• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griffin
    • Jan 2010

Introducing Myself

Hello Everyone,

After lurking for a few weeks and gleaning some terrific information from the archives, I've decided to join the forum. I'm very happy to be here, and already owe you all a debt of thanks for the outstanding information on this forum.

A little about myself: I've been hitting the bag for less than two months, but I'm completely addicted! I've been fairly athletic and musical all my life, but this really combines the two -- it has already helped heal a minor shoulder injury, reinvigorated my basketball game by strengthening my upper body, and it's just SO MUCH DAMN FUN! Feels like upside down drumming...

My local gym has a pretty decent adjustable platform, but I quickly realized I'd have more satisfaction if I bought my own bag and U-hook -- their bag is usually shredded, and the swivel and U-hook suffers a lot of abuse as well. When I started researching swivels I found this site, Alan's site, and the SpeedbagSkunk on YouTube... then I was REALLY hooked on the possibilities of speedbagging as a lifelong addition to my workout routine.

In just the short time that I've been hitting the bag, I've already recruited eight more people to speedbagging -- guys I shoot hoops with, a couple older guys at the gym who used to hit when they were younger, and my wife. I'll post a video shortly of both of us so you all can offer some tips and critiques...

Next up: I just bought a custom made platform on craigslist, and I'm preparing to mount it. I've got a cinder block wall in my home office, so it's going to be solid. The frame is VERY well made, and I'm modifying the design to make the unit adjustable. I'll post pics of the whole project as it progresses; the modification that makes it adjustable is a simple design, and something that would work for many of you that do not currently own adjustable platforms but WANT one...stay tuned.

My question: I'm 6'1", my wife is 5'10" -- how much adjustment would you recommend that I build into the unit? I'm thinking it should slide at least a foot... is that enough? (I'm thinking from the smallest bag at her height, to the smallest bag at my height....) Maybe a bit more?

(By the way, what is the IDEAL hitting height? I searched the forums, and thought I read belly of the bag=bottom of chin.... is that correct?)

OK, that's enough for now. I'm glad to be here. I can't wait to learn and share with all of you!

Griffin
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Hello Everyone,

After lurking for a few weeks and gleaning some terrific information from the archives, I've decided to join the forum. I'm very happy to be here, and already owe you all a debt of thanks for the outstanding information on this forum.

A little about myself: I've been hitting the bag for less than two months, but I'm completely addicted! I've been fairly athletic and musical all my life, but this really combines the two -- it has already helped heal a minor shoulder injury, reinvigorated my basketball game by strengthening my upper body, and it's just SO MUCH DAMN FUN! Feels like upside down drumming...

My local gym has a pretty decent adjustable platform, but I quickly realized I'd have more satisfaction if I bought my own bag and U-hook -- their bag is usually shredded, and the swivel and U-hook suffers a lot of abuse as well. When I started researching swivels I found this site, Alan's site, and the SpeedbagSkunk on YouTube... then I was REALLY hooked on the possibilities of speedbagging as a lifelong addition to my workout routine.

In just the short time that I've been hitting the bag, I've already recruited eight more people to speedbagging -- guys I shoot hoops with, a couple older guys at the gym who used to hit when they were younger, and my wife. I'll post a video shortly of both of us so you all can offer some tips and critiques...

Next up: I just bought a custom made platform on craigslist, and I'm preparing to mount it. I've got a cinder block wall in my home office, so it's going to be solid. The frame is VERY well made, and I'm modifying the design to make the unit adjustable. I'll post pics of the whole project as it progresses; the modification that makes it adjustable is a simple design, and something that would work for many of you that do not currently own adjustable platforms but WANT one...stay tuned.

My question: I'm 6'1", my wife is 5'10" -- how much adjustment would you recommend that I build into the unit? I'm thinking it should slide at least a foot... is that enough? (I'm thinking from the smallest bag at her height, to the smallest bag at my height....) Maybe a bit more?

(By the way, what is the IDEAL hitting height? I searched the forums, and thought I read belly of the bag=bottom of chin.... is that correct?)

OK, that's enough for now. I'm glad to be here. I can't wait to learn and share with all of you!

Griffin
    Hi Griffin and welcome to the forum.

As for the "IDEAL" bag height of the bag belly being at nose-chin livel, that is corrrect, but that is only MY opinion base on years of punching "from all around the bag" and linking the fists through to all sides. I have found that to be the optimal height to allow the fists to pass through the easiest. Some people like the bag up higher for various reasons they believe are probably best for them (ie..most boxing gyms will have boxers punching a speed bag at forehead or higher level) and they may say it is best to learn to keep the hands up or believe it is a better shoulder workout. I've had some pretty well known boxing coaches tell me they like a higher level than I promote. You can link to all side with the bag belly higher but not nearly as easily and you have to change your swinging planes. Not a good idea for beginner. Most of the advanced baggers can certainly link all around with a higher bag setting but it is a lot harder to learn with the bag too high (ie..belly at forehead level.).

Hope it helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Griffin
      • Jan 2010

Thanks, Alan --

Great advice -- It certainly sounds as though an adjustment range of about 14-16 inches would be more than sufficient, and allow for the full scope of big/small bags, chin/forehead hanging height, and our height differential of 3-4"... would you agree? We don't have any kids, it's just the two of us that will use this platform. (BTW, I've seen yours, and I think the counterweight is a terrific way to make the platform ultra user-friendly.)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Welcome to the forums!

Agreed Time flies under the board

Great job, we appreciate your effort to spread the love for the bag

That should be fine.

Yes, chin or mouth level. That works best for "bible style" hitting which includes linking to the other sides of the bag.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hello Everyone,

A little about myself: I've been hitting the bag for less than two months, but I'm completely addicted...

...In just the short time that I've been hitting the bag, I've already recruited eight more people to speedbagging -- guys I shoot hoops with, a couple older guys at the gym who used to hit when they were younger, and my wife. I'll post a video shortly of both of us so you all can offer some tips and critiques...
          Welcome, Griffin! I too, was a "guest viewer" for a while on the forum. After working out on the bag for 2 months, I joined last October – thanks to Biff's encouragement. Yes, there's definitely something about this sport that makes it extremely addictive. But, it's a good addiction. "Hello, my name is Dee, and I am a speed bag addict."

I look forward to your contributions to the forum and I can't wait t see how your platform turns out.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Howdy. Welcome aboard

Just off the top of my head;

If you set the drum height at your level using a 8x5 or a 6x4 size bag and when your wife wanted to use it she got on with say 7x10 or an 8x11 size bag then platform adjustment wouldn't be required and shouldn't be too much of an issue between the two of you.

I agree that an adjustable platform is better all round but the adjusting and re-adjusting of the platform between you both can take its toll, partiularly if you're just going out for quick hits at a time rather than doing hour/s long sessions.

While your wife would benefit from learning on a bigger bag, you should be able to use either size bag(big or small).

This may just save a few hassels.
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• ukspeedbag
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Welcome Griffin!
                I too am a drummer as well as a bag obsessed freak!
                I love the sound of the bag, the swiv, the metal ball hook, etc...
                I love the advanced techniques and I've made many good friends here at the forum and just because of the love of bag.....

Keep going and keep steady...keep it locked up and watched how badass Alan Kahn is!

BAG ON!
                Here's a little odd rhythm for ya....

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

Welcome to the speedbag brotherhood!!

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

And so it happens yet again - Another person succumbs to the wiles of the speedbag. Welcome to the club.

Hey Griffin, nice to have you aboard.

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                      Spin Master

• Aug 2008

pleasure to meet you pal! you will come across alot of cool baggers here. good to have you. speed bag scissorhands

Comment

• sparrky37
                        • Jan 2010

Welcome also I just joined yesterday. Look forward to getting to know everyone.

And becoming as (almost) as good as the greats

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...