X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Inflation for learning.

Just curious if anyone has had this experience. I have a bum air stem on my only bag right now. It's lost some of it's air, and is a bit under inflated right now.

Turns out that is has been a blessing in disguise for me. The bag has slowed way down, and I've been using that slower speed to learn new techniques, and focus on my control.

It has really helped me get out of the whole "hit as hard and fast as you can" mentality that I was in.

Anybody else pull some of the juice out to slow things down? Or does most everyone just use different size bags to alternate their speed?

Tim
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
    Just curious if anyone has had this experience. I have a bum air stem on my only bag right now. It's lost some of it's air, and is a bit under inflated right now.

Turns out that is has been a blessing in disguise for me. The bag has slowed way down, and I've been using that slower speed to learn new techniques, and focus on my control.

It has really helped me get out of the whole "hit as hard and fast as you can" mentality that I was in.

Anybody else pull some of the juice out to slow things down? Or does most everyone just use different size bags to alternate their speed?

Tim
    The bolded sentence says it all. Hitting as hard and fast as you can on any size bag is a lousy way to learn new techniques. On a small 8x5 bag it's almost impossible and on a larger 11x8 bag, the size of your swinging movements to hit hard will end up working against you on more distance dependent motions such as linking with single fists from different angles.

I have found that controlling your movements and force at half power or less is the fastest way to learn new things. When your brain becomes comfortable with that movement and timing you will automatically start doing it faster and faster.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

This is what I use my Rival 9x6 for, learning new moves. Out of all my bags, the Rival is the slowest and easiest to control, it's a bit like slow motion compared to the Cleto 8x5. I would never try to learn new moves with anything smaller, if I have the Speed Bag Bible out, you'll guarantee the rival is under the drum.

Advice that people like speedbag had given me when I started out.

Vini

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...