• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MERC
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2009

New, and I need of your opinion!

Hello all! I am in the market to buy a quality platform. I respect the fact that a lot of you guys build your own platform, however, I do not have the skill or patience to go that route. With that said, I have narrowed my selection down to a Balazs non-adjustable 24'' drum, and the TKO adjustable 24'' drum Model #523CPL. I noticed that Balazs' products are mentioned here occasionally, but never TKO. They are both pricey, but TKO is about $100 cheaper. Is there a big difference between these two models? Which one would you buy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
  • TooSlow
    • Oct 2009

Amazon has the Century one for $99 w/ free shipping. I got it and it's VERY stable. Only problem I have is the fact that I have 7 ft ceiling which makes it a littie too low for me so I have to build my own handle. But if you have normal 8 ft ceiling, then that'd be my opinion. It's a very good platform and it's solid wood, not like the everlast cheapo which is not solid wood and have read that it cracked after a short time of use.

Also after I purchased mine, it just realized all I should have done was get a large square board and attatch it to my ceiling and I would have saved alot of money but oh well.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I don't have time or desire to build either...But you can get the badass Everlast adjustable platform as seen in the speed bag truck (3 at once) for 96.00 online at www.walmart.com. That's a great deal. But if you want to spend and increase the chances of a little more stability, definitely get an adjustable one. It is no fun to change bags a bit and not have a bigger or smaller bag sit at the right height.
      I guess you could stand on something, but that too is limited.
      But as long you are baggin', more power to ya!!!!!
      BAGS UP!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MERC View Post
        Hello all! I am in the market to buy a quality platform. I respect the fact that a lot of you guys build your own platform, however, I do not have the skill or patience to go that route. With that said, I have narrowed my selection down to a Balazs non-adjustable 24'' drum, and the TKO adjustable 24'' drum Model #523CPL. I noticed that Balazs' products are mentioned here occasionally, but never TKO. They are both pricey, but TKO is about $100 cheaper. Is there a big difference between these two models? Which one would you buy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
        Welcome to the forums!

The Balazs units are very nice. However, if you're going to spend a lot of money, my priority would be an ADJUSTABLE unit. It will work better for a variety of bag sizes, and will be helpful when families, friends, or children want to try out the speed bag. Balasz does make an adjustable unit (the i-box) that is fairly affordable, solid, and adjustable. It also looks very nice, which may be important, depending on where you are hanging it.

The Everlast adjustable unit that Spinsmashpop linked too is great - solid , adjustable, and affordable. One of these with a 50Lb sand bag on top are just about as solid as you could ever need, unless maybe you are going to be smashing some really, really big bags.

Comment

• Lefthook_mike
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by TooSlow View Post
          Amazon has the Century one for $99 w/ free shipping. I got it and it's VERY stable. Only problem I have is the fact that I have 7 ft ceiling which makes it a littie too low for me so I have to build my own handle. But if you have normal 8 ft ceiling, then that'd be my opinion. It's a very good platform and it's solid wood, not like the everlast cheapo which is not solid wood and have read that it cracked after a short time of use.

Also after I purchased mine, it just realized all I should have done was get a large square board and attatch it to my ceiling and I would have saved alot of money but oh well.

I'm loiking at a platform to buy myself....the one you have is stable? Does it come with all hardware needed?

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MERC View Post
            Of those two units I would go with the TKO adjustable 24" drum model #523CPL simply due to the word "adjustable". There are many speed bag wall units that are less expensive but I gotta admit that is one of the thickest boards I have ever seen. Probably hits very solid.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• buda315
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2009

Merc, what did you end up going with?

Personally I would choose the TKO. It is adjustable and it is made out of real 1 1/2'' hard wood, not 1 1/4" manufactured wood like the Balazs.

Anybody else have personal experience with the TKO?

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                Spin Master

• Aug 2008

if you dont mind spending a little extra go with Balazs . I have that in my gym. highest quality you can get...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...