To bag or to ball? That is the question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

To bag or to ball? That is the question!

Thoughts anyone?
    ============================
    Here are mine...
    Like the chicken and the egg; which came first, the ball or the bag?
    Was this cool invention invented...
    To learn speed?
    To create accuracy?
    To have speedy accuracy?
    To control speedy accuracy?

The Speed Bag, the Speed Ball, the Control Bag, the Control Ball, the Speedy Control ....... ahhhh.... I guess it is really...

"A ball of speed, accuracy and control in a bag!"
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

To me, the speed bag looks like a bag, not a ball. But, we can change the double-end "bag" to double-end-ball because is looks like a ball. That keeps it easy for an elderly person like myself.

But, we have a "ball" hitting them. I don't know, it is all to confusing for me already. It's time to watch Jeopardy.

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

To quote Monty Python:DOCTOR!! ME BRAIN HURTS!!
      sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
        To me, the speed bag looks like a bag, not a ball. But, we can change the double-end "bag" to double-end-ball because is looks like a ball. That keeps it easy for an elderly person like myself.
        But, we have a "ball" hitting them. I don't know, it is all to confusing for me already. It's time to watch Jeopardy.
        "looks like a bag, not a ball."
        Agreed. I think it looks like a ball IN a bag.

change the double-end "bag" to double-end-ball because is looks like a ball.
        Also agreed. never thought of that.....

"we have a "ball" hitting them."
        Agreed.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          Thoughts anyone?
          Here are mine...
          To learn speed?
          To create accuracy?
          To have speedy accuracy?

The Speed Bag, the Speed Ball, the Control Bag, the Control Ball, the Speedy Control ....... ahhhh.... I guess it is really...

Three words, Brian - TOO MUCH COFFEE.

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Can we label this, Comedy Central. You guys are cracking me up.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thoughts anyone?
              Here are mine...
              To learn speed?
              To create accuracy?
              To have speedy accuracy?

I think the term "speed BAG" is more an American term. All over Europe and other countries it is called a "punch ball" "speed ball" and "pear bag" (South Africa). Go on many of the international boxing and martial arts forum and you will find that it is rarely mentioned by them as a "speed BAG".
              When Ernie Oriente was in Prague Czech Republic, he said all the kids and attendees would say "oh, what a cute punch ball..." or speed ball or boxing ball. they rarely called it a "bag". I prefer the name BAG also.

As for speed, accuracy and control, I think the order would be accuracy, control, then speed. Without targeting and swinging accuracy, you'll never get control, and without swing and force control, you'll never get repetitive speed. I've seen a lot of "3 punch wonders". By the third hit, the bag is going so fast and their swinging so hard and large that they are lost. You hang out under a board long enough, you'll see lots of them. I can almost hear my bags crying when they are around: "Please take me down.... "
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

The Pear Bag!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                I think the term "speed BAG" is more an American term. All over Europe and other countries it is called a "punch ball" "speed ball" and "pear bag" (South Africa). Go on many of the international boxing and martial arts forum and you will find that it is rarely mentioned by them as a "speed BAG".
                When Ernie Oriente was in Prague Czech Republic, he said all the kids and attendees would say "oh, what a cute punch ball..." or speed ball or boxing ball. they rarely called it a "bag". I prefer the name BAG also.

As for speed, accuracy and control, I think the order would be accuracy, control, then speed. Without targeting and swinging accuracy, you'll never get control, and without swing and force control, you'll never get repetitive speed. I've seen a lot of "3 punch wonders". By the third hit, the bag is going so fast and their swinging so hard and large that they are lost. You hang out under a board long enough, you'll see lots of them. I can almost hear my bags crying when they are around: "Please take me down.... "
                Awesome! The Pear Bag! That'll throw a lot of Americans off! "Punch Ball" almost sounds like "punch bowl" which can really confuse people!
                I knew it was "ball" in the UK and figured that goes for Europe as well. So it is really only a "bag" in the states. Cool.
                All the names are cool.... but I would like to add one; "The Wizard Bag";
                'Cuz when one is getting' bagified and in control, it gives off the image of a wizard conjuring up some insane magic!
                BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

All the names are cool.... but I would like to add one; "The Wizard Bag"; 'Cuz when one is getting' bagified and in control, it gives off the image of a wizard conjuring up some insane magic!
                  BAG ON!
                  ...and When one is getting cantankerous, slippery, helicoptering and otherwise possessed, it can be a "Demon Bag" to.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

In France it's "poire de vitesse" and in Italy it's "pera veloce" -- they're the same, "speed pears".

But in English, give me speed bag. Because from this humble term comes the modern word "bagification", the most delightful word I ever heard, and I just learned it recently from you know who.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                      In France it's "poire de vitesse" and in Italy it's "pera veloce" -- they're the same, "speed pears".

But in English, give me speed bag. Because from this humble term comes the modern word "bagification", the most delightful word I ever heard, and I just learned it recently from you know who.
                      ...And LO, another innocent man becomes "Bagified".
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by paranday View Post

Paranday, you have the most wizard avatar of all!
                        Welcome to he wonderful world of Extreme Bagification!
                        Just remember, when you lose all hope of real relationships; you become angry and irate when going places that have no boards; the only fruit you eat is a pear; when you have an idea in your head, a light bulb no longer pops up, but an upside down speed bag does, and there is an intervention on the horizon that your family begs Alan Kahn and Skunk to attend; and lastly, when helping the clerk at the grocery get your groceries ready to go, you, for some reason, feel compelled to throw the groceries in the sack as quickly as you can, causing the clerks to runaway in fear as you say....
                        "what? what's wrong? I'm just working on my .....SPEED BAGGING!!!!!!!!"...
                        you've been warned and BAGIFIED!!!!!!!
                        B A G O N ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        ...And LO, another innocent man becomes "Bagified".

Comment

• The Baggist
                          Vert Baggin' Master
                          • May 2009

Paranday, you have the most wizard avatar of all!
                          Welcome to he wonderful world of Extreme Bagification!
                          Just remember, when you lose all hope of real relationships; you become angry and irate when going places that have no boards; the only fruit you eat is a pear; when you have an idea in your head, a light bulb no longer pops up, but an upside down speed bag does, and there is an intervention on the horizon that your family begs Alan Kahn and Skunk to attend; and lastly, when helping the clerk at the grocery get your groceries ready to go, you, for some reason, feel compelled to throw the groceries in the sack as quickly as you can, causing the clerks to runaway in fear as you say....
                          "what? what's wrong? I'm just working on my .....SPEED BAGGING!!!!!!!!"...
                          you've been warned and BAGIFIED!!!!!!!
                          B A G O N ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          HAHA B.T. Your twisted, analytical, poetic, metaphorical, comical, and ingenious way of looking at things is SCARY but awesome!.... But actually right on the money cause once your BAGIFIED there is NO GOING BACK!! RED bag or BLUE bag??? you decide Neo

Comment

• atgatt
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                            cause once your BAGIFIED there is NO GOING BACK!! RED bag or BLUE bag??? you decide Neo
                            Why is that so true? Many years ago in high school I was addicted to the speed bag but through moving so much in life and an accident, it got out of my life but I never forgot my times with the bag. Then over two years ago I get a speed bag setup for a gift, and the addiction sets in again and I will not let it leave.

So to me it is a dope bag because I can't kick the addiction.

Comment

• fingers
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • May 2008

Ha so true!! even at work when i start a sentence with the words speedbag! i am sure all the guys start rolling there eyes (behind my back of course) once a bag addict always a bag addict!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...