hard enough, the swivel can actually effect the feel and action of the bag. Read the past posts topics on all this and you will find some tremendous insight on equipment - but for your initial jump into the world of speed baggin', just get the best board, swivel and bag you can afford, get it hung and start punching.

Making your own is a great labor of love for those dedicated and skilled enough to do that, but that will take some time to do and you'll get punching much faster to get a wall unit that can be hung quickly. As you learn a few techniques and combinations you can layout and plan your home made "board of dreams". By the way, we have some members that have made some amazing home units and they will be a world of help to the do-it-yourselfer.

Good luck and welcome.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-11-2010, 10:00 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
      • Jun 2009

I must agree with Alan the everlast elite is an AWESOME board, I bagged on it a few time and it is really really solid. I myself made my own but I think that for someone just starting out there is nothing better than the everlast elite...period. As for bags, its just your own preference, once you get used to bagging you'll find your own favorites. Now swivels on the other hand, there are all kinds of varieties that each have their own distinctive traits. My favorite is the everlast ball hook swivel, but check out speed bag skunks recent post "skunky swivel" I believe, I'm about to try making one of those myself (I'm pretty pumped) Good luck to you man and keep posting!!!!

Comment

• gillundr
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2010

Well, I ordered the platform and it came rather quickly! I hung it up the first time was too low lol and had to move it up about 10 inches. I thought it had more adjustment in it than it does. Anyways I got it mounted and put a 50lb bag of sand on it. Went out to a local sports shop and bought a large speed bag. I was told to start with the large one then once I could hit it consistently to move to a smaller, faster bag. I thought if I started on a smaller bag I would be better but I listened to the guy at the sports shop and went with the big one lol. It's only around $20 so I can get a new one whenever. They platform came with a basic swivel but I also bought a Everlast professional swivel. It looks like it has a motorcycle chain link on it. I haven't put on the better swivel yet. I decided to try the one that came with the board for a while and then switch to the other one and see which is better.
        Hitting the bag.
        I had to run out last night and get a pump to pump up the bag with but once it was pumped and hung up I hit the bag or should I say "tried" to hit the bag. OUCH it's a lot harder than I thought for sure need to practice. I can sort of keep it going for a few hits but ultimately end up with hitting the bag on a side and send it spinning circles around the board lol. My wife even tried after watching me. She is actually better than me I think. haha. Figures. It's fun and I work from home so have been wanting to go out there and hit it but need to stay focused on work until tonight when I can try again. Hoping tonight will go better and I will be able to get some sort of steady rhythm and keep it going more than 3 or 4 hits in a row lol. I think I just need to practice and it will get better. Great fun though and I can say I am a little sore this morning.
        Any body have any good noobie tips for me??

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by gillundr View Post
          I had to run out last night and get a pump to pump up the bag with but once it was pumped and hung up I hit the bag or should I say "tried" to hit the bag. OUCH it's a lot harder than I thought for sure need to practice. I can sort of keep it going for a few hits but ultimately end up with hitting the bag on a side and send it spinning circles around the board lol.
          Don't sweat it ... we all started in the same situation.

Any body have any good noobie tips for me??
          Tip #1 Practice, practice, practice - there is no substitute for time under the board

Tip #2 Get the Speed Bag Bible - book or DVD. Read all the content on http://www.speedbagcentral.com also

Tip #3 Find a way to post video of your technique on Youtube. We'll critique it and tell you how to get better.

Keep us posted

Comment

• dax_q
            • Jan 2008

Welcome to the board. My advice is, you just gotta take your lumps. I have hit with multiple swivels, boards and bags. As you improve your skills, you will find ways to improve your setup. It is trial and error until you find your style and what you like. Getting there is most of the fun anyway.
            -Dax

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...