• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mONgReL
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2009

who has the best platform

I have a desire to lose some weight. An okay to buy from the wife. And a bottom line of around 500 usd give or take.
    I have a wall... and I know how find a stud, drill and do lefty loosey righty tighty.
    I like to buy something quality and buy it once.... forever.
    I have a little speedbag experience from years gone by. I remember it being much more of a workout than it looked.
    So... what would you buy if you were me... and why.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If I were buying a platform now, it would be the Everlast adjustable model: http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVASB

It's rock solid, adjustable, and looks great indoor or out. I would however buy a different speed bag. The one that comes with it is a cheapie vinyl unit and really isn't what I would call a great bag. All the Everlast Pro Classic bags are excellent: http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVSB

NOTE: Don't buy from the everlast.com site, as those are the MSRP or list prices. Ringside, Walmart, Title, etc. all carry this equipment and have significantly better prices. The platform itself can be had from Walmart for $96 !

In regards to speed bag being an intensive workout or not, it all depends on what you do with it. Get a big bag and keep it going as fast as possible non stop and I guarantee you'll be huffing and puffing. Add in some footwork (Don't stand rooted in one spot) with a moderate bagging pace and it's a real decent workout cardio wise. Lastly, the best exercise is one that works for you. I don't do speed bag for exercise, I do it because I enjoy the rythmic entrancement it puts you into and the challenge. I also like things that are a bit "niche". Also it's convenient and easy - no gym fees, no commute to the gym, just walk out in the garage and start punching any day, any time.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, we're here to help!

Comment

• SpeedKilz
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Hi and welcome to the forum!

If I were buying a platform now, it would be the Everlast adjustable model: http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVASB

It's rock solid, adjustable, and looks great indoor or out. I would however buy a different speed bag. The one that comes with it is a cheapie vinyl unit and really isn't what I would call a great bag. All the Everlast Pro Classic bags are excellent: http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVSB

NOTE: Don't buy from the everlast.com site, as those are the MSRP or list prices. Ringside, Walmart, Title, etc. all carry this equipment and have significantly better prices. The platform itself can be had from Walmart for $96 !

In regards to speed bag being an intensive workout or not, it all depends on what you do with it. Get a big bag and keep it going as fast as possible non stop and I guarantee you'll be huffing and puffing. Add in some footwork (Don't stand rooted in one spot) with a moderate bagging pace and it's a real decent workout cardio wise. Lastly, the best exercise is one that works for you. I don't do speed bag for exercise, I do it because I enjoy the rythmic entrancement it puts you into and the challenge. I also like things that are a bit "niche". Also it's convenient and easy - no gym fees, no commute to the gym, just walk out in the garage and start punching any day, any time.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, we're here to help!
      I second everything Tim said. I also have the adjustable Everlast platform an love it. All i did was throw a bag of sand on top to reduce noise/vibration and improve rebound. If you were looking for something a little more heavy duty and needed even more ease of height adjustability look into this:

Only thing is, the Title platform doesn't come with the brace boards like the Everlast platform. All you need with the Everlast platform is a speed bag (highly recommend leather) and 4 lag bolts to attach it to the wall.

Comment

• mONgReL
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2009

Thanks for responding.

I had looked at the Title platform. I was worried that the two chrome bars used as the sliders may have a bit of play that would add to vibration as its used. I wasn't sure if the used linear bearings or a bushing of some sort... and how it would be locked into position.

I had planned on putting up a full backboard to spread the contact points with the wall over a larger area to reduce the stress on the lag bolting.

adjustability will probably be a factor... I'm full grown... almost at the point where i think i start to shrink.. but my son is 8... and I'm sure will want to hit the bag.

I had looked at the counter-weighted one... that was nice .. but around 600 I think.

I'm using this indoors... so I was hoping not to have to put sand on the top.

Looking at the everlast the wood crossbars are the only cross-bracing except the wood board itself. They attach at a single point making it possible to not mount square. I again was worried about stability. the ringside ones and b"something" all had welded metal cross-bracing and it looked to be heavier steel.

I was reading on some I love speed bag website about the benefits of a larger diameter board for say larger bags for someone new to this like me.
        The only ones I can find like that are gym models... so... is it really needed?

So.. since i'm indoors... let me add maximun stability minimun vibration to the list of desires. and adjustable for the boy.

I'm kinda buying sight unseen... so I'm really unsure.. thanks

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mONgReL View Post
          I was reading on some I love speed bag website about the benefits of a larger diameter board for say larger bags for someone new to this like me. The only ones I can find like that are gym models... so... is it really needed?
          It's necessary for the old school jumbo sized bags. I wouldn't say those are needed by you, but it's a nice flexibility to have. You can make your own larger hardwood drum later is one way to look at it. A jumbo bag may work on a 24" board, depending on the swivel.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for responding.

I had looked at the Title platform. I was worried that the two chrome bars used as the sliders may have a bit of play that would add to vibration as its used. I wasn't sure if the used linear bearings or a bushing of some sort... and how it would be locked into position.

I had planned on putting up a full backboard to spread the contact points with the wall over a larger area to reduce the stress on the lag bolting.

adjustability will probably be a factor... I'm full grown... almost at the point where i think i start to shrink.. but my son is 8... and I'm sure will want to hit the bag.

I had looked at the counter-weighted one... that was nice .. but around 600 I think.

Looking at the everlast the wood crossbars are the only cross-bracing except the wood board itself. They attach at a single point making it possible to not mount square. I again was worried about stability. the ringside ones and b"something" all had welded metal cross-bracing and it looked to be heavier steel.

I was reading on some I love speed bag website about the benefits of a larger diameter board for say larger bags for someone new to this like me.

So.. since i'm indoors... let me add maximun stability minimun vibration to the list of desires. and adjustable for the boy.

I'm kinda buying sight unseen... so I'm really unsure.. thanks
            Welcome to the forum.

I have that " counter weighted one _(SKU 400 by primefighter)" and it's a great board for quickly adjusting up and down, but it doesn't hit any better the everlast the Tim is recommending. I have hit that several times in the Foreigner speed bag truck and it's a rock solid board for a lot less money. IF you and one or two other adults of the approximately the same size will be using it, then for the price you can't beat it.

by the way, "BEST" of anything in speed bagging, (Boards, bags, swivels etc) is completely relative and subject to personal opinion. Basically it means someone has had good service from the one they have or have experience with, but many others may say another is best. For boards, stay with a two vertical bracket wall unit that you can attach to the studs in your wall location, that can be adustable to your life's needs, for a price you can afford. MANY boards will fit that scenario, especially with a bag of sand on top for extra stabilization. In speed baggin I have found that higher priced doesn't always mean better.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• mONgReL
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2009

Yeah I guess when I mean best.. I'm thinking durable almost to the point of being able to pass it down from generation to generation.
              As I look at a lot of the platforms.. they frankly seem to look alike except for the nameplate.
              the title looks like this ringside
              Ringside is the undisputed champion for boxing equipment and MMA gear. Shop gloves, punching bags, protective gear, and more at the best prices.

But I can't get side views.. so i can't be sure if there are any real differences.

Speedbag... i think i'm trying to watch your youtube video right now... but i have dial up so....

you based the attachment points out further.. have you or anyone ever gone completely thru the wall and bolt through to another 2x4 rather than lagging them into a stud.
              Its going to basically be me and my son (*) using it... so adjustable is nice. And having the adjustments be quality is important since it will be going up and down everyday.

Someone else has stuck three boards together on top i think rather than use a sandbag?.. or is that for rebound?

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

...have you or anyone ever gone completely thru the wall and bolt through to another 2x4 rather than lagging them into a stud...
                I didn't, but it was a thought, and I would of done so if I had to. My walls are thick plaster, and I had a heck of a time even finding the studs. Bought a better stud finder and still couldn't be sure, the readings were all over the place. I was afraid that the lag bolts might split off the side of a stud if I didn't get the bolts fairly centered.

So I used vertical hardwood 2x4s attached with many long, heavy, Torx head screws, and then lagged the rails into the hardwood boards and beyond.

Many ways to skin this cat, the proof is if the platform stays solid after much use. Maybe what I did was overkill, but the platform is solid, it's not going anywhere.

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Someone else has stuck three boards together on top i think rather than use a sandbag?.. or is that for rebound?
                  The beauty of sand is you can get A LOT of weight in a small package. A 50 Lb bag of sand is only about 15"x10"x5". To get that much weight in wood would take quite a bit, I think (I suppose it depends on the type of wood). The sand may absorb vibration better??? I don't know ... that's just a theory. I used to have weight plates on top, but those are NOISY.

IMO that Everlast platform is plenty useful with NO extra weight on top. Up until about 1 week ago I'd been punching on it with no add'l weight since October (when I got it). I've got a 50lb sand bag on top now, because I have one and didn't have anywhere else to put it.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

and do lefty loosey righty tighty.

HAha..... lefty loosey, righty tighty.....
                    I like to buy something quality and buy it once.... forever.

We all do but that's nearly impossible unless you are buying gold.... or so I'm told.....
                    So... what would you buy if you were me... and why.
                    I'd buy what Tim said because of the price... Putting something on top, (sand) etc... not only increases rebound, it muffles the whole board. that's a good thing in most cases. The cool sounds come from metal ball hook swivs!

Thanks in advance.

My daughter is 7 and goes for it too. she gets on one of my drum thrones. It probably isn't the safest thing in the world, but then again, she is well balanced, has killer eqilibrium, and compared to most of what we did as kids, this ain't nothin'! You can gets some kind of "mini-coffee table, or kids table , or something a little more platform like for your son. Or get him a pair of KISS boots!

And that is absurd!
                    Don't just pour sand on top, keep it in a bag! haha... just kidding...
                    I have dog food up on top. And for some reason my dog is emaciated! (haha, already used this joke in another post) haha.. I also have tire chains and a suitcase full of old pants. these items were already taking up space in the garage, now they are helping make it a Speed Bag Heaven!!!!!

I was reading on some I love speed bag website

What? No way! I thought this was the only one!! Tim, what's going on????about the benefits of a larger diameter board for say larger bags for someone new to this like me.
                    That's real old school. you can use a standard size 24" board and an 8x11 bag and pound away. I assure you if you do that for rounds of 3 minutes with one in between for a break, you'll feel it. If you go for speed and power, you get that kind of workout. I think a lot of us are also into the sensitive, technical side of advanced speed bagging. I think is not unlike the cat that can never catch the hummingbird in the jar! I love the whole concept of it! To keep it going fluidly and flawlessly requires a ot of patience and practice. And it really impresses people!
                    Yeah I guess when I mean best.. I'm thinking durable almost to the point of being able to pass it down from generation to generation.
                    I don't see why not for the most part......

I think increases rebound, but does not decrease volume as much as sand and things of that sort....
                    BAG ON !
                    And Welcome!!!!
                    MERRY BAGMAS!

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

...I was reading on some I love speed bag website about the benefits of a larger diameter board for say larger bags for someone new to this like me. The only ones I can find like that are gym models... so... is it really needed?
                      Here is the Everlast 4205, a 13 x 10 bag on a 23 1/2" composite drum. With the plastic ball hook it overshoots the drum and hits the wall and support rails. No good. With a modified chain link swivel, it does just fit.

If you buy a platform with a smaller drum and plan to upgrade to a heavier hardwood drum, you might as well upgrade the diameter at the same time. These big bags are fun to hit. Trading punches with an elephant, so to speak.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                        Here is the Everlast 4205, a 13 x 10 bag on a 23 1/2" composite drum. With the plastic ball hook it overshoots the drum and hits the wall and support rails. No good. With a modified chain link swivel, it does just fit.

If you buy a platform with a smaller drum and plan to upgrade to a heavier hardwood drum, you might as well upgrade the diameter at the same time. These big bags are fun to hit. Trading punches with an elephant, so to speak.
                        ah ha! thanks for the confirmation!. You have a better picture.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...