• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce
    • Dec 2009

Help mounting 16" brackets

Hello, all.

I recently received, for Christmas, an "Everlast Platform Speed Bag 6-pc. Set" (http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Platf.../dp/B000E8XVVS) which is intended to be mounted on 16" center studs. However, looking at my garrage, it appears I have 24" center studs. There's no wall, dry wall or otherwise, covering the studs. There are three 1/2 inch diameter holes on bracket, itself.

I've searched the forum, and it looks like I'll need to construct a wooden frame to accomodate the 24" spacing. I planned to mount three horizontal wooden boards to the studs (similiar to the picture). The three pieces of wood I have available are 1x8x6 (not quite long enough to span 3 studs). In addition, I have six (6) hex lag screws in which to mount the wooden frame to the studs.

My questions are as follows:

1) Once the wooden frame is mounted on the studs, where on the wooden frame, should I place the bracket? Should I center it on the wooden frame, or have one side mounted through the wooden frame and into the stud?

2) What type of screw should I use to secure the brackets to the frame? The directions called the hex lag screws (1/2 x 1 3/4) going directly into the studs. Will the 1 inch thick boards provide enough support? (Drum, Brackets, bag, swivel, weigh in at roughly 20 lbs).

This is my first speed bag, and I'm anxious to use it. Thanks, in advance, for any input and/or advice you can provide.
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

The more wall studs you attach to with you frame the more support you will get.

If it were me attaching the speed bag brackets to the frame I would center the SB bracket so's the wall stud was/is in the middle of the brackets. Once the frame is up you should only need to secure SB platform to the frame.

Hope this helps
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Bruce
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
      The more wall studs you attach to with you frame the more support you will get.

If it were me attaching the speed bag brackets to the frame I would center the SB bracket so's the wall stud was/is in the middle of the brackets. Once the frame is up you should only need to secure SB platform to the frame.

Hope this helps
      Thanks for your quick response... Looks like I'll need to acquire some longer length boards.

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Bruce, welcome to the forum. Since your garage's walls are wide open, why not buy 1 - 2x4 the needed length, vertically position it 16" on center from one of the existing studs and toe-nail it in to the exisitng framework. Then you could mount your platform on the existing stud and the new stud.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          Hello, all.

I recently received, for Christmas, an "Everlast Platform Speed Bag 6-pc. Set" (http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Platf.../dp/B000E8XVVS) which is intended to be mounted on 16" center studs. However, looking at my garrage, it appears I have 24" center studs. There's no wall, dry wall or otherwise, covering the studs. There are three 1/2 inch diameter holes on bracket, itself.

I've searched the forum, and it looks like I'll need to construct a wooden frame to accomodate the 24" spacing. I planned to mount three horizontal wooden boards to the studs (similiar to the picture). The three pieces of wood I have available are 1x8x6 (not quite long enough to span 3 studs). In addition, I have six (6) hex lag screws in which to mount the wooden frame to the studs.

My questions are as follows:

1) Once the wooden frame is mounted on the studs, where on the wooden frame, should I place the bracket? Should I center it on the wooden frame, or have one side mounted through the wooden frame and into the stud?

2) What type of screw should I use to secure the brackets to the frame? The directions called the hex lag screws (1/2 x 1 3/4) going directly into the studs. Will the 1 inch thick boards provide enough support? (Drum, Brackets, bag, swivel, weigh in at roughly 20 lbs).

This is my first speed bag, and I'm anxious to use it. Thanks, in advance, for any input and/or advice you can provide.
          horizontal wall frame

I would respectfully disagree with Roc about placing the vertical wall stud in the middle of the board (straddling the wall stud with the vertical speed bag brackets.) I found my wall units, which I had done on several occassions in several configurations, to be more stable and less wall rumble if you attach one of the vertical speed bag brackets onto the wall stud. Use longer lag bolts or flat head wood screws, but sink them into the stud.

You can also double this configuration. First put up three horizontal braces. then Hang two vertical wood braces ( 2x4 or 1x4) on 16 inch centers - then put the vertical speed bag brackets on the vertical wall wood mounts. This effectively puts short wall studs on the "outside" of your horizontal brackets, but will work very well (IF you wall can support the extra weight of the wood). If you do that I would put one of the external vertical wood braces over a stud. straddling the stud just seems to lose the support of the stud.

I'd boot this to Chris, our master woodworker if he's skulking around somewhere online.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bruce
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Biff View Post
            Bruce, welcome to the forum. Since your garage's walls are wide open, why not buy 1 - 2x4 the needed length, vertically position it 16" on center from one of the existing studs and toe-nail it in to the exisitng framework. Then you could mount your platform on the existing stud and the new stud.
            That sounds like a reasonable approach... Thanks for the head's up.

Comment

• Roc Stone
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2007

'First put up three horizontal braces. then Hang two vertical wood braces ( 2x4 or 1x4) on 16 inch centers - then put the vertical speed bag brackets on the vertical wall wood mounts. This effectively puts short wall studs on the "outside" of your horizontal brackets, but will work very well (IF you wall can support the extra weight of the wood).'

This is more or less what I was trying to say.

If the frame is constructed solidly enough using a decent hard wood and adequate fixing hardware and covers enough of the existing wall studs, technically speaking it shouldn't matter where the wall stud is in relation to the SB platform brackets.

However;

If space and appearance or cost is a factor and you only want to use a smaller portion of the wall to reinforce just for the area you intend to use Then maybe you should take Alans advice and anchor into an exitsting wall stud, sure it would give you added reinforcement but that would be a last resort for me.
              The reason I say that is because these things send out an almighty tremor which will resonate throughout that whole wall and if like us you are going to use it for hours at a time it is better to disperse that tremor over a larger area than a smaller one.
              By locking into an existing wall stud makes that stud a main bearer and all the tremor is going to be focused in that particular area, where as if the platform is fixed to the frame independently from the wall studs the tremor is despersed across the whole frame and not focused in the one area which would be attached to the roof over your head.

My platform is into a brick wall and I have never had to mount one into a timber plastered wall but does that brick wall tremor; and the bigger the bag I use the more it tremors.
              I am a Boilermaker by trade, so that makes me a man of steel. Steel don't budge and when we fix something we weld it. Welders have the hottest rods.

Would you like to hear more...?
              sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...