• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bezzer
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2009

Putting weight on top of platform

Hey everyone, Ive finally got my first platform mounted up (Its the everlast adjustable one). The platforms really solid however there is a bit of vibration on the drum and quite a bit of vibration through the wall. Ive noticed quite a few members of the forum put extra weight onto the drum. Does this help alot? And how much weight should you put on?
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey bezzer, congrats on the new platform; I'm sure you'll be happy with it. It is a good idea to add some weight to the top of the platform. I have a 25 lb. bag of rock salt (inside of a large trash bag). I also had a 35 ld dumbell, but I took that off.

Make sure all the bolts are snugged up tightly. Having a loose bolt can cause vibration as well. I can't speak to vibration through the wall, beacuse my platform is hung on wooden supports on a masonary wall in my garage.

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions. Good luck with it.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Many people go with the weight sand bags, dog food etc. over the board. How much weight is debatable but having it "spread out" over the board seems to be the most stabilizing way rather than one single heavy weight placed on top.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

I put a box on top filled with books. I'm not learning anything but my platform is solid.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
          I put a box on top filled with books. I'm not learning anything but my platform is solid.
          HA! See, after every third workout you take out one book out of the box and read it.

(then put it back on the top of the board and get another one....)
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
            HAHA!

I put a 35 lb bag of dogfood up there. It works great, but my dog is emaciated!

badat...pshhhh!!!! (snare drum, crash cymbal)

Comment

• BenzDo
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Sep 2009

I took a 45lb free wight (the one's with the handles), wrapped it in a yoga mat (the type that sorta sticks), and placed it on top of the board. At first I thought it would fall off, knock me over the head, and then I'd have one hell of a reason to get my own set up. However, before any of that could happen, the yoga instructor got a little um... nervous, about how her mat was being used, and so I took it down. for the few minutes it was up though, AMAZING!

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                • Sep 2009

It wasn't me who found this thread title Quite Inspirational.

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

80 Lb heavy bag on top of one platform, 50 lb bag of sand (in a plastic bag, wrapped in duct tape - to help prevent leakage).

It really does make an amazing difference.

Comment

• baggaholics
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Oct 2009

we put a 24lbs box with milk on the platform.... so if we get thirsty during the work out... so we'll get tall and strong!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by baggaholics View Post
                      we put a 24lbs box with milk on the platform.... so if we get thirsty during the work out... so we'll get tall and strong!

Welcome to the forum baggaholics.

Comment

• bezzer
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Sep 2009

Ive probably used the smelliest method of adding weight to the platform lol... A 25kg sack of garlic! Its the only thing i could find that would do the trick. Im gonna have to buy something else though cause my spare room stinks lol!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bezzer View Post
                          Ive probably used the smelliest method of adding weight to the platform lol... A 25kg sack of garlic! Its the only thing i could find that would do the trick. Im gonna have to buy something else though cause my spare room stinks lol!
                          It'll keep the Vampires away!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by bezzer View Post
                            Put the bag of garlic in another plastic garbage bag, unless you do in fact have speed bag vampires in your neighborhood..... I for one, don't even know what that is!
                            haha...

Comment

• TooSlow
                              • Oct 2009

I put my baby on it, he sits there quietly as I away. no no no J/K! (not a aprent yet) Would never do that. I tried my weight plates but it was a little noisy so I took a thick towel towel and place the 2 - 10lb plates on it. It helps but I might try with more weight to see if it's better. The sound reduced over 50% imo after placing the weights on it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...