• Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

money puzzle

Here's a Spalding bag, and its retail price in 1902,,,

And here's a speed bag of today and its wholesale price in 2009,,,

Kick Boxing Equipment Adjustable Gym Punching Bag Leather Boxing Reflex Speed Ball - Buy Punching Bag,Boxing Punch Bag,Speed Bag Product on Alibaba.com

Here's a familiar looking 6x4 model the same company in China makes,,,

If I were a money bag, I could buy 1000 bags at a price similar to 1902! Ancient Chinese secret, huh?
    Last edited by paranday; 10-14-2009, 08:58 PM.
  • The Baggist
    Vert Baggin' Master
    • May 2009

You find some of the coolest stuff PARANDAY very interesting! I came across the red/black one searching before, but not the Everlast in disguise. I have a couple of Cansco speed bags which I think they are not supplying anymore. The company is from Ohio but the bags are made in India. They are great bags , the leather is top notch and the rebound is amazing! I was trying to search for suppliers in India and did see some tempting bags but not that specific one. Like you said you can get them very cheap but only if you order 1000 or more! If you happen across any more cool finds especially Cansco's supplier please keep us posted!!! THANKS

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Amazing the swivels (just below the speed bag) they used back in 1902. I bet there were some good baggers back then even though it appears the equipment is much better today.

Comment

• MikeTarheel
        • Sep 2009

I can tell you that before I left Los Angeles when I lived there (I worked in the film biz there ten years coming out of college), I lived with a gal-friend whose grandfather was in her care. His name as Arnold. I lived there only 3 years, from when he was 86-89, which is when he died. And he was sad because he told me, Mike, I don't know anybody anymore - everybody I know is gone. I told him Not Me. He smiled and we both knew I didn't have a clue what he was talking about which was good enough for him.

He was, as I pieced it together, a Top 10 ranked boxer in the featherweight division in the years 1914-1926 or so...

He had, best I could piece together, about 114 fights (that he was, you know, I guess, paid for). He couldn't read or write, never learned how.

He had, I think, 9 children (most of them wound up in San Quentin). He was American Indian, Navajo.

I took care of him the last 3 years of his life - this was during the time the OJ Simpson verdict was read and he called it and was disgusted with it. I used to take him into the shower - at his constant 'not today' and take his socks off and get him in there and hold him upright so he wouldn't fall and I would sing to him...

Yes, he thought I was weird at first. But I rebuilt his gym there, and I Meant Business, and before it was over he would summon me with Smiles and I would Change Up his Meals (I've always worked from home in some fashion, whether it be writer or what I'm doing now) - because he would always he the SAME THING EVERY DAY: eggs, bacon, toast, tapioca pudding - every meal!! -- No, no, no, how about some Apples, some more fiber...

He loved to watch the Boxing on TV - I would sit and watch it with him, in Spanish, which we both understand. He could see things I would never notice now. I still have all his gear. He wanted me to have it. One thing I have which I've never - it's probably prevalent but I've never seen it before or since - is this thing I would akin to a PADDLE - only it's the size of about a RULER - twice as wide with a handle, and leather on BOTH SIDES (almost looks like something you'd sharpen a razor with at the old-time barber shops). It was for WHACKING THE KNUCKLES to make sure the TAPE WAS TIGHT AS ROCKS before they put the gloves on you. I still have two pair of his gloves (old and stinky, still, big and puffy like you'd see in a LITTLE RASCALS's program).

He was Too Old to show me much when I built the gym there, and it was...

I Miss Him.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
          You find some of the coolest stuff PARANDAY very interesting! I came across the red/black one searching before, but not the Everlast in disguise. I have a couple of Cansco speed bags which I think they are not supplying anymore. The company is from Ohio but the bags are made in India. They are great bags , the leather is top notch and the rebound is amazing! I was trying to search for suppliers in India and did see some tempting bags but not that specific one. Like you said you can get them very cheap but only if you order 1000 or more! If you happen across any more cool finds especially Cansco's supplier please keep us posted!!! THANKS
          I never heard of Cansco speed bags before. Apparently they are a boxing supplier.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• The Baggist
            Vert Baggin' Master
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            I never heard of Cansco speed bags before. Apparently they are a boxing supplier.
            Thanks Alan, I actually ordered from them before but the last time I contacted them they said they didn't have them at the moment and weren't sure if they would get more. I just shot them an email to get an update. I really think you would appreciate those bags, old school quality, great rebound, perfect shape!
            Last edited by The Baggist; 10-16-2009, 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by MikeTarheel View Post
              He was, as I pieced it together, a Top 10 ranked boxer in the featherweight division in the years 1914-1926 or so... .
              Mike, quite a story. Great job you did taking care of him like that. Sure hope you keep his gear. That has a lot of history. He must have been a tough guy back in his days.

Your story reminded me of a book I loved called A Flame of Pure Fire by Roger Kahn. It was about Jack Dempsey and his life boxing about the same time as the man you took care of. Some tough fights back then. The gloves were not as big or good as they are today either. That made it bad at the receiving end and the giving end by hand injuries.

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Something I want to mention. Tracking the worth of dollars historically by using the Consumer Price Index, that 1902 $8.00 Spalding bag would cost $206.53 in today's dollars. Using the Gross Domestic Product per capita calculation, that bag is worth $1,248.13 in today's dollars. Looked at in this way, we are rich today. We have great bags available to us, much more affordable than in 1902, many of us have multiple bags, and some of you have multiple platforms. When companies like Everlast hit one out of the ballpark with their $99 (sometimes $79) adjustable platform, only good things can happen. We are living on the dawn of the golden age of the speed bag. You think?

Professor Alan Kahn, by letting the genie out of the bottle, coupled with the value of money in our time, plus the Internet, plus the unlikely appearance of a Speed Bag Skunk, etc., makes speed bagging much more likely to go viral than ever previously. Add to all of the above the many other inspirational baggers appearing at this forum and on Youtube, and it's hard to even imagine the great things that are yet to happen. What a wonderful time we bag in.

To quote the great philosopher spinsmashpop -- "Bag on!"

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                  Professor Alan Kahn, by letting the genie out of the bottle, coupled with the value of money in our time, plus the Internet, plus the unlikely appearance of a Speed Bag Skunk, etc., makes speed bagging much more likely to go viral than ever previously. Add to all of the above the many other inspirational baggers appearing at this forum and on Youtube, and it's hard to even imagine the great things that are yet to happen. What a wonderful time we bag in.

To quote the great philosopher spinsmashpop -- "Bag on!"
                  Paranday, thanks for noticing my wizard philosophy skills! Yes! And my new name is Spinsmashpopates!
                  Yes, I agree with all of the above. They are all reasons that something as underground yet revered as the speed bag can gain popularity in an exponential fashion. Then we can all say, "ahhh, look at all these late-coming, trend-hoppers!" Haha.... anyhow.....

The power-phrase "BAG ON" is good, and really can fire up a room of psycho baggers! (Very "300" or "Braveheart"-like....) It also signs a bagger and his thoughts off very well, and on a positive note! .... But there comes a time when change is on the horizon like a new dawn rising, and the celebration of the spirit of the bag can only be summed up in two simple words.....to play off of the old drinking toast/Van Halen's song "Bottom's Up!", I give you the equally meaningful and literal........
                  "BAGS UP!"
                  Just as powerful as BAG ON! but even more appropriate in some ways!

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                    .. But there comes a time when change is on the horizon like a new dawn rising, and the celebration of the spirit of the bag can only be summed up in two simple words.....to play off of the old drinking toast/Van Halen's song "Bottom's Up!", I give you the equally meaningful and literal........
                    "BAGS UP!"
                    Just as powerful as BAG ON! but even more appropriate in some ways!
                    I see a round of drinks (maybe multiple) with a hearty "BAGS UP" will have to happen at SpeedB.A.G. 2010 It would be a crime if it didn't

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      I see a round of drinks (maybe multiple) with a hearty "BAGS UP" will have to happen at SpeedB.A.G. 2010 It would be a crime if it didn't
                      Two ELBOWS UP on that one.

and recently for BT, STICKS UP!
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...