• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saifullah21
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2006

question about equipment

Greetings, everyone. I'm a regular on rosstraining.com, and I've been lurking around here for a minute. I intend to purchase a speed bag unit in the near future and would really appreciate any advice you guys could give.

I live in an apartment, so I would like to keep noise to a minimum. The only available wall, is a concrete wall, about 24 inches wide. I'm thinking of attaching 2 2"x4"s vertically, and then attaching the unit to them. I'll add lock washers since everyone recommends them. If necessary, I'll add a sand bag. Do I need to use those "tapcon" screws?

Are there any opinions about this model? http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...-platform.html

I'm obviously on a budget. I'd love to order an ibox, but would have to wait until next semester when the G.I. Bill kicks in.

Great forum, guys! Thanks in advance!
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

If attaching it to concrete, you will have to use the Tapcon screws. Be careful not to overtighten them.

I think any economy wall mount unit is fine for a beginner, including the one you have picked out.

I'd be concerned that even with the 2x4s to muffle the vibration your neighbors may not be too appreciative of the new hobby...

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Apartment speed bag

Originally posted by saifullah21 View Post
      Greetings, everyone....I live in an apartment, so I would like to keep noise to a minimum. The only available wall, is a concrete wall, about 24 inches wide. I'm thinking of attaching 2 2"x4"s vertically, and then attaching the unit to them. I'll add lock washers since everyone recommends them. If necessary, I'll add a sand bag. Do I need to use those "tapcon" screws?

Are there any opinions about this model? http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...-platform.html

I'm obviously on a budget. I'd love to order an ibox, but would have to wait until next semester when the G.I. Bill kicks in.

Great forum, guys! Thanks in advance!
      HI saifullah21

The unit you show in the link should be fine. I have used those economy models for many years. The vertical mounts of that unit are 16 inches apart. Your vertical 2x4's are great but I don't suggest you lay them right up against the concrete bare. It may help absorb the vibration to add a layer of padding (carpet, carpet pad, rubber runner etc) between the wood and the concrete.

The other noise issue is the swivel. The Ringside PS-3 is a very quite swivel, and has very true action.

Sandbags over the top will definitely help absorb the vibration of the board and also stabilize if for better rebounds. Smaller bags will also reduce your punching sounds and vibration.

Good luck with your set up.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
        • Sep 2006

A good, inexpensive material to place in between your studs and the bare wall would be used bicycle inner tubes. You can slice them length-wise and butterfly them out to be as wide as the stud. This would cut down on vibration quite a bit.

In addition to the sand bag you can also use a racheting strap to tighten the braces that support your drum. Check the platform on the left:

Speaking of drums, adding a wood round to the topside of board will also help a lot. You can pick up a wood round at your local lumber yard. Mine were $19.99 at OSH Hardware in Southern California.

Good luck, and post some pics after the install...

Comment

• saifullah21
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2006

Hey guys, thanks alot for the quick replies! I was hoping that a cheapo economy model could be modified to be sturdy. I figured that since I would be buying the swivel, and speed bag from ringside that they might have a model similar to the everlast. And they do! It's in the ringside holiday catalog for $40! I drove the grueling 20 minutes to Lenexa and picked up the platform, the swivel, and 2 top contender speed bags.

I just need two 2x4s, some rubber or padding for the 2x4s, tapcon screws, and a bunch of lock washers. Home depot is closed, so now I can only dream about speedbaggin.

The swivel did not line up with the holes on the 23.5" x.75" board, so I had to drill. Everything else came together pretty easily. I think I would like to add another piece of wood on top of the board as it seems lacking in weight. I think that maybe I'll get some thicker bolts for everything just to make it stronger. Is this a good or bad idea?

I'm thinking of attaching the padding to the 2x4s, then attaching the 2x4s to the wall with TAPCON screws. Then attach the unit to the 2x4s. Is there anything I forgot, or could do better?

Oh yeah, I have no idea where these go.

There are six of them, so obviously they attatch the unit to the wood, but how? here it is unscrewed http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...1/IMG_0083.jpg

Thanks again guys! You have no idea how excited I am to get started. I may be too ambitious by starting with a 6x9 size bag, but it was the largest of the cheap bags they had. I'll try to get some sleep tonight. I feel like a kid at christmas with a new rc car but no batteries.
          Last edited by saifullah21; 11-28-2006, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Economy equipment

Hey guys, thanks alot for the quick replies! I was hoping that a cheapo economy model could be modified to be sturdy..... I think I would like to add another piece of wood on top of the board as it seems lacking in weight. I think that maybe I'll get some thicker bolts for everything just to make it stronger. Is this a good or bad idea?
            that is an excellent idea. I did the same thing, Look at this board, (economy unit) and you will see white plywood over the top of the black wafer board. then I got longer stronger bolts, as well as bolted the swivel on. Here is a sample of how it holds up...

I'm thinking of attaching the padding to the 2x4s, then attaching the 2x4s to the wall with TAPCON screws. Then attach the unit to the 2x4s. Is there anything I forgot, or could do better?
            that would be my suggestion also.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Oh yeah, I have no idea where these go.
              http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...1/IMG_0082.jpg
              There are six of them, so obviously they attatch the unit to the wood, but how? here it is unscrewed http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...1/IMG_0083.jpg
              I forget what they are called, but they are used for attaching the unit to a concrete, brick, or masonry wall. You drill holes that are the size of the sleeve and then insert the whole thing into the hole and tighten the bolts. That draws the stud with the cone shaped end on it into the sleeve, which causes it to expand and anchor the stud very firmly into the wall. You then remove the nut, slip whatever it is you want to attach onto the stud, then retighten the nut.

They work pretty well, I just prefer tapcon screws because they're simpler.

My only advice is to consider going to a larger bag. I think you'll find the 6x9 too fast if you are a beginner.

Let us know how you progress and don't be afraid to ask questions. I wish I had this board available when I was starting.

Also, I don't know if you seen it or not, but take a close look at the site "Speedbag" created here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ it has a lot of useful information.

The next thing after the larger bag that you need to consider buying is the Speed Bag Bible DVD. Later on, you can get the book.

PM Speedbag for info on that.

You have no idea how excited I am to get started.
              Oh, I think I do!
              Last edited by Chris M; 11-29-2006, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• saifullah21
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2006

First of all, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all their help. It's finally up! After messing up about 20 holes, I finally got it.

I used the ends of a jigsaw-piece foam workout mat as the padding behind the 2x4s. I secured them with those blue tapcon screws(MAN, I suck at drilling!)

The only "mods" I did was replace some bolts, nuts, and washers with bigger ones, andadd some washers and lock-washers where I thought they could help.

Top contender 4"x7" next to my little fist.

It looks crooked because IT IS!!

It's pretty solid. I noticed that using more washers than they provided made everything more stable- in particular where the drum attaches to the frame. I'm so happy and my pinky knuckles are so sore! I'm sold!!

Comment

• saifullah21
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2006

I'm quite happy with the ringside super swivel (http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24601), I'm open to other options. I've never tried the ball and hook swivels, and it seems that the metal ones are somewhat of a rarity.

There's this one: scroll down http://www.fitness-equipment.com/aca...ystems_30.html

and this one: http://www.ambersports.com/asw3110.html

Any pros and cons for either of these?

I purchased a bag of sand and it really helped eliminate the noise and vibration. I was wondering if reinforcing the drum with more wood would further help, or if the sand bag was the most that could be done. I just want to know if the sandbag and the extra board do the same thing. Would thickening the drum after already adding the sandbag be redundant?
                  Last edited by saifullah21; 12-04-2006, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Boards and swivels.

and this one: http://www.ambersports.com/asw3110.html

Any pros and cons for either of these?

I purchased a bag of sand and it really helped eliminate the noise and vibration. I was wondering if reinforcing the drum with more wood would further help, or if the sand bag was the most that could be done. I just want to know if the sandbag and the extra board do the same thing. Would thickening the drum after already adding the sandbag be redundant?
                    Avoid that swivel. Way too long of an S-Hook, and they are very flimsy. The housing will wear quickly and the ball will fall out. I think you will be quickly disappointed.

I think adding the wood and sand bags would accomplish the same thing. Try the sand bags before going to the trouble to add the board over top. I think you will get much more weight and stabilizing force from the sand, particularly IF you use a large enough bag to cover most of your board.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...